S2 Wheels - bolts & centres

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

S2 Wheels - bolts & centres

Postby Gary1958 » Tue 31.12.2013, 13:40

Can I use the bolts from my standard OZ 15" wheels on the S2 16" version? I know that there are some available in the parts sale and can order them but wanted to check first?

Can I transfer the wheel centres over too?

Thanks,

Gary
Gary1958
Enthusiast

Re: S2 Wheels - bolts & centres

Postby tb10 » Tue 31.12.2013, 13:43

Hi Gary,

I'm not sure about the bolts but I know that one of the models had 17mm heads and the other 19mm. I'm not sure which way round but you may need a new wheel brace!

Swapping the centres - Nope! They are different and the S2's are expensive. The same centres were also used on the Esprit S4's. IIRC Hornesy Boy has some.

Kind regards and Happy New Year

John
tb10
Fanatic

Postby Gary1958 » Tue 31.12.2013, 14:11

Hi John,

thanks for your response. Having had the wheel and wheels arch liner off this morning I can confirm that the existing nuts are 19mm. So, it seems that changing to the 16" wheels creates quite an expense. I may just arrange to have my existing wheels refurbished and buy some new tyres too.

Best regards and happy New year to you

Gary

tb10 wrote:Hi Gary,

I'm not sure about the bolts but I know that one of the models had 17mm heads and the other 19mm. I'm not sure which way round but you may need a new wheel brace!

Swapping the centres - Nope! They are different and the S2's are expensive. The same centres were also used on the Esprit S4's. IIRC Hornesy Boy has some.

Kind regards and Happy New Year

John
Gary1958
Enthusiast

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 31.12.2013, 15:14

Gary: I believe the S2 wheels use a smaller head bolt because the bolts end up "deeper" into the casting and the 19mm wrench hits the wheel and scratches it. I don't think you will need to buy "True Lotus" bolts as there are a LOT of different wheel bolts available from the aftermarket. Caps, are another issue alltogether...
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby theelanman » Tue 31.12.2013, 15:39

Gary,
you can use both types of bolt on the 16 inch wheel you will find that the 15" SE wrench will be a tight fit on the 16 inch wheel, however the wheel centres are different. The 16 inch wheel was a bbs alloy and the 15 inch was an oz wheel, i think the wheels on the s4 esprit are the oz variety, you were able to buy the wheel centres from the esprit at the lotus after sales and these would fit the elan 15 inch wheel
cheers
G
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby lotos » Tue 31.12.2013, 15:57

I found bolts inexpensively online. And the center caps are not too pricey I don't think
lotos
God

Postby dapinky » Tue 31.12.2013, 16:51

something like these will be ideal, as like others have said, the 19mm head nuts dont give an awful lot of room to get a socket on them without scratching the wheel (I fitted the 17mm head ones on my SE wheels as a bit of 'extra' insurance against causing damage).

Of course, if you want even more clearance, then something like this
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby RayD » Tue 31.12.2013, 17:50

Can't upload pictures at present but searching through my posts using "wheel bolts" you'll find two photos eventually.

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby RayD » Tue 31.12.2013, 17:55

Here and Here

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby muley » Wed 01.01.2014, 11:43

I've got a spare stud conversion kit with 19mm nuts kicking around somewhere.

PM me for a price if you're interested.

Cheers

Jim
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man"
1995 Palacio S2 no 507
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)Black MX-5 NC Red Honda Integra S
muley

Postby rip » Wed 01.01.2014, 22:47

lotos wrote:And the center caps are not too pricey I don't think

I think oz centre caps cost me about about £9 each from SJ Sportscars last month.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby epipete » Sun 26.04.2015, 09:40

Over a year from the last post on this thread, it's time for a resurrection!

I am currently having my wheels refinished in a nice but controversial Anthrocite powder coat and want to dispense with the old rusty chrome bolts.

Picking up on Dave's comment above and the link provided I found these:

image.jpg

The Dimensions are

image.jpg

I am assuming that security is assurred by the key provided and that a set of Locking nuts won't be required.

Are these dimensions commensurate with the requirements of the 15" OZ wheels as fitted to the SE?

Thanks

Pete

Ps:
Having recently been chided for apparently not researching subject history more fully (I assure you all that I do) although my question relates to SE replacement bolts (rather than S2) the topic is suggested elsewhere in this thread, however anyone searching for SE Bolts may miss out on this wisdom :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby dapinky » Sun 26.04.2015, 11:37

Hi Pete,

before you buy something which appears to have been on my recommendation, I'd like to say that I didn't buy them!

My posting of the type of bolts was merely to state that the 'tuner' bolts do give a much reduced chance of wheel damage by careless bolt removal.

There were a couple of reasons for the decision, and the main one was that the diameter of the thickest bit of the conical seat is only 20mm, whereas the standard bolt has a width of 24mm - which equates to quite a lot of surface contact area!

Tuner bolts are not generally used in any (that I know of, but may be wrong) competition cars - now that may be because they aren't so robust, quick to change or any such reason, or it may be that they just aren't man enough for the job - i don't know :smt102 - they appear to be for the 'Show Cars' scene......

Anyway, I went for a set of these(you can get sets of 16, but i wanted some spares) - but if you want the option, they do a set of 16 standard bolts, and 4 locking bolts for a fiver more.

I know it says BMW on the listing, but the sizes are correct.

They claim to be non-rust, but only time will tell - and they're black!

They take a 17mm socket, so will give good clearance on an SE wheel (and clearance on an S2 wheel!).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby epipete » Sun 26.04.2015, 12:19

Brilliant Dave, thanks. Good explanation, exactly what I needed.

Pete
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Return to Wheels and Tyres