Twitchy after new tyres

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, Nige, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, Sy V, Specky, clemo, Dave Eds

Twitchy after new tyres

Postby epipete » Mon 04.05.2015, 16:03

Put new Toyo T1R on newly powder coated, and balanced, wheels on Friday, today was the first time out on a fast road and I have to confess it left me a little alarmed. Everything is ok, nice and quiet and feels fine until I get upto 70mph. At 70 it feels really twitchy at the rear end, kind of unstable, fish-tailing, even. Straight steering is very very light!

What could be the issue, it didn't happen with my old wheels (now removed) and I had these wheels on last year (with old tyres) and no problems, the only change is in the new tyres?

I need to check that the garage that fitted them have put in the correct tyre pressures, can anyone confirm what these are, are they different for the Toyos?

Any other thoughts, as to what may cause this issue in a car that has hitherto been stable?

Pete
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Re: Twitchy after new tyres

Postby Elanlover » Mon 04.05.2015, 16:21

I handful of things come immediately to mind - but these are only random thoughts really.

1) properly balanced?
2) loose bolts on the wheels?
3) unidirectional tires not pointed in the right direction?
4) adjustable suspension (if you have one) out of adjustment?
5) tires need to be worked in a bit - most performance tires do and given the rear end of the car is light you'd feel a bit slippery on the back.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby epipete » Mon 04.05.2015, 16:47

Thanks for that.

I've no reason to doubt the balancing, I've used these tyre suppliers several times and have been happy so far, but I may check. Bolts are checked and tight. I had a bit of debate about the tyre direction elsewhere but this is also correct. OEM suspension hitherto not causing any issues, so it looks likely, that #5 on your list 'tyres need working in' is maybe the culprit :bowdown:

Of interest, has anyone else has this issue on changing tyres, and, if so, how much time/mileage before they settled?

Pete
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby Fredjohn » Mon 04.05.2015, 16:49

Pete
Tyres need scrubbing in a bit before full hard on use too.

Tyre pressure? I run my identical Toyos at about 26.5/27psi and car feels firm, responsive and very stable at all speeds. Settled in after about 50-100 miles if I remember correctly.

I'd check pressures first as an obvious starting point. If the fitters over-inflated the tyres they will feel skittish, particularly at the rear. Along with the over-light steering at speed, it does rather point to over-inflation though.

I assume you have your own tyre pressure gauge...........??????????????
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Elite SLR Endurance 9.8 carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby epipete » Mon 04.05.2015, 17:05

I'm off to the garage!

I have an electric pump but I'm never to confident of the calibration.
epipete
God

Postby Rambo » Mon 04.05.2015, 17:15

I bet the tyre pressures are probably too high ...... 35 - 40 psi :shock: :shock: Hope you didn't go to KwikShit :lol: :lol:

As others have said, new tyres need a bit of bedding in/scrubbing. New tyres always seem to have a silky/oily feel to them.

I recall a few others saying the Toyos can be a bit skittish, particularly in the wet :?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Artaban » Mon 04.05.2015, 17:27

New Toyo's all round fitted last year. Felt perfect straight away but then I had told them to make sure the pressures were 26.5 all round. They thought they should be 32. My car feels very different even at 30 psi with the sort of symptoms you are describing. I've experimented with pressures either side of the 26.5 and I have to admit that 26.5 is bang on with the best feel.
Andy
My wife's just divorced me because I wouldn't open the car door for her!
To be fair I panicked and swam straight for the surface.
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Mon 04.05.2015, 17:37

I would agree with that Andy. I always run with 26.5 or 27.5 all round and never have problems.

Most tyre fitters will over inflate to about 33/34 unless you specify otherwise

Re the subject of rubber... I just wish that Goodyear still made the Eagle F1's :(
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby chipp » Mon 04.05.2015, 17:42

I ran T1Rs on my daily (elan) a couple of years ago and they performed really well, but if they are over inflated they will feel skittish.

chipp
92SE written off
95S2 sold
91SE sold
chipp
Fanatic

Postby epipete » Mon 04.05.2015, 17:56

Well, I'm very grateful to you all; it seems they were considerably overinflated. This one is typical at nearly 40psi :shock:

Now reduced (according to my uncalibrated pump) to 27psi all around.

Pity it raining!!!

Pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
epipete
God

Postby dapinky » Mon 04.05.2015, 18:22

I'd also go for tyres with too much air.

Tyres should be fully run-in after 50-100 miles of steady driving - it's just to remove the greasy film (silicon?) from the moulding process.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Rambo » Mon 04.05.2015, 21:58

Rambo wrote:I bet the tyre pressures are probably too high ...... 35 - 40 psi :shock: :shock:

Thought so :? :?

It will be interesting to hear how it now drives :burnout:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby epipete » Mon 04.05.2015, 22:25

Rambo wrote:It will be interesting to hear how it now drives :burnout:

Aye, I'll let you know, but I'm reluctant to take it out in the rain, not because of the twitch but because I don't want my new paint to get wet :roll:
epipete
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 05.05.2015, 00:49

epipete wrote:Well, I'm very grateful to you all; it seems they were considerably overinflated. This one is typical at nearly 40psi :shock:

Now reduced (according to my uncalibrated pump) to 27psi all around.

Pity it raining!!!

Pete

I never trust gauges on pumps until I've checked them against a known pressure - I've got a 240V pump with an analogue gauge that varies by 10psi between pumping and not pumping so always use a digital guage to check final pressure. These are surprisingly accurate for £3.49 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311067896865
... and what's all this 'not going out in the rain because of new paint' ... sounds like an old lady who's just had a new hairdo... cars are meant to be driven. :roll:
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Elan+"S.... and now a Collapso SE
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Enright » Tue 05.05.2015, 12:35

epipete wrote:
Rambo wrote:It will be interesting to hear how it now drives :burnout:

Aye, I'll let you know, but I'm reluctant to take it out in the rain, not because of the twitch but because I don't want my new paint to get wet :roll:

Sort of understandable, but if you do happen to get caught out in it, prepare for your jaw to drop for all the right reasons. I got T1R's and was amazed at just how much MORE confidence they inspire in wet conditions.
Striking fear into the hearts of duplicate posts everywhere...! :P

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
Enright
Modificator

Postby Fredjohn » Tue 05.05.2015, 12:59

Enright wrote:Sort of understandable, but if you do happen to get caught out in it, prepare for your jaw to drop for all the right reasons. I got T1R's and was amazed at just how much MORE confidence they inspire in wet conditions.

:agree:

As I think I have said elsewhere I know of at least one Elise racing team that use the T1R as their wet weather tyre.

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby epipete » Tue 05.05.2015, 13:29

lotusflasherman wrote:... and what's all this 'not going out in the rain because of new paint' ... sounds like an old lady who's just had a new hairdo... cars are meant to be driven. :roll:

Too true, and my next hair appointment isn't until Wednesday!

I've purchased one of those digital thingies that you linked to above though Toby, so thanks for that.
Last edited by epipete on Tue 05.05.2015, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
epipete
God

Postby epipete » Tue 05.05.2015, 13:30

John, given where this car is destined for I'm not to sure about the requirement for wet weather performance, please tell be that they will be ok in the hot Mediterranean climate :banghead:
epipete
God

Postby Fredjohn » Tue 05.05.2015, 13:43

epipete wrote:John, given where this car is destined for I'm not to sure about the requirement for wet weather performance, please tell be that they will be ok in the hot Mediterranean climate :banghead:

At least you have hair.......

They should be fine in a hot climate: it's the melting tarmac you should worry about (for tyres and paintwork!!!!!) Often experienced it in France in May: the "thin pour it on" filler tarmac used for sealing joints seems to melt above about 25/30 deg!

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby Bolsom » Sat 09.05.2015, 19:12

I put Toyo's on the back with almost new goodyear on the front and had the same problems. Going along
the straight at 90/100 was really scary. I lowered the pressures to 28 which improved control but
it needed another 100+ miles to feel comfortable.

Colin
Bolsom
Enthusiast

Next

Return to Wheels and Tyres