What's the current Tyre that's in vogue?

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

What's the current Tyre that's in vogue?

Postby chris.t » Sun 13.01.2019, 21:27

Hi All, it's been a long time since I've bought some boots for the old girl. Not after anything track orientated, just nice comfortable road use. I've got the federal 16" rims if that makes a difference. Your expertise would be much appreciated.

C
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
chris.t
God

Re: What's the current Tyre that's in vogue?

Postby Saltire » Sun 13.01.2019, 22:17

A lot of people use and like Toyo Proxes. I think Pinky has Yokohamas.

On my S2, I think if money were no object, I’d go for Michelin Pilot 3 (closest to OEM Michelin) or Pirelli PZero (Lotus recommendation when the OEM Michelin ceased production). However, with the limited mileage I do, they’re likely to run out of life (you should replace tyres after 5 years or so), sooner than they run out of tread. So I tend to favour good, but cheaper, alternatives - but not Far Eastern ditchfinders.

I used to have Proxes front and Goodyears rear, which I didn’t like at all. During my recent refurb, I put on Avon ZV7s all round, which are working well. Early days, but so far good grip, reasonable noise level and ride is OK too. Best of all, they were a very reasonable price from BlackCircles.com.
Last edited by Saltire on Tue 15.01.2019, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
Mrs Saltire’s 2022 Mini Countryman Cooper S
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby rip » Tue 15.01.2019, 11:26

When I replaced my 5yo Toyo Proxes with new ones, I was quite surprised at how much grip the old rubber had lost.
That was 5 years ago, so I'll be changing them again this year & will be giving Yokohamas a try.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Simon_P » Tue 15.01.2019, 15:03

I don't know what is in vogue but by choice I buy Avon tyres currently ZV7.

I recently put a pair of Toyo Proxes on the Blue Car so that they are all the same. I find that it tramlines, but it does need a suspension rebuild.

All on 16" S2 wheels.

I look at wet performance and noise for elan tyres. Wet performance because that's when you need it and noise because it's right by you all the time.

I buy the tyres from Camskill and get a local place to fit them.
Simon_P
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Tue 15.01.2019, 18:35

rip wrote:When I replaced my 5yo Toyo Proxes with new ones, I was quite surprised at how much grip the old rubber had lost.
That was 5 years ago, so I'll be changing them again this year & will be giving Yokohamas a try.

i second that experience,
when i bought the car more than 4 years ago, it came with proxes t1r and at the moment i can clearly notice it grips less than back then.

one other thing that you will notice with new tyres, is the amount of noise from the road reduces considerably. i was surprised when i replaced my celica's old set of part worn tyres with proxes CF2. the road noise reduced to less than half what it used to be
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
Tuga2112
God

Postby chris.t » Fri 18.01.2019, 20:37

Anyone tried the Kumho KU39's?
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
chris.t
God

Postby dolmerob » Fri 22.03.2019, 03:11

Had Kumho KU39 on another car. Traction in the wet and dry was good. Quiet & comfortable on the highway, although these kumho tires wore a bit fast. Still, these tyres are good for the money.
dolmerob

Postby rip » Fri 22.03.2019, 10:28

dolmerob wrote:Had Kumho KU39 on another car. Traction in the wet and dry was good. Quiet & comfortable on the highway, although these kumho tires wore a bit fast. Still, these tyres are good for the money.

That's useful. I am not so sure longevity is so important on an occasional car like most of us use our Elans. I will be throwing my Toyos away this year anyway. They may have some tread left but, as I mentioned earlier, the rubber has lost its grip.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby theelanman » Fri 22.03.2019, 11:56

Ive had Yokohama C Drive, Falken Ziex and the Toyo's
in my opinion the Yokos were the best then the Falken and the Toyos Id avoid like the plague....they were awful

I have Kumhos in the daily driver.......and is sticks well in the wet and dry........
I drive the A5004 everyday and try not to hang around too much.......lol
the Evora has Pirelli PZero.....they stick like you wouldn't believe but they're made of butter
the Elite has Kumhos and they too stick well
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby Bern » Fri 22.03.2019, 12:48

Toyos Id avoid like the plague....they were awful

What did you not like about the Toyos? I've got them on mine, and get a bit of tramlining, like as mentioned above. I've only driven it with these and the tyres that were on it when I got it (I can't remember what they were, but they were VERY old).

Sadly they aren't yet 3 years old and have plenty of life yet, so I can't really replace them!
'90 Elan SE
'95 MGF
'16 Renault Zoe
'03 VW Transporter
'72 Land Rover 88
'80ish Kubota B5100E
Bern
Fanatic

Postby theelanman » Fri 22.03.2019, 14:58

they just seemed to lack grip........especially in the wet.......
tramlining as others have had..........but the fact that I could never trust throwing into a corner at an enthusiastic speed just gave me no confidence in the rubber........
I could get understeer without much trying and oversteer braking into a corner.......
going through a corner at I put the power down I could get it to understeer so easliy.....it tramped sideways.......
the oversteer could have been my fault tho' as I upgraded the brakes at the front about the sametime the proportioning valves needed replacing.......having said tha....when I did go through the entire braking system it did really change that much....but by then Id learnt to be a little more relaxed....... :-D
when I changed it to the Yokos the difference was like night and day..........I really could be over excitable with everything....and feel confident
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby lotusles » Fri 22.03.2019, 19:59

[quote="Saltire"]A lot of people use and like Toyo Proxes. I think Pinky has Yokohamas.

(you should replace tyres after 5 years or so),

Jonathan, if only, the rear cross ply tyres on my Ford special are from 1963 and still going strong running at 5psi, oh and they are so so quiet.
In seriousness, yes you are absolutely correct, :agree: so to allow a coach to have tyres that are 19 years old is absolute criminal :evil:
lotusles
Enthusiast

Postby Bern » Fri 22.03.2019, 21:23

theelanman wrote:they just seemed to lack grip........especially in the wet.......
tramlining as others have had..........but the fact that I could never trust throwing into a corner at an enthusiastic speed just gave me no confidence in the rubber........
I could get understeer without much trying and oversteer braking into a corner.......
going through a corner at I put the power down I could get it to understeer so easliy.....it tramped sideways.......
the oversteer could have been my fault tho' as I upgraded the brakes at the front about the sametime the proportioning valves needed replacing.......having said tha....when I did go through the entire braking system it did really change that much....but by then Id learnt to be a little more relaxed....... :-D
when I changed it to the Yokos the difference was like night and day..........I really could be over excitable with everything....and feel confident

Interesting, I've not really noticed a lack of grip, but maybe that's because I don't really trust them enough to get that far! I'll try the Yokos next....
'90 Elan SE
'95 MGF
'16 Renault Zoe
'03 VW Transporter
'72 Land Rover 88
'80ish Kubota B5100E
Bern
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Fri 22.03.2019, 21:45

Yokos all the way for me (on the Elan) - cheap and cheerful on the VW T5, whatever is on offer for the Astra.... and not much choice in 13" for the Triumph!
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Rambo » Fri 22.03.2019, 22:12

I'm another one who is not a Toyo fan

Michelin, Yokohama, Goodyear yes.....But Toyo no. For me anyway :?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Fredjohn » Sat 23.03.2019, 05:34

OK I'll stand up for Toyo! Found them to be really good and not had any issues in the wet. I drive with spirit (avec elan!), but maybe less so than others, so wet handling has not been a problem.
One or two Elise racing teams use them as their wet tyre, so they can't be that bad.
Each to their own though.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
MB E250 CDi coupe 2013
Boardman Endurance SLR 9.4 disc 2018
Rapido 746 2010
Lotus Evija Danish edition
Fredjohn
God

Postby Scott J » Sat 23.03.2019, 09:05

Kumho Ecsta Sport most of the time I owned Elan, though also Uniroyal rainsports which are excellent in the wet, and Glasgow is a wet city.

MX5 had Uniroyal Rainsports, I'm convinced I would have aquaplaned on Motorway a couple of times without them, shed deep standing water at high speed, though a softer compound than Kumho. Elan went through fronts quickly which is why I changed to Kumho, and MX5 ate up the rears.

Yokohama AD07 (lotus sidewall specific) on Elise . They are sticky. But think they are now superseded.
Some people beat Rambo from A to B.
Scott J
The prodigal son

Postby nicowalker1 » Thu 04.04.2019, 18:16

I have yoko’s and love them! They will go faster than I’m willing around corners. Staight line acceleration is far more grippy than my previous Toyos. On fact, on a warm day when they have warmed up, I really have to try hard to sprin the wheels. They are fun in the wet though... you certainly know you are driving the car!
nicowalker1
God

Postby pineapplecharm » Sat 30.05.2020, 17:44

Saltire wrote:you should replace tyres after 5 years or so, sooner than they run out of tread.

Mindful of this rule, it's April this year when I realise that it's been six years since I bought my elan and I haven't bought tyres for it yet. The treads are still pretty great and they seem fine (if a bit plastic in the cold) but, against every impulse in my skinflint, quasi Jewish body I ask the MOT wonks to quote me on a new set. Dude comes out to check what is on there already, suddenly looks ashen. "See here," he says pointing at the tyre. "That's a manufacturing year code, ending in five to match the year."

"Blimey," says I. "They can't be 2015 so they're 2005??"

"Mate, this tread design was old hat even then. These are 1995".

Oops. Although I have been told that UV is the main culprit for tyre decay, and she's been garaged at least the last 15 years, I think it might be time to admit that this tread is going to go to waste.

Must be some kind of record. I might ring Beaulieu, see if they're interested for the museum.
pineapplecharm

Postby Rocklobster » Wed 15.07.2020, 17:12

It looks like Yokohama's are the go to performance tyre. Does anyone have, or has anyone had Nankang NS2R's on, and how do/did they perform? as they're £100 per set cheaper than the Yoko's.

I've presently got 12 yr old Toyo T1R's to replace (they came on the car). I can't complain about them to be honest, but the compound's obviously deteriorated somewhat and although they haven't landed me in a ditch so far, I shouldn't push my luck. The car only does between 2 & 3K per year and I'm looking for decent performance on the road with one or two slow track days.

Any advice appreciated.

Pete.
Pete

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Rocklobster
Tinkerer

Next

Return to Wheels and Tyres