Locking wheel nuts & Rover (?) wheels

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Locking wheel nuts & Rover (?) wheels

Postby Malc » Thu 28.04.2022, 09:29

My new (hoorah!) S2 does not have locking wheel nuts so I’m worried that someone will nick them. I assume that they must be a certain shape/thread/specification. Can anyone advise or let me know the type they have on theirs? Also on a similar matter, some of you may know of the journo Steve Cropley who bought an SE from Paul Matty a year or so ago. He has spoked wheels on his which I think are 17” Rover wheels and IMHO, look really good. Does anyone know the specification of these? I am aware that Elan wheels have a large offset so, if I can find some, I need to know the fitting. And no, I will not be dwelling the originals. Picture of Steve’s below

EE010C32-E201-4F17-B9B9-AE9DE2A85841.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Malc

Re: Locking wheel nuts & Rover (?) wheels

Postby Jamie N » Thu 28.04.2022, 09:58

Those wheels are from an MG ZR Malc, The offset on them is 38mm so pretty well off for an Elan. Many different opinions on 17" alloys but I would personally advise you driving with them
first before purchase, stepping up to 17's combined with the wrong offset and low profile tyres could end up with a rather unpleasant driving experience, I've tried several different sets of 17" wheels
over the years on Elans and personally wouldn't go above 16's, you might like them as some other folk do but try them first.

Wheel studs are 12x1.5, I have multiple sets of locking nuts gathered over the years, will have a look and see if there are any for the Elan, if there are you can have them. I can't stand the things! :D .
Monaco S2 #406

https://youtu.be/MGiyiIFjUew Rubbery stuff.
Jamie N
Seal God

Postby Malc » Thu 28.04.2022, 13:35

Hi Jamie - fair comment re the 17” wheels. I did wonder if they would affect the ride. I’ve got 16’ on mine but just liked the look of the Rover wheels but don't want to ruin the ride, which presumably lotus spent many years perfecting! Thanks for looking re the locking nuts. I don’t mind them - better than having the wheels pinched!

Also just read the many posts about hood seals - although mine are pretty good (I’ve only just bought it so haven’t tested it in heavy rain), as a matter of interest are you still making them?
Malc

Postby exeterjeep » Thu 28.04.2022, 15:36

Just been to look at my 16" and 17" mg alloys both say et 45.
How about using wheel bolts from an evora? Has a hex drive with in the head, and my last one had 4 locking ones as well. My current evora does not come with locking bolts at all - factory no longer fit as standard apparently.

Will try to put the MG wheels on my S2 go I can take the S2 wheels in to be re-furbished. Will extend the centre bore diameter to fit the S2.
exeterjeep

Postby Saltire » Thu 28.04.2022, 16:08

I have an S2 to which I’ve fitted McGard locking wheel nuts from a BMW Mini. See below:

3792EA2B-F462-4A0B-A93D-5E059233DE40.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
2016 BMW 440i MSport
2022 Mini Countryman Cooper S
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby dapinky » Fri 29.04.2022, 07:37

The wheel nuts (well, bolts, to be pedantic!) are a standard fitment thingy for many cars - I replaced all my bolts for a set of Black ones intended for a Corsa.....

.... any Vauxhall locking wheel bolt should do fine - as long as it's M12 x 1.5 thread.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Jamie N » Fri 29.04.2022, 08:48

Malc wrote:Hi Jamie - fair comment re the 17” wheels. I did wonder if they would affect the ride. I’ve got 16’ on mine but just liked the look of the Rover wheels but don't want to ruin the ride, which presumably lotus spent many years perfecting! Thanks for looking re the locking nuts. I don’t mind them - better than having the wheels pinched!

Also just read the many posts about hood seals - although mine are pretty good (I’ve only just bought it so haven’t tested it in heavy rain), as a matter of interest are you still making them?

Set of 4 locking bolts with 2 keys for S2 here if you want them Malc, send me your addy in a PM and I will put them in the post for you.

Still doing seals will update what I have soon.
Monaco S2 #406

Jamie N
Seal God

Postby Malc » Sun 08.05.2022, 10:20

Jamie N wrote:
Malc wrote:Hi Jamie - fair comment re the 17” wheels. I did wonder if they would affect the ride. I’ve got 16’ on mine but just liked the look of the Rover wheels but don't want to ruin the ride, which presumably lotus spent many years perfecting! Thanks for looking re the locking nuts. I don’t mind them - better than having the wheels pinched!

Set of 4 locking bolts with 2 keys for S2 here if you want them Malc, send me your addy in a PM and I will put them in the post for you.

Still doing seals will update what I have soon.

Thanks Jamie, nuts received. Very kind of you esp. FOC!
Malc

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 09.05.2022, 03:54

Malc wrote:Thanks Jamie, nuts received. Very kind of you esp. FOC!

I hope you mean Bolts, nuts won't be much good .. :lol:

If you change to different wheels you should check the bolt hole seating and your bolts are compatible. Alloy wheels can have different arrangements... and the Elan should have a set of 4 wheel bolts for fitting the pressed steel spacesaver spare. The alloy wheel bolts have a straight cone, bolts for steel wheel are curved.

wheelbolts.JPG
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Jamie N » Mon 09.05.2022, 12:35

Malc wrote:Thanks Jamie, bolts received (FTFY). Very kind of you esp. FOC!

No bother at all Malc.

Remember to keep the locker hidden somewhere in the vehicle and the spare one at home, I wouldn't put it in the glovebox in an easily breached car like an Elan, but make a note of where you put them because you know what will happen :D .
Monaco S2 #406

Jamie N
Seal God

Return to Wheels and Tyres