Wheel Bolts

Moderators: theelanman, GeoffSmith, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT

Wheel Bolts

Postby Elanlover » Wed 24.09.2008, 20:52

I think that, with the new 17" wheels I've had made, I may need to source out some new wheel bolts. It looks like there's two problems with the stock ones and these new wheels. They don't seem to screw in enough - as in not nearly as far as they do on the stock wheels. Also, the bolt holes in the new wheels are very small and its very hard to get a sockt over the stock bolts and inside the hole.

So, I think I need to source some bolts with the same thread as the stock ones (obviously :roll: ) but longer and with a smaller head. Does nyone know the thread size on the current bolts? I believe the head size is 19mm. Thanks!
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Re: Wheel Bolts

Postby tweetdriver63 » Wed 24.09.2008, 21:03

Elanlover wrote:I think that, with the new 17" wheels I've had made, I may need to source out some new wheel bolts. It looks like there's two problems with the stock ones and these new wheels. They don't seem to screw in enough - as in not nearly as far as they do on the stock wheels. Also, the bolt holes in the new wheels are very small and its very hard to get a sockt over the stock bolts and inside the hole.

So, I think I need to source some bolts with the same thread as the stock ones (obviously :roll: ) but longer and with a smaller head. Does nyone know the thread size on the current bolts? I believe the head size is 19mm. Thanks!

I would take them to my local Autozone or other parts store. They have a board-thingy with threaded holes you can just trial-and-error to find which one is the right size and thread.
Chris

'91 Elan SE
'04 MB C230 Sport Coupe
'08 Mercury Mariner Hybrid
'12 Evora S GP Edition (In my dreams - HA!)
tweetdriver63
God

Postby GeoffSmith » Sat 27.09.2008, 13:09

They're M12 x 1.5 - the S2 wheel bolts have a slimmer, 17mm head and the shank is 30mm.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - Sorry, currently unavailable.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Elanlover » Sat 27.09.2008, 13:49

Thanks Geoff, I knew you'd be familiar with the bolt sizes. What with getting all personal with the wheels lately :wink:
Elanlover

Postby GeoffSmith » Sat 27.09.2008, 13:55

Elanlover wrote: What with getting all personal with the wheels lately :wink:

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

:smt116

I've got a new wheel now and it came with some nice shiny new bolts as well. Just got the tyre, CVJs and heater valve to sort now. :roll:
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - Sorry, currently unavailable.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby RayD » Sat 27.09.2008, 15:44

...SE and S2 wheel bolts...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RayD
Forum Member

Postby Elanlover » Sat 27.09.2008, 17:39

Excellent pic ray, thanks. Looks like the S2 bolts are also a tad longer. I probably need another 5 - 10mm on the bolts for the new wheels.
Elanlover

Postby muley » Sat 27.09.2008, 21:21

..or you could convert to studs and slimmer 'tuner' nuts.

Jim
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man"
1995 Palacio S2 no 507
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)Black MX-5 NC Red Honda Integra S
muley

Postby paulwatkins » Sun 28.09.2008, 11:52

muley wrote:..or you could convert to studs and slimmer 'tuner' nuts.

Jim

I've asked Jim about this and he couldnt recall the details, but does anyone else know the particulars of what is required for the stud conversion? And where the kits were obtained?
paulwatkins
God

Postby Elanlover » Sun 28.09.2008, 14:39

muley wrote:..or you could convert to studs and slimmer 'tuner' nuts.

Jim

Gave that some thought but decided to stay with the original bolt setup. The wheels were designed for conical seat bolts and while I could likely find conical seat nuts, I simply couldn't be bothered. :insert lazy ass smilie here: I've ordered some 17mm head, 39mm long bolts off eBay that should do the trick.
Elanlover

Postby Doug » Tue 30.09.2008, 07:30

you should probably ask the wheel maker for an answer or drawing of the angle of the flare at the base of the nut flange opening -- you'll want to be sure that angle matches the bolts you get

not sure how standard these are for the industry ??
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby nitroman » Tue 30.09.2008, 08:35

Doug wrote:you should probably ask the wheel maker for an answer or drawing of the angle of the flare at the base of the nut flange opening -- you'll want to be sure that angle matches the bolts you get

not sure how standard these are for the industry ??

I think 60-degrees is dominant, although there are variations.
Strive for perfection in everything. (given time)
Take the best that exists & make it better. (given inclination)
If it doesn't exist, create it. (God did)
Ignore what I say. (good advice)
nitroman

Postby dapinky » Tue 30.09.2008, 16:36

:agree:

The 2 in general use are a 60 degree flat cone, and a rounded radius (dont know the actual radius measurement).

Lotus ue the 'standard' 60 degree ones on our cars.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Elanlover » Tue 30.09.2008, 21:04

60 degree is the "standard" angle for conical seat bolts and this is how the wheels were made. The stock bolts seat fine in the holes, they just don't screw in nearly as much as they do with the stock wheels and the bolt head is too large - the S2 bolts with the 17MM head would be just fine. I didn't measure how much shorter the bolts were on the new wheels but my very rough guestimate was about a 1/4 inch. The closest size I could find to cover the shortage was 39mm. There's room behind the hub for the bolt to protrude out a bit if these screw in too much but I don't think they'll be a problem.

Getting the other 2 wheels in might be though :evil:
Elanlover

Postby pmb » Mon 06.07.2015, 13:19

New discussion on old thread - surely more has been contributed somewhere in the interim, but darned if I can find it!
Manual says US/FED car (mine is 27233) should have 24mm thread length on chrome bolts (and 22mm for black bolts supplied with steel wheels for winter tyres, Euro only - yes, it's this subtle 2mm difference which partially contributes to my concern about getting it right).
Somewhat corroded bolts in situ (appear almost never to have been chrome?) on my car have the 19mm head and ~24mm thread length. (should be M12 x 1.5, but not measured)
The 60 degree taper has been widely confirmed, but the manual doesn't speak to the head size NOR any difference between bolts for factory 15" (Euro) and 16" (US) standard wheels - except to note the wheels are not interchangeable.
I simply (or not so?) would appreciate clarification as to what I need to purchase to restore the appearance without creating difficulties with too long/short threads...and if I end up with 17mm heads, probably need the p/n for a new 'on board' lug wrench too...
Even the seemingly all-inclusive GGLC nuts & bolts reference doesn't (yet) have any listing for the wheel bolts.
Thanks in advance,
Peter M100 Newbie in FL
pmb

Postby daveiow » Mon 06.07.2015, 13:58

Hi pmb
To simplify things all I did was purchase some 19mm chrome caps that fit over the wheel bolt heads.
I will take a photo of them when I get the car out next. They were easily available on line but I know it may be more difficult on your side of the pond.
David
"live long and prosper"
Calypso Red 91se. Hispecs,Samco's & BCN cables & SSK so far!
Alfa Sud 1.5ti long gone but not forgotten
daveiow
Fanatic

Postby daveiow » Mon 06.07.2015, 19:38

Photo as promised
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"live long and prosper"
daveiow
Fanatic

Postby pmb » Mon 06.07.2015, 20:29

Thanks very much, Dave! They look good - appears you have the 15" Euro wheels? Might you know if there are logo wheel centres, as you have, which will fit my wheels?
One complaint I've heard is that the wells in the alloys are a bit snug for a 19mm socket, so some seem to have opted for the 17mm heads for that reason.
Learning as we go,
Peter
pmb

Postby daveiow » Mon 06.07.2015, 20:56

Yes they are the standard 15inch SE wheels with the original centre caps.
I'm sorry but I have no experience of the Fed or S2 wheels and bolts but this being LEC I'm sure someone will be along soon that does :D
All the best
David
"live long and prosper"
daveiow
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Mon 06.07.2015, 21:21

The Fed wheels use the same centre caps and bolts as the 15" UK/ROW wheels as they are both made by the same company (OZ Racing) - they have the 19mm head on the bolts and ARE quite snug in the casting - especially if using a standard socket.

The S2 wheels use a different centre cap and the holes for the bolts are narrower, so if you use the 19mm headed bolts there is insufficient room to get a socket on without risking scratching the wheel - hence they specified the 17mm headed bolts.

I use the 17mm headed bolts on SE wheels to allow extra clearence for a socket and reduce risk of damage (and I still wrap the socket with tape to prevent any metal-to-metal contact).

I have bought a set of black bolts to go with my black wheels, and these ones fit fine.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Next

Return to Wheels and Tyres