advice on wheel/tyre choice

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, clemo, nitroman, Specky, GeoffSmith, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT

Re: advice on wheel/tyre choice

Postby bobbrown » Sat 07.03.2009, 15:49

max and andy wrote:I'm looking to buy a set of 16 inch + 60. For track use only .It doesn't matter what they look like. Am i dreaming or are they readily available? Secondhand Or new .The cheaper the better.What are my chances ? Maxine & Andy

Not that easy to get hold or rims with a 60 offset!!!!!!!
May be a nice new set of S2's (see group buys) for road use and your existing wheels for track use.

Bob
Pacific Blue N/A
" When you’re up to your arse in alligators, it’s difficult to remember that the object of the exercise is to drain the swamp"
please use email for correspondence
bobbrown
God

Postby Nige » Sat 07.03.2009, 17:52

Bob is absoloutely right. Unless you buy original Elan wheels you will not be able to find wheels in the 60mm offset. If you are going to have a set of wheels for track use I assume you will be putting track tyres on them? If so work out which track tyres you want (full track or road legal track) if they are available in 16" then you could use the S2 wheels or the US Market (Federal) wheels which are 16". I use Toyo R888s, these are not available in 16" (205 45 16) so Ihave 17" BMW Mini wheels which fit if the centre bore is machined very slightly and have 205 40 17 tyres. These wheels have an offset of 48, I'd prefer 60 but that's the compromise I opted for.
Back in Blighty
Nige
LEC Administrator

Postby bobbrown » Sat 07.03.2009, 19:59

It is possible to get Vauxhall rims in 49 offset which are the fitment as ours.

Bob
Pacific Blue N/A
" When you’re up to your arse in alligators, it’s difficult to remember that the object of the exercise is to drain the swamp"
please use email for correspondence
bobbrown
God

Postby max and andy » Mon 13.04.2009, 21:55

We have just changed the front near side wheel for a new one. Whilst getting it changed we noticed that the fitter did refurbs. So we let them take the damaged one. When we get it back we intend to replace the front offside. When we change will we be able to use the old valve? If not will an average tyre place stock the valve we need or will we have to pre purchase one. We got a new valve in with the new wheel. So didn't have to bother with that one. Its an S2. Cheer's Max & Andy.
max and andy
God

Postby theelanman » Tue 14.04.2009, 00:15

IIRC the oz wheel uses a standard valve....it the bbs wheel that uses a short stubby metal valves.......(and theyre nit available anymore according to lotus....altho Ive not rung bbs yet)

:-D :-D
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby max and andy » Tue 14.04.2009, 00:19

It was a metal valve that was with the new S2 wheel. Do they need to remove the valve when doing the refurb? I'm sure you don't have to buy a new wheel to get a valve. When your getting a wheel refurbed is there a code for the silver paint? To be honest i just left the wheel and didn't think to ask. Will we need to tell them what model its off. The wheel is in a Lotus box but im not sure if Lotus use the same silver on every model. Andy
max and andy
God

Postby theelanman » Tue 14.04.2009, 00:45

derrrrr....
sorry thats me being thick....I know youve got an S2....think I had a CRAFT moment... :-D
from what Ive been told...the valves are reusable
cheers
G
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Previous

Return to Wheels and Tyres