advice on wheel/tyre choice

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, clemo, nitroman, Specky, GeoffSmith, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT

Re: advice on wheel/tyre choice

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 22.02.2009, 20:56

I would imagine that is per wheel. They certainly won't fit as-is as they work with a knock-off hub nut (see below) as Scott says rather than wheel bolts. You'd either have to have them made to fit the car or have special hubs made. I've been accused of being overly negative before but the more I think about it the more I doubt whether you could get anywhere near the correct offset and get sufficient clearance of the caliper, but I'm sure a wheel expert could advise.

Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby max and andy » Sun 22.02.2009, 23:38

it said on the wheel site post and pack per set so i presume the prices are given per set .from the tr shop the range from 495 to 895 per set.both sell conversion kits for all the other cars mentioned .but im not sure about lotus.max and andy :banana:
max and andy
God

Postby superbad » Mon 23.02.2009, 00:08

I'm reluctant to encourage this, but check daytonwirehweels.com. They make bolt on wire wheels, and they are sealed to allow the use of tubeless tires. The biggest offset I see on their site (for a 16x7 wheel) was +38mm, which is pretty far from stock. And I think you are very likely to have caliper fit problems- cross laced wire spokes take up a lot of space inside the wheel. Dayton also do custom wheels, so it's possible they could make you something that would work. I still don't see why you would want to measurably harm the performance of the car by doing this, but we all like different stuff I guess.
superbad
Fanatic

Postby theelanman » Mon 23.02.2009, 00:50

dont forget that bolt on wire wheels will have a central hub which will be 3 or 4 times the size to allow for the bolts..
to this end your spokes wont be too long......
if you go via the change the hub thing you'll need to remember that each side is different.....you will need 2 clockwise and 2 anticlockwise......otherwise you'll get your wheels unscrewing themselves......this is why you see port and starboard nuts on racing cars (red for port (left) and green for starboard (right))

what you may be able to do is get a bolt on hub to suit the std pattern with a knock on protrusion then use std knock on wheels....this may also help with your 60mm offset problem....

just thinking out loud :)
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby max and andy » Mon 23.02.2009, 01:03

cheers for the wheel site i think that chrome wires where made for roadsters look beautyfull. i think the z3 and z4 look great and i thought for a moment the white car was an mx 5.its a shame that a price list was not on site .if they can do a 60 it could open a few doors.whats the correct terminoligy when asking for a 60mm offset or is it simple just that.no left or right or anything like that. im really suprised that more people ha.vent tried to use them .there having a massive reasurgence in the states.and very big in custom bikes.i think thats where the trends coming from.maxine :banana:
max and andy
God

Postby theelanman » Mon 23.02.2009, 01:13

the pics show a knock on wheel.....if your using knock ons then you need hubs....and its the hubs and spinners that need to be handed in pairs
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby max and andy » Mon 23.02.2009, 01:37

i was looking at the bolt on section.you must admit the do look beautfull.and im sure i saw a diagrame with wires with offset made for bolt on hubs.max :banana:i think the adaptor looks like it narrows down to about 5 cm .so the spokes should look the same as old skool wires ,i think .e
max and andy
God

Postby superbad » Mon 23.02.2009, 01:48

max and andy wrote:whats the correct terminoligy when asking for a 60mm offset or is it simple just that.no left or right or anything like that.

That site lists "backspace" instead of offset, which is a different way of measuring the same thing. Backspace is taken from the inside rim, so you need to know the wheel width to convert to offset. I'm sure they'll know what you mean if you specify a +60mm offset though.
superbad
Fanatic

Postby max and andy » Mon 23.02.2009, 01:53

so you take the width of the back plate away from the +60mm.max :banana:
max and andy
God

Postby tweetdriver63 » Mon 23.02.2009, 02:06

superbad wrote:
max and andy wrote:whats the correct terminoligy when asking for a 60mm offset or is it simple just that.no left or right or anything like that.

That site lists "backspace" instead of offset, which is a different way of measuring the same thing. Backspace is taken from the inside rim, so you need to know the wheel width to convert to offset. I'm sure they'll know what you mean if you specify a +60mm offset though.

I would just tell them you need +60 offset. Backspace isn't the same thing as offset. Backspace is the distance from the mounting surface to the edge of the rim (on the suspension side). Offset is the distance from the centerline of the wheel to the mounting surface.
Chris

'91 Elan SE
'04 MB C230 Sport Coupe
'08 Mercury Mariner Hybrid
'12 Evora S GP Edition (In my dreams - HA!)
tweetdriver63
God

Postby max and andy » Mon 23.02.2009, 02:18

i think some colours dont look to hot red yellow white .but palicio come on.silver dark or light black blue i think would look great .i havnt seen any alloys on this site that suit the elan except the original s2 alloys ,and i think the chromed wi res a close second.i dont like the s1s much.max :banana:
max and andy
God

Postby max and andy » Mon 23.02.2009, 02:22

i should bo able to use the same tyre size in theory.or am i mistaken.
max and andy
God

Postby rip » Mon 23.02.2009, 09:57

max and andy wrote:i havnt seen any alloys on this site that suit the elan except the original s2 alloys ,and i think the chromed wi res a close second.i dont like the s1s much.max :banana:

I think the Fed alloys are an improvement on the 15" wheels (16" 'straight-spoked' version of the NA/SE wheel).

max and andy wrote:i should bo able to use the same tyre size in theory.or am i mistaken.

If the rims are the same size, then yes. But the +60 offset would be a problem again. +60 is extreme & I am not sure you would be able to have a spoked wheel with this offset. A smaller offset would make the wheels stick out a lot more. This will affect aesthetics & handling.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby max and andy » Mon 23.02.2009, 15:22

im going to have to give them a ring. does anyone no the time difference in dayton oh .oh =ohio i think.maxine :banana:
max and andy
God

Postby theelanman » Mon 23.02.2009, 15:30

Ive deffo missed a link somewhere....
the only link Ive seen was smiffys for the place in Macclesfield ......SAS
whot the ohio link?
theelanman

Postby max and andy » Mon 23.02.2009, 16:54

max and andy
God

Postby bobbrown » Mon 23.02.2009, 20:07

It is not just a case of the correct wheel offset there are other factors to take into consideration one of which is the brakes.
The clearances on any of the upgrades is "not a lot" and even the standard setup does not give a great deal of room to play with.
Not forgetting that most RWD cars tend to be negative offset which usually gives a lot more room for brakes etc.

Bob
Pacific Blue N/A
" When you’re up to your arse in alligators, it’s difficult to remember that the object of the exercise is to drain the swamp"
please use email for correspondence
bobbrown
God

Postby max and andy » Mon 23.02.2009, 23:43

does anyone no the time difference in dayton oh oh being ohio i think.cheers max and andy. :banana:
max and andy
God

Postby Doug » Tue 24.02.2009, 04:01

I didn't consult a proper time zone map, but Ohio should be 6 hours behind the UK (plus or minus an hour if I guessed wrong)
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby max and andy » Sat 07.03.2009, 14:51

I'm looking to buy a set of 16 inch + 60. For track use only .It doesn't matter what they look like. Am i dreaming or are they readily available? Secondhand Or new .The cheaper the better.What are my chances ? Maxine & Andy
max and andy
God

PreviousNext

Return to Wheels and Tyres