Best road tyre for (S2) 16'' wheel

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Re: Best road tyre for (S2) 16'' wheel

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 21.07.2015, 23:41

Rambo wrote:
lotusflasherman wrote:
Rambo wrote:From memory it's 26.5 psi (1.8 Bar) At least, that's what mine run on :burnout:

:agree:
Handbook says 26.5psi front & rear for Turbo; 32psi front and rear for N.A. - it had a slightly lower spec tyre but could never understand the increase in pressure :smt102

The tyre pressures are always quoted for cold tyres, which generally means hasn't been driven for 2 to 3 hours or more. When they are hot pressures will be increased by 4 to 5 psi so if you drive a couple of miles to a garage to pump them up put in about 30psi and check with a gauge when cold - hopefully will be 26.5 psi or above ... easy to let out the surplus, bit more work to put more in...

You're correct Phil but I run with 1.8 bar when warm and find it suits my kind of driving :burnout:

I only think in psi and only use a 'bar' to buy beer! :cheers: Had to use an app on my phone to work out you run at 26.1 psi warm. Probably very similar to my 24 psi cold..
As I said... not an exact science and as long as it feels right it probably is.. Too soft and they'll squeal and get hot due to excessive sidewall deflection and shimmy around under braking, too hard and you'll bounce around and shake the fillings out of your teeth - but somewhere in between is the 'sweet spot'..
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 21.07.2015, 23:45

theelanman wrote:
Rob P wrote:
theelanman wrote:Yokohama S drive have been my favourites........the problem Im finding is that the tyre life is expiring before the tread these days.......

note to self......use the car more........ :poke:

Gareth, you can always bring the Elan round here and I'll let Matthew put some miles on for you, plus if he drives it the way he drives mine he'll use the tread up quite quickly for sure :lol:

:-D :-D :-D :-D
I do think that now I reckon I do about 1000mile/year in it I'll probably move to something more buttery........like a Pirelli or other remarkably soft and quick wearing (but incredibly grippy) tyre.

the P zero seem to stick like chuff n wear bloomin quick......should suit 5 years at 1000m/yr

Gareth, Your problem is you've just too many nice cars to choose from! :lol:
Phil

Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 22.07.2015, 00:04

GeoffSmith wrote:Doesn't the 1996 service bulletin trump the handbook?

Probably 'Yes' .... but I'll trump that with an email from Michelin dated 5 June 2003 telling me what the replacement for the MXX-2 was as I found they'd been discontinued. :lol:
They said 205/50 ZR 15 86Y Pilot Sport was exactly equivalent and the pressures would still be 1.8 bar/ 26.5psi.
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Previous

Return to Wheels and Tyres