Windscreen Washer Jets

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Windscreen Washer Jets

Postby Graaf » Sun 19.03.2017, 13:21

Not sure if this is the right place but.....

I've just fitted the Saxo washers to my Elan but the spray only reaches the bottom of the screen.

Any advice?

Thanks
Graaf
Fanatic

Re: Windscreen Washer Jets

Postby simonbuk » Sun 19.03.2017, 14:56

Can't you adjust them with a needle or something ?
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, currently River Thames........

Postby novacaine » Sun 19.03.2017, 15:10

I have the most style Saxo washer jets. I just had to angle my jets down a little, no one wants a shower whilst they are driving

1994 Lotus Elan S2 #170 (Steel Blue)
novacaine
Fanatic

Postby Graaf » Sun 19.03.2017, 15:37

simonbuk wrote:Can't you adjust them with a needle or something ?

Unfortunately they don't seem to adjust.

Also does anyone know of a more powerful pump?
Graaf
Fanatic

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 19.03.2017, 17:13

I had issues with my jets and found the VW pump fits and puts out a lot more volume. Replacing it didn't cure my issue… but moving the pipe away from the nearside bonnet hinge did. The pipe was being pinched when the bonnet was fully down but the jet pressure increases noticeably after releasing the bonnet catch. If this is not your issue, it could be worth checking the pipe for restrictions - try blowing back from the pipe connection under the bonnet.
As novacaine says, the Saxos do tend to spray over the top of the windscreen at low speed even with the OEM pump installed.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Rambo » Sun 19.03.2017, 17:25

GeoffSmith wrote:I had issues with my jets and found the VW pump fits and puts out a lot more volume. Replacing it didn't cure my issue… but moving the pipe away from the nearside bonnet hinge did. The pipe was being pinched when the bonnet was fully down but the jet pressure increases noticeably after releasing the bonnet catch. If this is not your issue, it could be worth checking the pipe for restrictions - try blowing back from the pipe connection under the bonnet.
As novacaine says, the Saxos do tend to spray over the top of the windscreen at low speed even with the OEM pump installed.

That's interesting. I always thought the Saxo boy racers deliberately moved their wiper jets to spray people on the pavement or cars behind :?

Now we know the truth so, sorry all you Saxo boy racers, I've been cursing you all for years :twisted:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Graaf » Sun 19.03.2017, 20:02

GeoffSmith wrote:I had issues with my jets and found the VW pump fits and puts out a lot more volume. Replacing it didn't cure my issue… but moving the pipe away from the nearside bonnet hinge did. The pipe was being pinched when the bonnet was fully down but the jet pressure increases noticeably after releasing the bonnet catch. If this is not your issue, it could be worth checking the pipe for restrictions - try blowing back from the pipe connection under the bonnet.

Thanks for this.

I'll have another look tomorrow.
Graaf
Fanatic

Postby Elanlover » Sun 19.03.2017, 22:35

Anyone ever consider (or actually do) adding a 3rd spray nozzle in the middle of the hood/bonnet? My old Saab 9.5 had 3 and they worked really well. Would be simple enough to drill a hole, add a nozzle and run some tubing to it.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Return to Upgrades