Yoko AD08 15" Review

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Yoko AD08 15" Review

Postby nicowalker1 » Fri 14.07.2017, 16:20

I just thought I'd share my experience so far of around 1,000 miles.
Wet weather, great predictable slidey fun! You can tell they aren't designed for wet weather yet they don't make me feel nervous, they don't just let go, I find the car gradually begins to drift, easily controlled with the throttle.
Dry weather, bags of grippy smiles! These tyres will go faster than I want to!
Noise, due to the not so refined ride of the Elan I don'f think they add any extra noise (I have the roof down 99% of the time)

I'm interested as to the pressures you all use and the effects on handling.

I have had my geometry done by Phoneix motorsport who do/used to race Elises and have plenty of Elan experience, they don't tend to setup as per the manual. I think the car feels better than it ever has but i'm hardly an expert.
nicowalker1
God

Re: Yoko AD08 15" Review

Postby Elanlover » Fri 14.07.2017, 16:36

It would be interesting to know exactly how they set up the suspension geometry wise for the rest of us. Maybe I'll have a talk with my shop about it.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby rip » Fri 14.07.2017, 16:40

Sounds good.
There is not enough chat about tyres on here... :poke: :-D
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby rip » Wed 19.07.2017, 08:32

I was out with Nick in his Elan on Sunday.
He was throwing it around corners faster than I usually do with mine. (at least it felt that way from the passenger seat) There was no sign of slip or squeal.
First impressions are that these are grippier than my Toyo T1R's.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby dapinky » Wed 19.07.2017, 09:03

Mine have been on for over 2 years, and I'm still more than happy with them..... no signs of them wearing out yet, so (although they are a 'softer' compound than something like the T1-R) I'm certain that on a car which doesn't drive to the moon and back, their actual 'life' will exceed the time scales where I will replace them due to age as opposed to tread wear.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby rip » Wed 19.07.2017, 11:38

dapinky wrote:Mine have been on for over 2 years, and I'm still more than happy with them..... no signs of them wearing out yet, so (although they are a 'softer' compound than something like the T1-R) I'm certain that on a car which doesn't drive to the moon and back, their actual 'life' will exceed the time scales where I will replace them due to age as opposed to tread wear.

I completely agree with their 'life'.
Grip levels had dropped off from my previous set of T1-R's before they ran out of tread & there was a noticeable difference when I changed them for a new set, so I would happily have a softer tyre next time around.
I probably won't fit them to my daily car, because I do more miles in it.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby nicowalker1 » Wed 19.07.2017, 13:32

rip wrote:I was out with Nick in his Elan on Sunday.
He was throwing it around corners faster than I usually do with mine. (at least it felt that way from the passenger seat) There was no sign of slip or squeal.
First impressions are that these are grippier than my Toyo T1R's.

:burnout: :-D
nicowalker1
God

Postby quentin » Thu 05.10.2017, 11:27

Elanlover wrote:It would be interesting to know exactly how they set up the suspension geometry wise for the rest of us. Maybe I'll have a talk with my shop about it.

Hi,
Have the same (great) tyres on my SE, on Nitrons. Handling is very nice indeed, but I'd love to go furher with a good geometry set up for (too) fast road use.

Have some of you any advice VS original setup ?

Thank you very much !

Quentin
quentin

Return to Wheels and Tyres