Front wheel bearing dust cap

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, GeoffSmith

Front wheel bearing dust cap

Postby djwazza68 » Fri 21.02.2020, 00:01

I don't need to replace the front wheel bearings just yet, but the dust caps are missing from the front bearings. Can anyone tell me the correct size so I can order new ones from eBay?

They look to be 50mm, but there are variations within 2mm available.

Thanks in advance.
djwazza68
Tinkerer

Re: Front wheel bearing dust cap

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 21.02.2020, 01:15

There are dust caps for the rear wheel bearings since they are adjustable, tapered bearings but none for the fronts which use sealed multiple row ball bearings.

If you mean the wheel center caps for the OZ (original) wheels, then they are available with the plain silver face: £5.30 + handling, postage , etc.
Plain wheel caps.jpg

or with the Lotus Logo in green and yellow (with a black surround): £8.79 + handling, postage , etc.
logo wheel caps.jpg

Prices are FOB any approved Lotus Dealer in the UK.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Lotus Manuals
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Saltire » Fri 21.02.2020, 09:18

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:There are dust caps for the rear wheel bearings since they are adjustable, tapered bearings but none for the fronts which use sealed multiple row ball bearings.

If you mean the wheel center caps for the OZ (original) wheels, then they are available with the plain silver face: £5.30 + handling, postage , etc.

Prices are FOB any approved Lotus Dealer in the UK.

Just to expand on John’s comment: This refers to the original NA/SE OZ wheels. The S2 BBS wheels have a different diameter of centre cap, which is NLA from Lotus. I used Elise centre caps (from SJs) when I lost an original; they fit reasonably well, but I sealed them into the wheels with some heavy duty double-sided tape and they haven’t come loose. Yet.
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2 no 512, BRG/magnolia, last of 4 UK S2 to this spec
2019 VW Golf R - “The Flying Tomato”
2020 Volvo XC40 T4 AWD
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby djwazza68 » Fri 21.02.2020, 09:32

Thanks both, I was referring to the actual dust caps, not being aware that the fronts didn't require them. I already have centre caps for my Oz 15" wheels.
Finally something I don't need to buy!
djwazza68
Tinkerer

Return to Wheels and Tyres