Directional Tyres - Well, I never knew that!

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Directional Tyres - Well, I never knew that!

Postby lotusflasherman » Fri 29.05.2015, 18:13

I've commented on previous posts that I have a collection of spare SE rims and like to take a full size spare in the boot when I go to the south of France and not carry that silly bicycle tyre with it's speed restriction. Somehow I've ended up with either Goodyear Eagle F1 or Avon ZZ1 tyres on them and both are directional tyres so I thought the choice of spare needed me to anticipate which side I'd get a puncture.
I've just read something in the manual that says directional tyres have a 'preferred direction' and a 'non-preferred direction' and there I was thinking fitting them the directional way was mandatory... :bonk:

Elan Service Notes Section GD Page 3 (halfway down) -
Note: Directional Tread. The Goodyear 'Eagle GS-D' tyres used on cars' with 16in wheels, have a preferred direction of rotation which is indicated both by an arrow on the tyre sidewall, and by the tread pattern itself as shown in the illustration. The tyre is safe to use in the non-preferred direction, and doing so will result only in a marginally reduced wet weather performance. However, this condition should not be retained for excessive periods, and it is recommended that the tyre is refitted to achieve the correct condition of preferred rotation at the earliest opportunity.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Re: Directional Tyres - Well, I never knew that!

Postby rip » Sat 30.05.2015, 00:47

A wrongly fitted directional will try to gather the water inwards towards the middle of the tyre instead of pushing it outwards.
I don't see the difference in the dry though.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Dave Eds » Sat 30.05.2015, 07:39

rip wrote:A wrongly fitted directional will try to gather the water inwards towards the middle of the tyre instead of pushing it outwards.

Except when reversing :lol:
'92 NM SE '90 Calypso SE now sold '10 Evora NA '62 Wolseley 1500

Spud's Cotswold Holiday Cottage for hire - LEC discount available
Dave Eds

Location: High Cross, Herts or Mickleton, Gloucs or somewhere else

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 30.05.2015, 11:24

rip wrote:A wrongly fitted directional will try to gather the water inwards towards the middle of the tyre instead of pushing it outwards.
I don't see the difference in the dry though.

:agree: pretty obvious that water will get squeezed into the 'point of the arrow' and have nowhere to go and in significant water probably result in aquaplaning - that's why I thought correct fitment would be mandatory and not 'preferred'.
I wouldn't call aquaplaning 'a marginally reduced wet weather performance' !

For the dry there may be a slightly different movement of the tread blocks under heavy braking but I haven't thought through the theory - will it produce better grip, squeal earlier, wear more ... swapping them round on a track day might be an interesting exercise. All I know is fitted the 'non-preferred' way they just don't look right.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby epipete » Sat 30.05.2015, 11:28

I think the entire point is that whatever direction it will enable you to get to your destination assuming you drive conscientiously, and then you can change it to the right direction.

This information, for me, is very useful, thanks.
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Return to Wheels and Tyres