ESM Chips - Information & Help

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: ESM Chips - Information & Help

Postby tigerdog » Thu 13.06.2013, 15:52

If ESM's plan does not work out, you could have it shipped to me in the US and I could forward by post from California. First Class post is about $16 for a 1 lb. package. PM if you need to go this route.
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby grahamec » Sat 13.07.2013, 09:23

Hi
I have a Everest chip fitted and am wondering if its still the best one for me, could anyone tell me what benefits each of the chips provide ,fuel economy etc and if I returned to the stock chip would it cope with my 2.5" sans cat exhaust.
Been a long time out of the game.
Cheers
Grahame
grahamec
Fanatic

Postby Stef » Mon 29.07.2013, 15:11

OK

So I'm thinking of taking out my BBR kit and fitting a chip.

Has anyone else had a BBR kit? Or got a chip spare or wish to exchange for a BBR kit?
Men are like a fine wine.
They begin as grapes, and it's up to women to stomp the sh * t out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.
Stef
TVR/PistonHeads Ambassador

Postby Elanlover » Mon 29.07.2013, 15:20

grahamec wrote:Hi
I have a Everest chip fitted and am wondering if its still the best one for me, could anyone tell me what benefits each of the chips provide ,fuel economy etc and if I returned to the stock chip would it cope with my 2.5" sans cat exhaust.
Cheers
Grahame

Alan's site will provide an description of each chip. No idea about the stock chip with a 2.5 exhaust. Have you ported the wastegate? I had occasional overboost issues (especially on cooler days) until the porting was done but I suspect you may still have issues even with the stock chip. Do you get overboost cutoff now with the Everest chip?
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby ccb056 » Tue 30.07.2013, 01:18

grahamec wrote:Hi
Cheers
Grahame

I had a stock chip, 2.5 Piper sans cat, and ported the wastegate to 21mm and there was still a bit of boost creep, but no overboost.
See here: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=21952

With the mountain chip I have no boost creep and obviously no overboost.
1991 Lotus Elan Fed, Monaco White
Mobil 1 5w50, PureONE PSL14459, Redline MT-90
Piper 2.5 Resonator PCE; 21mm wastegate; Everest
Quaife ATB LSD, BCN Cables and Short Shift, Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R
ccb056
Enthusiast

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 30.07.2013, 06:36

alexg wrote:Thanks for this,

Is there anywhere else to get these, or does anyone have one spare, as they want $51 to ship it to the UK which makes the whole cost over $75 (about £45) which seems a bit steep, but I'll do it if there is no other option.

Cheers

Alex

Alex, it may be fixable and I think I made a couple of spares if you want to confirm it's the switcher first.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby rip » Tue 30.07.2013, 11:07

Stef wrote:OK

So I'm thinking of taking out my BBR kit and fitting a chip.

Why? I thought you liked it?
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby ESM » Wed 31.07.2013, 08:44

Elanlover wrote:Alan, do you have any plans for enhanced chips above the 5.3 Elysium? Always looking for more - which I completely blame on you are your chips. :-D

The current chips pretty much fully exploit the existing hardware. Significant further gains need more fuel (bigger injectors or, maybe, a bump in fuel pressure), a bigger or modified turbo, a 3bar MAP sensor which in turn need a lot of work on the ECU tables because tables using the MAP value as a look-up parameter are not exactly uncommon. Every one would have to be recalibrated for all the existing 0-2bar values and 2-3 bar values would have to be created from scratch for every table. I would really have to implement these changes on my own car to have any hope of developing them and it would take a lot of time (with a dyno) and more than likely cost a lot of money to develop. The uncertainty I have in
a) whether I can do it
b) whether I might go bankrupt in the act of doing it and
c) whether I'd be able to recoup the money I spent if I did do it
add up to make me a little leary about it.

In many ways it would be easier to use a third party replacement ECU but I'm never very sure how good the mapping on those ends up being. I'd like to find one that operates in a broadly similar way to the existing one so I might transfer much of the existing mapping but while there are plenty of speed density based drop-in ECUs out there they operate in somewhat different ways that make it difficult to do that.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to sit on your arse with a blank look on your face.

Click on my WWW link for information on chips and ElanScan.
ESM
God

Postby Elanlover » Wed 31.07.2013, 12:10

Soooooooo..........that's a no???

:-D
Elanlover

Postby ESM » Thu 01.08.2013, 10:08

A maybe - how many people would be interested? How much would they pay? I'll look at the potential costs and if they aren't insane make up a poll to see how many people would be interested around the probable cost.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to sit on your arse with a blank look on your face.

ESM
God

Postby ESM » Tue 06.08.2013, 17:30

I've just run out of stock of the V4 boards... I've ordered new stock and, I'm afraid, re-assessed my pricing upwards across the range :? . It's the first rise since I started doing them and it's still well below the price of most other Elan upgrades.

I have plans for new developments. I've ordered a new whizzy gadget to help me figure out more of what goes on in the ECU, it does address tracing amongst other things, and I'll also have to install the broadband sensor I got an age ago as well as a logger to capture the output.

I have some dyno data for some new performance maps coming that might make their way onto new chip versions as well (thanks to Steve Mathews for being power hungry :D ).

ESM
God

Postby ashm » Tue 06.08.2013, 19:04

Ooh, did I get the last Everest at the original price? :)
Adam
ashm
God

Postby ESM » Tue 06.08.2013, 19:18

ashm wrote:Ooh, did I get the last Everest at the original price? :)
Adam

Pretty much - you just scraped in under the wire.

ESM
God

Postby Peter_W » Tue 06.08.2013, 23:54

ESM wrote:A maybe - how many people would be interested? How much would they pay? I'll look at the potential costs and if they aren't insane make up a poll to see how many people would be interested around the probable cost.

I believe it's safe to say I'm one of MANY here who would be very interested in that information!

ESM wrote:I have some dyno data for some new performance maps coming that might make their way onto new chip versions as well (thanks to Steve Mathews for being power hungry ).

Excellent - way to go Steve!
"Those who know don't have the words to tell
And the ones with the words don't know too well"
Peter_W
Fanatic

Postby Elanlover » Mon 23.12.2013, 22:24

ESM wrote:................... I have some dyno data for some new performance maps coming that might make their way onto new chip versions as well (thanks to Steve Mathews for being power hungry :D ).

Get anywhere on this Alan or, with the winter here, is this a spring project?

(Steve's not the only one who's power hungry!)
Elanlover

Postby HJ2 » Mon 23.12.2013, 22:53

... jumping around like my Jack Russel now! ...
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Postby ESM » Fri 24.01.2014, 15:31

I haven't got the data yet... I'll see if I can encourage things along :poke:

ESM
God

Postby tigerdog » Fri 24.01.2014, 18:08

ESM wrote:I haven't got the data yet... I'll see if I can encourage things along :poke:

Hear hear! Please do!
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby Dico » Fri 31.01.2014, 16:34

ESM wrote:A maybe - how many people would be interested?

I would be interested. In the unlikely event you require a vehicle to work with I thought I would let you know mine is available. For any amount of time you require. It's currently been off the road for around 4 years so I would be in no rush to get it back.
It has the LGM turbo kit fitted, with the larger injectors and 3 bar map sensor. I believe in its current state it is running far too rich.
4+ hours stuck in a damp bucket seat with a mad Irishman at the wheel - Deep joy!!!!
Dico
Fool Boy Four - Founder

Postby tigerdog » Fri 31.01.2014, 17:05

:goodposting:
3 cheers for Dico!
tigerdog
God

PreviousNext

Return to Upgrades