remote boot release

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: remote boot release

Postby Rice crispy » Fri 19.08.2011, 21:25

May have a go at fitting mine this weekend :D is it easier to put the solenoid further away from the lock? Or closer ? Also was going to use bike brake cable inner to connect but after looking at this thread may try to use a piece of wire coat hanger to connect them.

David

Well took the plunge this morning and off came the bootlid, onto the workshop table and out came the Dremmel. all went to plan well mostly to plan as the lock mounting bracket was a bugger and it took about 10 minutes to turn it round and get it back in place :x all went ok after that :) total cost was about £11 as i got a Fiesta mk4 kit off ebay which had the switch included which is a nice compact unit, will take a couple of pictures tomorrow if i get a chance, can't wait for Donington next year as i'm going to throw they keys in the boot on purpose :lol: and still be on time for the convoy :wink:
Rice crispy
God

Postby Rob P » Mon 08.04.2013, 18:27

Hi there, I really fancy doing this mod to the new car I bought last week but reading through this thread this would appear to be an option of many guises, I'm heading to Donington so would like to possibly sneak a peek at some of these various if possible before purchasing the required items and having a go :D
simplify and add lightness
1991 Norfolk Mustard Yellow SE - Gone but will never be forgotten :-)
1969 Lotus Elan S4 - Wedgewood Blue
1997 Lotus Elise S1 - Metallic Racing Green
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby maz_r » Mon 08.04.2013, 18:49

Mine will be there; no cutting required with the method I used.... :D
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those that understand binary.....
maz_r
Binary Bodger

Postby Rob P » Mon 08.04.2013, 19:00

maz_r wrote:Mine will be there; no cutting required with the method I used.... :D

Thanks will need to seek you out at the show for a wee peek at this and then my modding will begin :D
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby Fredjohn » Mon 08.04.2013, 20:18

I will also be there: no cutting required for mine either. Only did it last Oct, so bits are still available. J reg NMY :gathering:

See you!
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
MB E250 CDi coupe 2013
Boardman Endurance SLR 9.4 disc 2018
Rapido 746 2010
Lotus Evija Danish edition
Fredjohn
God

Postby Rob P » Mon 08.04.2013, 22:51

Fredjohn wrote:I will also be there: no cutting required for mine either. Only did it last Oct, so bits are still available. J reg NMY :gathering:

See you!

Cheers, always good to see options and work out which I can complete, plus good ice breaker to help me into the Elan scene :D
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby Fredjohn » Mon 08.04.2013, 23:09

Rob P wrote:
Cheers, always good to see options and work out which I can complete, plus good ice breaker to help me into the Elan scene :D

Me too actually: joined only last August and have met only one LECer so far: looking forward to meeting several at Donington shortly and some more international ones at the Ypres meet in May :burnout: :burnout: :gathering: :gathering: :cheers: :drunk:

John

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
MB E250 CDi coupe 2013
Rapido 746 2010
Fredjohn
God

Postby Rice crispy » Tue 09.04.2013, 10:14

Mine is cut and you are welcome to see it at Donington. i will be the twit smiling when i shut my keys in the boot :banghead: and can get them out :lol:
Rice crispy
God

Postby dapinky » Tue 09.04.2013, 13:56

Mine will be there with the "Mk 1" version (plus the electric fuel cap release) so you can see how various people have 'improved' on the original design :P
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Rob P » Tue 09.04.2013, 17:19

dapinky wrote:Mine will be there with the "Mk 1" version (plus the electric fuel cap release) so you can see how various people have 'improved' on the original design :P

Cheers Dave, I hope the weather is good for Donington as i have a feeling I'm going to be looking at a good few M100's to see what little extra's I need to add some improvements to the little yellow peril :)
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby Rob P » Tue 23.04.2013, 21:33

maz_r wrote:Mine will be there; no cutting required with the method I used.... :D

Fredjohn wrote:I will also be there: no cutting required for mine either. Only did it last Oct, so bits are still available. J reg NMY :gathering:
See you!

Well spent most of the time at Donington chatting to new people and then went on the fantatsic run out in the afternoon so forgot all about reviewing these, still keen to complete this but don't want to cut the car at all and therefore would it be possible to have a few details of these two options, what are the parts required, could you post piccy's if possible please :smt023

Rob P
Fanatic

Postby Fredjohn » Wed 24.04.2013, 00:20

Rob

I forgot too and didn't go on the drive. Will post a picture and provide details in due course, but the only picture I will have is of the mounted solenoid and a bicycle brake cable disappearing into the boot lid frame, plus a possible relay wiring piccy. No piccies of the difficult bit by the latch.

Will try to find a link to ebay solenoid I used: Martin (mz-r) may have used a different one. Halfords supplied the relays, cable and cable end stops.

Bit busy at present but will try to sort before weekend.

John

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
MB E250 CDi coupe 2013
Rapido 746 2010
Fredjohn
God

Postby Rob P » Wed 24.04.2013, 07:05

Fredjohn wrote:Rob

I forgot too and didn't go on the drive. Will post a picture and provide details in due course, but the only picture I will have is of the mounted solenoid and a bicycle brake cable disappearing into the boot lid frame, plus a possible relay wiring piccy. No piccies of the difficult bit by the latch.

Will try to find a link to ebay solenoid I used: Martin (mz-r) may have used a different one. Halfords supplied the relays, cable and cable end stops.

Bit busy at present but will try to sort before weekend.

John

Cheers John, appreciate any info and I'll work out the rest I'm sure from there :)
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby Rice crispy » Wed 24.04.2013, 18:28

I did mine with a cable first but found it unreliable as the outer needs to be clamped firmly to allow the inner to move the lock so I cut the boot which can hardly be seen in use. John you should have said on Saturday when we spoke lol
Rice crispy
God

Postby Fredjohn » Wed 24.04.2013, 22:29

Rob
OK here goes with description and issues I had. Photos to follow.
I have a '92 SE
Bits
HD solenoid like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Door-or-Boot- ... 35b5fe00cd
Volvo S70/C70 switch WITH PLUG AND 5-6" TRAILING 3 WIRES IN PLUG (like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-V70-S70 ... 1e6c5ed19c
Ordinary bike cable and 2 end stops from Halfords or bike shop
Simple relay from Halfords
Coloured wire and black wire
Patience (loads!!)

Fitted solenoid with supplied bracketry to boot lamp bracket, end turned up to "L" shape to take cable end stops. Put actual solenoid in its own clamp at slight angle (wood wedge!) to align with incoming bare end bike cable. See photo.

Lock end: remove rubber bung and slide off retainer to remove lock barrel. Remove latch, careful not to lose bits inside boot lid. Did mine in situ. I fastened a small "L" bracket with 2 holes (a short bit of long strip supplied with solenoid will do) onto the RH screw (aerial side of car). Fasten 2nd end stop to this bracket before fitting to car. Having 2 end stops overcomes lansled's problem of not fixing cable outer.
Also suggest threading the cable outer through boot strengthening box from solenoid end and into end stop by latch lever before refitting "L" bracket assembly. Tape outer cable to end stop to hold in place, then refit lever assembly having first slid cable INNER through lever and part way into outer cable. This part is really fiddly but doable with nimble fingers! I think I tightened LH screw first to lightly clamp "L" bracket over RH hole, then insert RH screw through bracket and latch. Then tighten both full, keeping "L" bracket at right angles to latch plate.

Use bunged access hole and lock barrel hole for finger access. You need slim fingers though!!

Cut outer cable to length keeping as taut as possible, then insert into other cable end stop by solenoid. End stops are slightly adjustable to help tautness. NOW slid inner all the way through and pull tight.
Slide inner cable and solenoid cable through each end of single electrical block connector: (open hole all the way through, not blocked). Only cut these 2 cables once you are fully satisfied it is all working.
The adjustment of how these 2 bits of cable are fastened to each other is critical. When you lower the lid, the distance between the latch and the solenoid SHORTENS, so what was once a tight cable (open lid) goes slack (closed lid). To overcome this, pull the inner brake cable so that the unlocking lever moves half to threequarters of its travel. Then clamp cable tight to solenoid cable and let go. As you close lid, distance will shorten and lever will return to its normal position.
Wiring with relays and operated by Volvo switch should be straight forward, but do use a relay. I fed a lead off +battery lead and attached all earths to earth post near fuel cut off switch. See photo. I located the switch somewhere in the cabin. Photo will show where.

Test with boot open, then lower lid but not closed. Test again. It will be trial and error to get it to work, but provided you do the pre-tensioning of the cable to move the lever you will do it.
Mine is also wired in to the alarm via a spare button of the alarm remote. I have Scorpion alarm fitted last October.

Hope this is clear. Most will be made more clear when I get photos, but including photo of latch internals copied from Alexg who posted this method earlier in this thread.

I have also done an electric fuel flap release: well I did buy the double switch! Will detail this later.
Somehow I feel a Wikilec request coming on.................

I would also like to add that this is not my idea: I picked up on this thread initiated by dapinky and followed up by others, read it through and decided to try it. I didn't want to cut the body, but use the cable system. Very fiddly but worth it. The pretensioning of the lever/cable is critical to getting reliability. I have so far not had any problems with either of the releases.

Good luck :!: :!: :!:

EDITED: to correct failing memory re latch configuration and to acknowledge relevant photo.
Last edited by Fredjohn on Thu 25.04.2013, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
MB E250 CDi coupe 2013
Rapido 746 2010
Fredjohn
God

Postby Rob P » Wed 24.04.2013, 22:35

:goodposting: Many Thanks for the above Post John, excellent info, will await piccys then this looks like the first Mod for the Car, like the sound of the electric Petrol cap release as well :smt023
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby Rob P » Sat 27.04.2013, 22:53

OK picked up the solenoid kit and have also secured a Senator heated rear screen switch which I intend to use for the release mechanism, this is a spring loaded switch so should be ideal for a quick operation of the release and will replace one of the blanks in the dashboard.
Hoping to put it in the slot which the Air Con switch would be as my car doesn't have Air con, question is would the loom behind the dash have the wiring in place for an Air con switch even if it wasn't being used (assuming of course the loom at the time would carry all wires for the full spec) if so then I would have thought that the Air Con would be live only when the ignition is active therefore ensuring the boot release wouldn't be active when no Keys in the car ignition so boot secure if car left with roof open.

will have a look at fitting this in the coming week .........hopefully :wink:

one thing that does still confuse me is that even when opening currently with the key the Boot lid needs physically lifting, should it not be spring loaded? this would be required to ensure it lifts immediately the switch release is operated or is there a need to fit some spring mechanism as well, or is my car short of some standard spring loading of the existing Boot hinges?
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby Fredjohn » Wed 01.05.2013, 19:08

Rob P wrote:one thing that does still confuse me is that even when opening currently with the key the Boot lid needs physically lifting, should it not be spring loaded? this would be required to ensure it lifts immediately the switch release is operated or is there a need to fit some spring mechanism as well, or is my car short of some standard spring loading of the existing Boot hinges?

Rob
Finally managed to get some photos hope it's not too late. Somewhat delayed by changing my cambelt. Long long job but now done and it works ('til it doesn't!)

Above shows location of solenoid, brackets and connection

Above shows detail of cable end stop. Add an extra nut to it and you can make it adjustable.

Routing of cable through boot lid.

BootLatch.jpg

BootlatchRelease.jpg

Bootlatch showing hole for cable and then peek view of attachment through the keyhole:

Switch location

Boot Release Wiring diagram.JPG

Finally a wiring diagram for both boot and fuel flap releases.

When you open with key or with solenoid the lid just pops up a bit say inch or two, then you raise it by hand.

Hope this explains the words. Any problems read it again!! Or PM me. :-D :-D

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Fredjohn on Wed 15.05.2013, 00:14, edited 8 times in total.

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
MB E250 CDi coupe 2013
Rapido 746 2010
Fredjohn
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 01.05.2013, 19:17

John: You need to provide the full domain details to get the pictures to post.

[img]http://[img][img]john/mydocuments/m100/dcs00780.jpg[/img] should look more like [`img]http://www.somedomain.co.uk/john/mydocuments/m100/dcs00780.jpg[/img] (without the ~ after the first "[")

It can't publish pictures from your local computer, they need to be hosted on the web. Also. the extra [img][img] don't belong in the string.
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Wed 01.05.2013, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Fredjohn » Wed 01.05.2013, 19:20

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:John: You need to provide the full domain details to get the pictures to post.

[img]http://[img][img]john/mydocuments/m100/dcs00780.jpg[/img] should look more like Image

It can't publish pictures from your local computer, they need to be hosted on the web. Also. the extra [img][img] don't belong in the string.

Hi John

Err......help struggling with this: just edited it and didn't work. I loaded some pics of my car 6 months ago from laptop but can't remember how :?: :?: :banghead: :bonk:

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
MB E250 CDi coupe 2013
Rapido 746 2010
Fredjohn
God

PreviousNext

Return to Upgrades