remote boot release

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

remote boot release

Postby dapinky » Sat 05.05.2007, 21:24

I wasn't sure if this should be in upgrades , electrical, or bodywork - please feel free to move it if you want to :roll:

Okay, here's the story, i was getting paranoid of locking my keys in the boot, also, i didn't want the hassle of having to take the keys out of the ignition every time i wanted to pop the boot, so i decided to sort out the lock system to work in a better manner, and with only minimal damage to the original structure.

I know other people have tried similar systems, with a release cable, but i wanted it to be a rigid mount on the solenoid, with a rod to operate the lock.

The pictures speak for themselves, but it is a simple way to address the problem, if you are prepared to invest a little under ten quid and a couple of hours of your time (and also brave enough to chop bits of the fibreglass away).

You will need to buy one of these and also something like this, all that you need other than this is a bit of wire, connectors and a fuse holder.

Easiest way (but not the first way i tried :oops: ) is to unbolt the boot lid and place it on a padded surface. Remove the latch (2 screws) then remove the key barrel (spring clip). try not to drop the back plate from the latch too far down the frame - it can be retrieved with a magnetic stick and a bit of shaking!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Doug » Sun 06.05.2007, 07:03

nice job!

how about the wiring job:

where did you splice into for the hot wire?
ground is fairly obvious
where did you put fuseblock?
what's right behind where you put the release switch?
(important to know fuel tank is in that area too :shock: )

aren't there some smaller versions of that pop motor/solenoid ?? --- this is what I mean by smaller
Last edited by Doug on Sun 06.05.2007, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby F1 LOTUS » Sun 06.05.2007, 07:10

Good one Pinkers! 8)
F1 LOTUS
God

Postby dapinky » Sun 06.05.2007, 13:13

Doug, I'll answer the easy ones first!

Fuel tank is on the other side of the car - I'm English :-D

There is a void area behind the 'B' post trim, and there is plenty of room to locate the switch/wiring so it doesn't touch/foul the seatbelt webbing.

Wiring from the switch just passes through a hole (which i had to drill/grommit) into the battery compartment.

Next to the battery is the earthing block - just a loop connector onto one side of the switch, the other side to the solenoid. The power from the solenoid goes straight to the +ve connector on the battery (it was the easiest permanent live to find :D ), but it goes through an in-line fuse holder with a 5amp blade fuse, which is fixed to a handy piece of plastic next to the battery.

I did consider a smaller solenoid, but this one was available easily at the time i was looking to buy :oops: .

You would have to chop a hole in the boot frame anyway, and it doesn't intrude on boot space at all. It is reasonably unobtrusive (can't be easily seen from the rear with the boot open - only if you stick your head into the boot area!

I think a perfectionist may prefer a smaller solenoid totally enclosed inside the frame, with a nice cover to allow access, but as a 'prototype' i am quite happy with it! (I might have to look into the other option though, now i know that the system works!)
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby dans » Sun 06.05.2007, 15:57

:goodposting:

Top job Dave!! Like it!

Better add it to the list of things to do ....... :roll:

Dan
dans
Fanatic

Postby Doug » Sun 06.05.2007, 19:08

No gripes by me at all -- it is a great job!

just trying to help get more info for others who may be interested in doing the same (as I would if I had an Elan :( )
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby Enright » Sun 06.05.2007, 21:20

Dave, does your solenoid automatically return to it's rest position when not energised?

I have a spare solenoid sitting around but it stays wherever I move it to. I think it needs an extra spring fitted.
Striking fear into the hearts of duplicate posts everywhere...! :P

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
Enright
Modificator

Postby dapinky » Sun 06.05.2007, 21:42

Neil,

There are various types of solenoid available.

If you get a '3-wire' one, it needs voltage one way to pull, then the other way to push.

I used a straight '2-wire' one, it rests in the centre of its travel, then depending which way you connect the wires, it either pulls or pushes for as long as the power is connected, then returns to its rest position.

I set it up to 'pull' for the moment you make the conection (or just touch the wires, if you dont have a switch!), then it re-sets when you release the button (fairly instantaneous).

Obviously, you cant use an on/off switch, because it would keep the solenoid energised and either burn it out, blow the fuse, or drain the battery! (unless you switched it off straight away!).

Scrap yards / breakers / e-bay is full of various boot release switches from various cars, but the one i got from a Saab looks the most 'natural' as it's the same size & shape as the mirror and window switches. (IMO).
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby surfboardfiller » Wed 09.05.2007, 09:23

Nice one Pinkie, now I want one! :-D Been thinking about this for ages, well since the last bloke to do it, Clemo? was it you?

Does this only work with the ignition on?
surfboardfiller
God

Postby GeoffSmith » Wed 09.05.2007, 12:48

surferphil wrote:Does this only work with the ignition on?

Phil, it's hard wired to the battery so it will always work.

Say hello to London and the M-I-L! :evil:
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Elanlover » Wed 09.05.2007, 13:48

Nice job Pinky! That's worth considering for a winter project at the end of this year.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby surfboardfiller » Wed 09.05.2007, 14:03

geoffsmith wrote:
surferphil wrote:Does this only work with the ignition on?

Phil, it's hard wired to the battery so it will always work.

Say hello to London and the M-I-L! :evil:

I think I'll pass through the ignition, and program my alarm to open the boot with the key fob (to open when the ignition is off).

Althouygh I'll need a button on the dash to fit the blank above the alarm LED. Any idea where to get one Mr Pink?

Luckily there are 10 million other people here in London, so I have managed to evade your M-I-L so far :D
surfboardfiller
God

Postby paulwatkins » Wed 09.05.2007, 14:48

Phil,
What if you lock your keys in the boot? :? (and dont have a spare key to hand)

One of the benefits of having a switch wired from a permanent live is that you can release the boot catch even if you dont have the keys on your person.....ideal for those little mishaps :oops:

Aghhhhh....but what if you lock the keys in the boot, and you've got your roof up? Well I'm sure a suitable implement could be squeezed past the seals to hit the switch!
paulwatkins
God

Postby surfboardfiller » Wed 09.05.2007, 19:07

paulwatkins wrote:Phil,
What if you lock your keys in the boot? :? (and dont have a spare key to hand)

One of the benefits of having a switch wired from a permanent live is that you can release the boot catch even if you dont have the keys on your person.....ideal for those little mishaps :oops:

Aghhhhh....but what if you lock the keys in the boot, and you've got your roof up? Well I'm sure a suitable implement could be squeezed past the seals to hit the switch!

:roll: "what if I lock my keys in the boot" Well then they'd be in the boot wouldn't they. If I lock my keys in the boot now I'm screwed anyway.

I think the solution is not to lock your keys in the boot, like not driving through a red light or eating yellow snow.

What if i park my car with the roof down (like I do) and someone opens the boot and steals all my things (like they will)! :roll:

With a remote I don't need to use my keys so they shouldn't be near my boot. Rule number one of Elan ownership: Don't put your keys in the boot!
With the buttons I can leave the keys in the ignition or my pocket and have a nice button on my dash with all my other nice buttons. :-D
surfboardfiller
God

Postby dapinky » Wed 09.05.2007, 19:13

Paul,

I have a cunning plan for just such an eventuality of locking the keys in the boot, with the hood up and car locked........

Apart from the fact that most elans have a gap above the windows that you can get a wire coat hanger through to release the lock......

As the solenoid is wired to permanent live, and it's the switch which completes the circuit to earth, if i re-direct the wire (actually, i'll take a spur off the section from solenoid to switch), and leave that spur dangling in the rear wheel arch (well, not actually dangling, but you follow the principle) so that it's hidden but available(ish).

Then you can complete the circuit by simply touching that 'dangle' to any earth (lots of choice in the wheel arch!) and release the boot lock.

May be an idea to keep a spare ignition key secreted in the boot for just such an occassion as well in case i loose the keys :roll: .

I have considered the nightmare scenario of locking keys in the boot, car locked, hood up and flat battery, and decided there are 3 options (4 if you include the coat hanger through the gap!), call the breakdown recovery service, get spare keys from home, or reverse the solenoid wires, have a permanent earth with a switched 12v, still have a dangly wire and then you can connect any 12v supply (jump leads?) to the chassis and the wire, thus flicking the solenoid to open the boot.....

.....but as i can't see that scenario happening a lot, i'm not going to worry about it!

Blair,

Why wait til winter? it only took about 3 hours start to finish!
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby Elanlover » Wed 09.05.2007, 19:41

dapinky wrote: Blair,

Why wait til winter? it only took about 3 hours start to finish!

You should see my current project list :roll: I meant winter 2008/09 by the way :wink: Beside, don't you know that winter in Canada starts in July???? :lol:
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby Enright » Wed 09.05.2007, 20:22

dapinky wrote:May be an idea to keep a spare ignition key secreted in the boot for just such an occassion as well in case i loose the keys :roll:

So let me get this straight Dave - your solution to accidentally locking your keys in the boot is to now deliberately lock them in the boot?!? :lol:

Oh OK, I suppose I shouldn't laugh too much...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Striking fear into the hearts of duplicate posts everywhere...! :P

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
Enright
Modificator

Postby paulwatkins » Wed 09.05.2007, 20:41

Phil, I wasn't talking about locking keys in the boot ON PURPOSE!!!! :roll:

Of course the answer is do not lock your keys in the boot. Thanks for pointing out the obvious though.

I dont understand what button on the dash you are talking about now...in your previous post you were just going to use the alarm fob button :?

How exactly would you do it?
paulwatkins
God

Postby dapinky » Wed 09.05.2007, 20:50

Neil,

Looks like at least you understood what i was trying to achieve!

Neat solenoid (better than my 'T' shaped one - but i'm looking for a smaller one now i know the system works......keep watching for further updates)

I'm sure Geoff could get his hands on a suitable smaller unit :poke: ?
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby GeoffSmith » Wed 09.05.2007, 21:25

dapinky wrote:I'm sure Geoff could get his hands on a suitable smaller unit :poke: ?

Huh?

Why not drill the lock out and you'll never have to worry again about leaaving your keys in the boot, whether the hood is up or down, whether the ignition is off or on or whether the door is open or closed. :twisted:
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Next

Return to Upgrades