What's the current Tyre that's in vogue?

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Re: What's the current Tyre that's in vogue?

Postby Rambo » Thu 16.07.2020, 07:08

I'm sure someone on here or Pissedonheads has, or rather had, Nanking's and referred to them as "ditchfinders" I'll see if I can unearth the post

They are usually a good tyre at a good price but in reality are 2nd division imo.
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Rambo » Thu 16.07.2020, 07:13

I can't find the post on here but have found an interesting article about Nankang and tyres

https://www.fitmentindustries.com/blogs ... res&id=116

PS type in Nankang ditchfinders on Google and you will get some interesting comments. Not for me :?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby scotlan » Thu 16.07.2020, 07:56

The steering on my car had gone to pot and when checking my tyres found different ages , makes and speed ratings. "( only owned the car for a year)
So after checking forums, websites etc etc came to my own decision.
I don't drive very fast on the straights or corners, don't do track days and will do about 1,000 miles a year. So I went for Nexens at £50 each, Wetgrip rating "B". Second choice was Avons

scotlan
Tinkerer

Postby dapinky » Thu 16.07.2020, 10:24

scotlan wrote: So I went for Nexens at £50 each,

I often used Nexens as the 'road tyres' on the Triumph rally car ......... some events had 'Tarmac' stages and allowed a tyre change so they didn't have to be done on the knobbly gravel tyres (Would have been interesting on a wet road with knobly tyres!). They were one of the few makes I could get in the right size that would perform well enough.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby david924s » Thu 16.07.2020, 12:42

Used Nexens for a few daily use cars myself and will probably put four on my Elan when I can get to the tyre place, for what I need and how much it gets used for me its a good tyre choice. They seem good in the wet and dry not too noisy and a good price, last reasonably well but tyre life isn't an issue for the Elan it currently has tyres well past their sell by date with full tread.
david924s
Tinkerer

Postby Rocklobster » Thu 16.07.2020, 21:27

Found this on Pistonheads. Some interesting views regarding the Nankang NS2R and several other tyres. It's intetresting to see how many people are categorising tyres by the brand and not by the model though.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1690979
Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Rocklobster

Postby rip » Fri 17.07.2020, 15:59

scotlan wrote:The steering on my car had gone to pot and when checking my tyres found different ages , makes and speed ratings. "( only owned the car for a year)
So after checking forums, websites etc etc came to my own decision.

It seems many people treat tyres as an evil expense & are willing to change 1 at a time. They really don't care that tyres should be there to grip the road & I expect most not-new cars have mixed sets.
There seems to be a lot more appreciation for tyres on here & I understand from a friend that the Lotus/Caterham Seven owners club discuss them in even greater detail.
Many think I am extravagant in having a set of winter tyres for my daily.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby dapinky » Fri 17.07.2020, 18:40

rip wrote:There seems to be a lot more appreciation for tyres on here & I understand from a friend that the Lotus/Caterham Seven owners club discuss them in even greater detail.
Many think I am extravagant in having a set of winter tyres for my daily.

Not at all..... I'm even more paranoid about tyres than that.

Whenever I look at a car to buy, I always budget for a new set of tyres (the only exception was when we bought a brand new car a few years ago), as I always change the ones on the car as soon as I can.

I'd rather buy a car with a set of nearly bald tyres, than one with a newish set of crap ones (or even worse, a newish set of expensive ones!), as the seller always thinks it's a 'selling point'........

...... but to me, it's wasted cash, as they'll end up in a bin somewhere (or possibly sold on by a dealer as a 'part worn').

I've seen far too many defective tyres in my life to trust anyone who tells me that they have never been curbed, or run flat..... and would rather know for sure.

(I also dislike using hire vehicles for similar reasons).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Rambo » Fri 17.07.2020, 21:20

Me too. I think money spent on premium rubber is well spent. After all, we go everywhere faster these days and our lives depend on those 4 small points of contact of rubber with tarmac. And money spent on stopping ie good brakes is also not money wasted
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby scotlan » Sat 18.07.2020, 12:10

[/quote]

Many think I am extravagant in having a set of winter tyres for my daily.[/quote]

Not me. I live in a remote part of Perthshire and have a good set of winter tyres on my daily driver. They say they come into their own below 7 degrees and I can vouch for that, far better grip and braking. We get plenty of days here below 7. Mine are Nexen on steel wheels which i change round every April & October, it protects the alloys too. Mind you, not for the Elan which hibernates.
scotlan
Tinkerer

Postby Rocklobster » Sun 26.07.2020, 16:45

OK, a full set of NS2R's being fitted tomorrow. Unbeatable prices by Camskill, so I'm taking the plunge. I found the following which was quite interesting and informative. I'll post an update after I've driven a bit and got an idea how they're performing.

https://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=259833
Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Rocklobster

Previous

Return to Wheels and Tyres