Heated Seats

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Heated Seats

Postby Simon_P » Wed 06.05.2015, 18:10

I have A/C so limited on location. I would like to put the dual switch in the middle to maintain symetry, but rerouting the wiring for the Fog or Hazard doesn't appeal much, so I'll put it in the blank by the column.

I looked at the variable switches but went for the high/low for simplicity - now even simpler with on/off!
Simon_P
God

Postby dapinky » Wed 06.05.2015, 18:41

Simon_P wrote:... I would like to put the dual switch in the middle to maintain symetry, but rerouting the wiring for the Fog or Hazard doesn't appeal much, so I'll put it in the blank by the column.

Simon,

There is enough 'slack' in the wiring to the 3 sockets to swap them around if you really want to fit it in the middle.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Elanlover » Wed 06.05.2015, 19:26

dapinky wrote:There is enough 'slack' in the wiring to the 3 sockets to swap them around if you really want to fit it in the middle.

Definitely. :agree:
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby Simon_P » Wed 06.05.2015, 20:21

yes moving them around is ok, but I don't think there is enough slack to get one of the 3 switches to the column. or is there?
Simon_P
God

Postby Elanlover » Wed 06.05.2015, 20:43

Not sure I understand what you mean when you talk about getting one of the switches to the column?????
Elanlover

Postby dapinky » Wed 06.05.2015, 22:11

Simon_P wrote:yes moving them around is ok, but I don't think there is enough slack to get one of the 3 switches to the column. or is there?

Ah, with you now...... you have A/C, so there is no 'spare' place in the row of three.

No, not enough slack for that - the only option would be to splice a new loom of 6 or 7 wires which is an awful lot of effort for the result - but possible if you really wanted to.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Elanlover » Wed 06.05.2015, 22:36

I think I follow too now. UK car = rear fog switch. FED car = no fog switch and one blank inn its place for a seat heater switch.

Would you consider replacing the fog switch with something off the shelf (a round button switch for example) and moving it to the fascia panel by drilling a hole somewhere to fit it?
Elanlover

Postby Simon_P » Sun 24.04.2016, 09:48

Seats now heated and fitted temporarily to sort out wiring.
My concern is that the hot setting maybe too warm after a while and I want to use the Senator switch which is on or off.
Can anyone with heated seats fitted give input on heat settings?

Maz, with your electronics abilities are you able to come up with something that would work with input from a single pole switch? On warm, on hot, off for example?
Simon_P
God

Postby Elanlover » Sun 24.04.2016, 14:45

Simon_P wrote:Seats now heated and fitted temporarily to sort out wiring.
My concern is that the hot setting maybe too warm after a while and I want to use the Senator switch which is on or off.
Can anyone with heated seats fitted give input on heat settings?

Maz, with your electronics abilities are you able to come up with something that would work with input from a single pole switch? On warm, on hot, off for example?

I'm pretty sure that most heated seat systems include a thermostat of sorts to prohibit excessive heating. Once they reach a certain temperature they reduce the current to maintain that heat level. Mine certainly do and any new car with them have this failsafe. You might need to try running them for an extended period of time with your butt in the seat and see if that's how yours work.
Elanlover

Postby maz_r » Sun 24.04.2016, 15:10

Which switches are you thinking of using Simon? If it's the single ones there are a couple of challenges. Firstly, it would be easier if the switch was indeed momentary; my memory of the switches is that they are on/off toggle switches?

Secondly, how would you display the off/low/high setting? 2 colour LEDs are the obvious choice but you would need to butcher the switch to replace the existing LED with one of these.

And finally, how does the existing switch in the wiring work? I don't have one to take apart and investigate, so I can only guess how it works/how much power it passed etc.

Having said all that, it's all possible.

M.

ps I ought to get in before Geoff and say 'Embedded systems (NOT electronics), not too shabby'
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those that understand binary.....
maz_r
Binary Bodger

Postby Simon_P » Sun 24.04.2016, 15:57

maz_r wrote:Which switches are you thinking of using Simon? If it's the single ones there are a couple of challenges. Firstly, it would be easier if the switch was indeed momentary; my memory of the switches is that they are on/off toggle switches?
Yes the Senator double switch that you suggested earlier. Yes it is on/off toggle but logically on / off /on is not far from momentary on/off/on/off. and off could mean off rather than an additional on/off. Its only a question of time in the off position.....

maz_r wrote:Secondly, how would you display the off/low/high setting? 2 colour LEDs are the obvious choice but you would need to butcher the switch to replace the existing LED with one of these.
Yes LED orange red for example. Would change the switch but the butchering would all be in the background.
maz_r wrote:
And finally, how does the existing switch in the wiring work? I don't have one to take apart and investigate, so I can only guess how it works/how much power it passed etc.
it is a simple 3 position 3 wire switch on/off/on. The switch controls a relay which puts the elements in parallel or series - only about 50W

if you could come up with the embedded system I'll butcher the switch.

Simon.

P.s I love the way you refer to Electrical engineering as "embedded systems" but the mechanical engineering part as "Butchering"
Simon_P
God

Postby Fredjohn » Sun 24.04.2016, 18:24

Simon

Probably of no help whatsoever, but the heated seat kit I bought had a double rotary 6 position switch/rheostat: 0-5 settings, one dial for each seat. See picture below.
I mounted it in the vacant aircon switch socket, but realise you have a/c, so it could be mounted in either of the other 2 blanks. It was pretty much a perfect fit.

Seatheater.jpg

Maybe you could find a similar switch from a scrappie, or just buy a different heater kit to the one you have?? This one shown is only £31 for 4 panels ie 2 seats.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
MB E250 CDi coupe 2013
Boardman Endurance SLR 9.4 disc 2018
Rapido 746 2010
Lotus Evija Danish edition
Fredjohn
God

Postby Simon_P » Sun 24.04.2016, 21:34

Thanks Fred,

actually it is more about making this switch work.

maz_r wrote:What you really want folks, is one of these:

photo (1).JPG

Good luck finding one - took me over 3 years, but maybe I wasn't looking in the right places.....
Simon_P
God

Postby maz_r » Sun 24.04.2016, 22:34

Simon_P wrote:I love the way you refer to Electrical engineering as "embedded systems" but the mechanical engineering part as "Butchering"

I fail to see your point Simon... :wink:

Am I correct in thinking you want to:

turn the switch on to get low power
turn it off, then back on (relatively quickly) to get high power
turn it off and leave it and after (say) a second, assume you mean 'really off'

?

Sounds like quite a bit of switch twiddling to me, but it's not me that will be doing it :) Personally, I'd turn the switch into a proper momentary action (and in fact, thats exactly what I am going to do, but, to be fair, there is going to be next to nothing left of the original switch!). The upside of of your approach is the switch can remain unmolested as I had an idea about the LED feedback - what about if it lit up dimly for half power and fully for full - will require no 'butchery'?

I got a little bit lost on the parallel/serial setup; sorry if I am being dim - can you elaborate please.

And 50W is 4 amps at 12v, so not entirely insignificant amounts....
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those that understand binary.....
maz_r
Binary Bodger

Postby Simon_P » Mon 25.04.2016, 00:29

Martin,

OK will turn the switch into a momentary switch.

2 heating pads one in the base one in the back. each 25w
so at 12.5 volts gives 2 Amps and 6.25 ohms

In series they are 12.5 Volts, 12.5 ohms so only pass 1 Amp ie half heat

If wired in series they get warm in parallel they get hot. The switch switches a relay to put them in parallel or series
Simon_P
God

Previous

Return to Upgrades