Not wheels and tyres but car jack !!

Moderators: theelanman, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT, Specky, Elanlover, GeoffSmith

Re: Not wheels and tyres but car jack !!

Postby John_W » Tue 12.04.2016, 13:05

I don't think that I've ever used the rear jacking points on my SE (tyre fitting and exhaust places have used them, though). My rear wheel comes off the ground when I jack the front up, and if I'm working on rear brakes, I use a trolley jack under the centre rear chassis channel (with a wood load-spreading support I've rigged up) to lift both rears at the same time.
John
John_W
Philistine

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 12.04.2016, 13:51

I must admit to the odd titter when people started fitting rear suspension struts and discovering that they could lift both wheels with the front jack.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - Sorry, currently unavailable.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Rambo » Tue 12.04.2016, 18:56

GeoffSmith wrote:I must admit to the odd titter....

Welcome back Timmo ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rambo
Underage drinker

Postby Tuga2112 » Fri 03.06.2016, 00:49

On the same topic but a bit of a thread Steal.

I am aware of the 4 conical jacking points plus the extra 4 positions closer to the centre of the SE as alternative jacking points.
Is there any other places that are safe to use ? (ideally some that will allow both rear/front wheels up and stands to be placed into the cones)

My driveway has an annoying set-up. (2 lines of concrete slabs to drive through and pebbles in the middle and all around. )
I have been coping by moving some slabs I made around when jacking the car and putting the axle stands (I remove the pebbles to get to firm ground for the slabs) on them.
If there was a central jacking place for the whole rear/front that i could use safely it would avoid moving slabs around every time I do some work.
1991 elan se ongoing project
1991 elan se blue off road project
1994 celica GT4
1994 4Runner
1998 celica SR (off the road)

Small project
Tuga2112
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Wheels and Tyres