Samco silicone coolant hoses, possible group buy.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Samco silicone coolant hoses, possible group buy.

Postby HJ2 » Tue 19.05.2009, 08:43

euh... Samco?! :banana:
At least... that's what i have in my S2. Fit's like a dream and looks great.
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Postby kmckmc » Tue 19.05.2009, 12:38

Dapinky, I have put part #s next to those hoses.

So, guys, do you know what TB1839 looks like? I think mine was missing.
Elan M100 S2
kmckmc
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Tue 19.05.2009, 13:07

Micheal,

Thanks for that - It's just what I needed!

....in the spirit of Karma, one good turn deserves another....

TB1839 is the other end of 1838! - the fat pipe 'T' piece (It arrives as one piece, but there is a 'joint' in the middle - where the metal clip is)
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby muley » Tue 19.05.2009, 23:45

max and andy wrote: Does anyone do a generic hose kit for the S2? A&M

Yes, the S2 set is from the same source. Specify S2 when ordering. All similar except you get a metal jointing piece as well. I'll be fitting mine tomorrow so I'll fathom out where it goes...

Jim
LEC Turbo Nutter
1995 Palacio S2 no 507 : 1991 Aqua Blue SE Honda Jazz 1.3 2006 Ford Focus 2.0 Duratech
muley

Postby max and andy » Wed 20.05.2009, 00:10

Is there a lot of difference in price between a generic set for an S2 and a Samco set? Can you get the same sort of colour range. And what does generic mean?
A&M
max and andy
God

Postby MattDon » Wed 20.05.2009, 00:38

max and andy

i dont think there is a generic (meaning in this instance hose from any other maker) version of this kit, samco developed it and its specific to our cars and im not aware of anyone else who makes it. If you wanted to tidy up the engine bay you could order some generic or samco hose in various sizes and cut it to fit, but you will find alot of our hoses are odd sizes, for example bigger at one end than another, which will make it difficult. But if your just talking about the coolant hoses then your only real choice is the samco kit.
please use email for contact
MattDon
God

Postby dapinky » Wed 20.05.2009, 00:59

Some / most of the original hoses are still listed at places like SJ sportscars, but I wouldn't like to use them.....

...there is probably nothing wrong with them, but they would have been made at the same time as the ones fitted to the cars, and been lying about for the past 18 years.

Rubber will tend to age badly if it isn't stored correctly (and I'm not suggesting that it has been stored poorly), and the original hoses are 20 odd year old technology.

Samco are silicone made, so will withstand higher temperature / pressure than rubber (thereby reducing the chance of a 'blow out').

As with all things Lotus, OE parts can be expensive anyway, and a set of OE hoses would probably cost far more than a set of Samco ones (mainly because they are priced individually, not as a set, as not many people would want to replace a complete set of original hoses with something similar, just for the hell of it).

The Samcos are availlable in lots of different colours, including black (if you wanted them to look fairly original).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Attention James - if you're still following this topic

Postby tigerdog » Fri 24.07.2009, 08:17

algirdas wrote:Dear James:
It sounds as if you are in constant communication with Samco. Any word from them about the funky little hose needed to complete the Fed kits?

tigerdog wrote:Yes, please. It's like a dark cloud over my head.

james@amber wrote:i have spoken to samco today and they are going to have another look at this for us. i will let you know what the say, once and for all.

Has Samco ever been able to duplicate the double right-angle hose for the Fed cars? Another year down and mine is still together but worry a little every time the thermostat opens. If not the double-right exactly, any chance they might make something that would "just fit"?
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby ovi » Thu 27.08.2009, 08:24

I've only need Samco TB1828. Goes from the radiator to the thermostat.
Had this ordered at Lotus here in Belgium but have received one which is about 10 cm too short!!! :evil:
Can I just order this gut?
It is an Elan SE 1992.
ovi
Enthusiast

Postby BFG in the BRG » Sat 12.09.2009, 12:08

Hi guys and gals,

I've scanned this thread and am now cross-eyed :shock:

Any idea how much for a set for the BRG and which hoses are included - its a UK 1991 SE Turbo - no AC,

Being adventurous I was thinking of either BRG or black.

Also - where would is a good source for self tightening spring-type clips, rather than jubilees.
Alas soon to be Elan-less
I keep telling myself it is for the best
BFG in the BRG
Fanatic

Postby inkitin » Sat 12.09.2009, 12:46

BFG in the BRG wrote:Any idea how much for a set for the BRG and which hoses are included - its a UK 1991 SE Turbo - no AC,

I've just recently bought a full set, in black, from James at "Amber Performance". They were almost exactly £250 including S/S clips and P&P.

They sometimes put them on E-bay a wee bit cheaper than that (about £225 if I remember correctly).

The BRG colour may cost a little more. Again, not completely sure on that.
91 SE Calypso Red

inkitin: 28/09/1949 - 23/07/2014
inkitin
Sadly departed but never forgotten

Postby davidjt » Thu 24.09.2009, 10:02

I have a complete set in red + clips, now surplus to requirements: any offers?

:D
davidjt
Fanatic

Postby tigerdog » Thu 24.09.2009, 23:21

davidjt wrote:I have a complete set in red + clips, now surplus to requirements: any offers? :D

You might do better posting this in the Parts For Sale section. Not sure how many people are going to wade through all the pages of this thread.
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby Elanlover » Fri 25.09.2009, 00:44

tigerdog wrote:You might do better posting this in the Parts For Sale section. Not sure how many people are going to wade through all the pages of this thread.

Yup :smt023
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby BFG in the BRG » Thu 07.01.2010, 17:48

Just to let you know - I've just ordered a set of Samco's incl SS Clips for a 1992 SE Turbo current price is £262.42 incl VAT and delivery.

The LEC Discount still rocks :banana:
Alas soon to be Elan-less
I keep telling myself it is for the best
BFG in the BRG
Fanatic

Postby John_W » Thu 25.02.2016, 21:47

Ten years after the group buy, I have finally got round to fitting the Samco hoses (following the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy - it still ain't broke, but I'll be doing a long European trip this summer and don't fancy being stuck up an alp without a cooling system).

I would just like to say that I would love to meet the person who thought that fitting the original turbo and throttle body water hoses using those little spring clips was a good idea, and explain to him, with the aid of a baseball bat, why it is not so.

:smt021 :smt076 :smt075

Slightly worrying was the fact that the small hose from the throttle body to the temperature sensor block had no clip on it whatsoever! There was the imprint of where one of those ruddy spring clips had been, but the hose was just a push-fit. I've had the car for 15 years and there has been no work done in that area, so it's presumably been like that for at least 15 years - amazing that I've never had a water leak.

John
Last edited by John_W on Thu 25.02.2016, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby tb10 » Thu 25.02.2016, 21:52

"after ten years" :lol: :lol: and if there are any other kits out there which haven't been fitted and won't be and the M100 is long gone, email me please as I'm looking for a set of hoses!

regards

John
tb10
God

Previous

Return to Upgrades