Parking Sensors

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Parking Sensors

Postby trig » Tue 19.03.2013, 17:01

Thought I would share this as it's a simple and cheap modification ,, I have just finished fitting rear parking sensor to the Elan which took about 1hour and cost £12.99 cheap n easy just how I like em :D

I know what your thinking the Elan ain't exactly a bus but I have a tight garage and I like to get the car as close to the roller doors as I can, I also have a drive that slopes up so looking over my shoulder through a fogged rear window is not the best option

Here's the kit I went for, it even has the drill bit/hole saw http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330340144598? ... 1439.l2649 there are kits even cheaper than this, found some for £10

I only used two off the sensors for now, which does the job but I may fit the other two in the near future to give me better coverage ..
I have cut 2x holes in the numberplate surround pulled the sensor-wires through and then through a small hole that already existed in the bodywork behind where the numberplate sits ,, the 2x sensor wires connect to the main box which tucks nicely behind the carpet trim next to the rear light wiring ,, the sensor main unit is simply fed by live+ and Neutral- ...the live/red wire from unit joins the reverse light positive wire via scotchlok and the Neutral/Earth wire joins any spare Earth point ,,,, I have put the buzzer on top off the washer-fluid bottle, sticks on with sticky pad provided...job done!

trig
Fanatic

Re: Parking Sensors

Postby Steve A » Sat 23.03.2013, 04:38

:goodposting:

The Elan can sometimes be a tight squeeze in a garage, so this could be a good solution.
I'm useing a well placed mirror and the wife holding table tennis bats a the moment :roll:
and carpeted walls help :wink:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby trig » Sat 23.03.2013, 09:03

I have to come out and park the car when the wife uses it....not that she is a bad driver but she is terrified of bumping it getting into the garage :chair:

I have become so used to parking sensors on my work van I find I cant do without them, couldn't believe how inexpensive they were,, recently ordered another set for the wife Saab estate
trig
Fanatic

Postby Rudders » Sat 23.03.2013, 12:21

Nice neat little job there, I always think non-factory parking sensors can look a bit of a mess, but they're fairly unobtrusive there, bargain at that price too
Rudders

Postby Rambo » Sun 24.03.2013, 23:48

Looks good. Very neat job. I like the carbon fibre plinth. Will you be able to hear the buzzer ok with the unit sited on the washer bottle ??
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby trig » Mon 25.03.2013, 18:00

Rambo wrote:Looks good. Very neat job. I like the carbon fibre plinth. Will you be able to hear the buzzer ok with the unit sited on the washer bottle ??

It's easily audible even with the stereo on , the alarm/buzzer could be moved into the roof storage but I think this would be too loud
Carbon fibre is just the stick on type 3M film and would be is easy to remove with hairdryer should I wont to return to stock ,, original plastic was looking a bit tired so this was a cheap makeover ,, No expense spared on my Elan £2 carbon film and £13 parking sensors :wink: I spoil that car :lol:
trig
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Mon 25.03.2013, 20:34

You can't tell that it's film rather than solid C/F and personally I think it suits the plinth rather than the boring, tired black plastic
Rambo
Don't push me

Return to Upgrades