toyo tyres

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, clemo, nitroman, Specky, GeoffSmith, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT

toyo tyres

Postby mvf906 » Mon 06.04.2009, 17:51

Hi, has anyone put Toyo R888 tyres on and if so are they any good for road and track as advertised ?
me in my head, shifting & drifting, mechanical music, adrenaline surge
mvf906
Enthusiast

Re: toyo tyres

Postby dapinky » Mon 06.04.2009, 18:24

I think you'll find that Toyo state that they are road LEGAL, which is not the same as 'good for the road'.

They do have a legal tread pattern, but they do not disperse water as well as a proper road tyre - they are great for a smooth track, even a wet one, but uneven road surfaces with varying depths of water are not in their comfort zone.

Due to their composition, they work best when warm/hot, ie on a track once the heat has built up and can be maintained - on a road, this is unlikey to happen (or if it does, you won't be following me :D ).

They are intended for track use, and will enable to to drive to the track legally, at a sensible speed.

Personally, if it is for road use, I'd use a set of good road tyres (Toyo Proxes/Michelin Pilot/Goodyear NCT5/Yokohama 539 etc), if it is for track use, by all means use the 888's, as they will give better grip than a road tyre - in an ideal world, use road tyres to get there, then put track wheels on for the track.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Nige » Mon 06.04.2009, 18:39

I have R888's for track use and the 'road legal' status of them allows me to drive to and from the circuit in them. I would not recommend R888's as everyday road tyres. You'll get no wear out of them and so be changing them on a regular basis. However for track use I recommend them very highly. As pinky syas they need to get some heatr into them to work well and they are effective even on a wet track (proper wet tyres would be better). I don't think you can generate the heat they need in them to work effectively when driving on the road.
Back in Blighty
Nige
LEC Administrator

Postby Specky » Tue 07.04.2009, 01:34

I've got them fitted as well, the medium compound varient,

(On Track....) Even in the wet the grip was good, but they began to loose grip on long bends at about 100mph and tighter bends at about 60mph and hairpins about 35-40mph... but you soon get use to the power slide... :D

In the dry I haven't found the limit cause I run out of bottle...

At the time Camskill tyres were the cheapest place to source them...

I also found it hard to manage the tyre pressures in the wet...

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
Specky

Postby mvf906 » Tue 07.04.2009, 11:31

thanks for the info :D
me in my head, shifting & drifting, mechanical music, adrenaline surge
mvf906
Enthusiast

Return to Wheels and Tyres