Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith
by rip » Thu 05.07.2018, 08:32
ElanBRG wrote:Rusty Wishbone wrote:It is recommended that tyres are replaced after 10 years, regardless of condition. Mind you, I've seen cheap Chinese tyres with small cracks which are only about 4 years' old.
I just replaced all 4 pricey Michelin Pilot Sports on one of my Jag XF's that were only 4 years old because they were cracking all over the tread.
I don't know about Michelin anymore. Those tires were also known to develop sidewall bubbles.
I would have expected better from Michelin. I guess you would too otherwise you would not have bought them first time around?
1990 SE
-

rip
- God
-
- Posts: 5905
- Joined: Sun 08.04.2007, 07:48
- Location: Milton Keynes, UK
by Giniw » Thu 05.07.2018, 15:23
Surprising, indeed.
-

Giniw
- God
-
- Posts: 1615
- Joined: Sat 21.04.2012, 20:46
- Location: France
by Saltire » Thu 05.07.2018, 20:09
Well, that was interesting - I’ve just been out to the garage to check mine, with the following results:
- OSF: Falken, 0713
- NSF: Falken, 0713
- OSR: Goodyear Eagle F1, 4604
- NSR: Goodyear Eagle F1, not marked??
I’m inclined just to replace all four - not keen on Falken as a brand, and the Goodyears are
really old (assuming they’re both the same). Good excuse to get the wheels refurbished at the same time.
Jonathan
1995 Elan S2, BRG - Now sadly sold
Mrs Saltire’s 2021 Mini Countryman Cooper S
Mrs Saltire’s 2022 BMW i3S
-

Saltire
- God
-
- Posts: 2457
- Joined: Sun 05.04.2015, 22:27
- Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland
by ElanBRG » Thu 05.07.2018, 22:00
Saltire wrote:Well, that was interesting - I’ve just been out to the garage to check mine, with the following results:
- OSF: Falken, 0713
- NSF: Falken, 0713
- OSR: Goodyear Eagle F1, 4604
- NSR: Goodyear Eagle F1, not marked??
I’m inclined just to replace all four - not keen on Falken as a brand, and the Goodyears are
really old (assuming they’re both the same). Good excuse to get the wheels refurbished at the same time.
Never good to have non-matching tires on a car. If I see that on a used car, it's a huge red flag.
Last edited by
ElanBRG on Thu 05.07.2018, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
91 Elan BRG
-

ElanBRG
- Enthusiast
-
- Posts: 166
- Joined: Fri 09.02.2018, 05:04
- Location: Houston, TX
by ElanBRG » Thu 05.07.2018, 22:03
rip wrote:ElanBRG wrote:Rusty Wishbone wrote:It is recommended that tyres are replaced after 10 years, regardless of condition. Mind you, I've seen cheap Chinese tyres with small cracks which are only about 4 years' old.
I just replaced all 4 pricey Michelin Pilot Sports on one of my Jag XF's that were only 4 years old because they were cracking all over the tread.
I don't know about Michelin anymore. Those tires were also known to develop sidewall bubbles.
I would have expected better from Michelin. I guess you would too otherwise you would not have bought them first time around?
I have switched to Firestone Firehawk 500's for most of my cars. Really nice tires for wet and dry grip and a smooth and quiet ride, and at a lower price point. But I live in an area that freezing temps are very rare. Most of you guys on here wouldn't be able to use them for that reason.
91 Elan BRG
-

ElanBRG
- Enthusiast
-
- Posts: 166
- Joined: Fri 09.02.2018, 05:04
- Location: Houston, TX
by Saltire » Thu 05.07.2018, 22:32
Yes, I use my car all year, and I’d switch to Michelin CrossClimate If they came in an S2 size. As it is, I’ll probably go for either Pirelli PZero (the Lotus recommendation), Avon ZV7, or the Yokohamas I’ve heard good reports of on here
Jonathan
1995 Elan S2, BRG - Now sadly sold
Mrs Saltire’s 2021 Mini Countryman Cooper S
Mrs Saltire’s 2022 BMW i3S
-

Saltire
- God
-
- Posts: 2457
- Joined: Sun 05.04.2015, 22:27
- Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland
by rip » Thu 05.07.2018, 22:48
ElanBRG wrote:
I have switched to Firestone Firehawk 500's for most of my cars. Really nice tires for wet and dry grip and a smooth and quiet ride, and at a lower price point. But I live in an area that freezing temps are very rare. Most of you guys on here wouldn't be able to use them for that reason.
Except for the minority, like me, who use a set of winter tyres in low temperatures. Thanks for the recommendation.
I will consider them when my (currently very new) tyres need replacing.
1990 SE
-

rip
- God
-
- Posts: 5905
- Joined: Sun 08.04.2007, 07:48
- Location: Milton Keynes, UK
by lotusflasherman » Fri 06.07.2018, 02:34
Pirelli Sottozero 3 Winter tyres work really well in snow ... and superb in the wet - throw up amazing 'rooster tails' from the wheel arches and leave dry tyre tracks on the road behind.
When the road is dry they feel a bit more 'squidgy' than Toyo Proxes but that only to be expected..
20180301_1608b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil
Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
-

lotusflasherman
- God
-
- Posts: 2533
- Joined: Fri 05.09.2008, 00:14
- Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)
by chipp » Sat 14.07.2018, 11:20
I'm trying to age a Firestone Super Sports GP race tyre. It will be at least 45 years old so will it have a date stamp on it?
chipp
92SE written off
95S2 sold
91SE sold
-

chipp
- Fanatic
-
- Posts: 478
- Joined: Tue 02.02.2010, 20:47
- Location: Wymondham nr Hethel
by lotusflasherman » Sat 14.07.2018, 19:07
chipp wrote:I'm trying to age a Firestone Super Sports GP race tyre. It will be at least 45 years old so will it have a date stamp on it?
chipp
I reckon so but it may be manufacturer specific. In 1974 I bought a Scimitar GTE with what looked like nearly new Good Year tyres .. after a couple of months the sidewalls were cracking so I contacted Good Year and was asked to take it to my local Good Year depot, which from Potters Bar was Kentish Town. This little old man looked at each tyre and told me when and where made and which production batch from some codes on them. They were steel belted and Good Year had been supplied with wrong spec steel that went into some batches and mine were in it. Came away with 4 brand new tyres fitted for free.

I'm sure Firestone would have something similar.. but you may need a 'little old man' who knows the codes..
Phil
Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
-

lotusflasherman
- God
-
- Posts: 2533
- Joined: Fri 05.09.2008, 00:14
- Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)
by chipp » Sun 15.07.2018, 09:34
The size is 14.5/26.2-15 and in the elongated indent it has E8397-55.
Can anyone can suggest a date of manufacture from that.
chipp
92SE written off
95S2 sold
91SE sold
-

chipp
- Fanatic
-
- Posts: 478
- Joined: Tue 02.02.2010, 20:47
- Location: Wymondham nr Hethel
by Rambo » Sun 15.07.2018, 10:34
1955 ?
Is it off an Indy car, GT40 or something similar ?
-

Rambo
- Don't push me
-
- Posts: 9144
- Joined: Wed 24.12.2003, 00:37
- Location: Both sides of the Tweed
by Fredjohn » Sun 15.07.2018, 11:25
All tyres post 2000 have a 4 digit code denoting week and year of manufacture. So 1417 would be week 14 in 2017.
Before 2000 it was a 3 digit code. So 023 would be week 2 of the 3rd year of the decade. But which decade is anyone's guess! Guess that would depend on tyre make model version etc to work it out.
But I don't know if the codings relate to race tyres as well as road tyres.
Maybe look for a 3 digit code on the tyre?
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec élan.
Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
Mercedes Benz C200 estate
Lotus Evija Danish edition
-

Fredjohn
- God
-
- Posts: 2538
- Joined: Tue 21.08.2012, 00:30
- Location: Malvern, Worcs
by chipp » Sun 15.07.2018, 13:31
It is likely to be off a T49/72 rear magnesium split rim alloy coz I have the wheel as well.
I want to restore the wheel to period dating it from the tyre. I have seen pictures of the wheels in a natural/polished finish or even alight grey colour on early 49's.
The tyre has a tread pattern on it.
chipp
92SE written off
95S2 sold
91SE sold
-

chipp
- Fanatic
-
- Posts: 478
- Joined: Tue 02.02.2010, 20:47
- Location: Wymondham nr Hethel
by dolmerob » Thu 20.12.2018, 04:43
ElanBRG wrote:I have switched to Firestone Firehawk 500's for most of my cars. Really nice tires for wet and dry grip and a smooth and quiet ride, and at a lower price point. But I live in an area that freezing temps are very rare. Most of you guys on here wouldn't be able to use them for that reason.
How's the cornering response and treadwear of Firehawk 500? I'm looking for high-performance tires, and it looks like these
firestone tires are good for highway and canyon driving.
-
dolmerob
- Newbie
-
- Posts: 38
- Joined: Tue 24.04.2018, 03:16
by nicowalker1 » Thu 04.04.2019, 18:20
I had a new Skoda Octavia that came with Michelins, after 18 months they were splitting betweek the treads and had to be replaced. I guess even new cars come with old stock tyres...
-

nicowalker1
- God
-
- Posts: 1017
- Joined: Sat 18.04.2009, 13:44
- Location: Sowerby Bridge
by nchase » Mon 08.04.2019, 14:43
Found this really helpful.
Only one of my tyres was newer than 10 years of age and some were pre 2000 and one showed sidewall cracking.... but I didn't drive it enough to think about checking that other than tread..
This week it will have four new tyres.....
Cheers
-
nchase
- Fanatic
-
- Posts: 434
- Joined: Wed 18.06.2003, 09:16
- Location: Beckenham
Return to Wheels and Tyres
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests