Bridgestone RE-11 or Toyo Proxes R1R?

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Re: Bridgestone RE-11 or Toyo Proxes R1R?

Postby epipete » Fri 01.05.2015, 16:59

Like this, front Passenger Side looking from the bumper backwards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 02.05.2015, 01:42

epipete wrote:Ps: the direction is important, I am right in assuming that on the tyres that say 'right' this means the Drivers side (OS) and 'left' means Passenger (NS)?

Never seen Right & Left, most directional tyres have the word 'Rotation' inside an arrow on the sidewalls that indicates forward rotation. The tyre fitter will need to know what side you plan to fit the wheel and mount it accordingly. Your photo is correct fitment but that tyre could move across to the offside where the outside sidewall would become the inside sidewall and vice versa and so will be mounted on the offside wheel the other way round.

I've got some asymmetric snow tyres that have 'Inside' & 'Outside' on the sidewalls that dictates how they are put on the wheel but can then be fitted to either NS or OS.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Simon_P » Sat 02.05.2015, 08:24

The earlier discussion on tyre rating, neglects the fact that the original equipment tyre for the S2 was rated 83V.
Simon_P
God

Postby epipete » Sat 02.05.2015, 09:11

lotusflasherman wrote:
epipete wrote:Ps: the direction is important, I am right in assuming that on the tyres that say 'right' this means the Drivers side (OS) and 'left' means Passenger (NS)?

Never seen Right & Left, most directional tyres have the word 'Rotation' inside an arrow on the sidewalls that indicates forward rotation.

This is moulded (in this case on the tyre fitted to the OSF) on the wall of the Toyos:

image.jpg

Er, the left ones, say, um, Left :bonk:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 02.05.2015, 16:01

epipete wrote:
lotusflasherman wrote:

Never seen Right & Left, most directional tyres have the word 'Rotation' inside an arrow on the sidewalls that indicates forward rotation.

This is moulded (in this case on the tyre fitted to the OSF) on the wall of the Toyos:

Er, the left ones, say, um, Left :bonk:

Thanks, seen it now - but can't work that out, only makes sense if the the treads are asymmetric and directional if it can only be on the right?

Unless it say 'Left' on the inside wall of that tyre? That would make sense...

Otherwise tyre shops would have to stock left and right versions, like shoe shops do.. but for an Esprit they'd need 4 specific tyres in stock!

I have Goodyear Eagle F1's on current Elan and Avon ZZ1 on SORN'd one and they say 'Rotation' like all the other directional tyres I've seen...

photo (8).JPG

photo (9).JPG

Big quandary for directional tyres is 'always which way should the spare tyre be mounted? if you have a full size spare... '
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Previous

Return to Wheels and Tyres