Spigot Rings

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Spigot Rings

Postby simonbuk » Wed 13.04.2016, 22:11

Having taken all my wheels of recently I noticed they what I think you call a white plastic spigot ring. I also noticed that the last wheel I removed was missing one.

Is there any real point to them ? Surely the wheels should fit no problem ?

I've tried to work out the size if I need some and think its going to be this size -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPIGOT-RINGS- ... 0495879289

Am I correct ?!
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Re: Spigot Rings

Postby Rambo » Wed 13.04.2016, 22:14

Never heard of anyone having these things with either SE or S2 alloys
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby Rambo » Wed 13.04.2016, 22:16

Just blown up your avatar. Not literally of course ! Looks like you have non standard wheels so I presume they're some kind of spacer to centralise the wheel on the hub ?
Last edited by Rambo on Wed 13.04.2016, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby simonbuk » Wed 13.04.2016, 22:18

Yes, sorry should have said. They are Enzo B 16×6.5 - 100/45/60.1 ( found the delivery note)
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 13.04.2016, 23:03

simonbuk wrote:Is there any real point to them ? Surely the wheels should fit no problem ?

If you have non-standard wheels where the bore is larger than the boss on the hub, spigot rings just help centre the wheel to get the wheel bolts into the holes.
Without them you may need to lift the wheel a bit to get a bolt into a hole. They just make life easier but the taper seats on the bolts pull the wheel into 'true centre' so spigot rings are not essential.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Elan+"S.... and now a Collapso SE
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Grant » Wed 13.04.2016, 23:12

Some wheels/hubs are hub centric others are bolt centric. I believe Elan wheels are hub centric, meaning if you have after market wheels you do need the rings to properly center the wheels. Also the weight of the car should ride on the hub, not the bolts.
Grant
Tinkerer

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 13.04.2016, 23:48

Grant wrote:Some wheels/hubs are hub centric others are bolt centric. I believe Elan wheels are hub centric, meaning if you have after market wheels you do need the rings to properly center the wheels. Also the weight of the car should ride on the hub, not the bolts.

Think I have to disagree with you. Hub centric wheels usually have sleeve nuts with flat washers and the hub flange centres the wheel but still the weight of the car is carried by the wheel being bolted to the hub flange, at the correct torque it shouldn't move. Unless the wheel is an interference fit on the hub it cannot relieve the load on the bolts. The OE wheels are an exact fit for the 56mm hub flange but taper seats suggest it's the bolts that centre them.. 'belt and braces' maybe?
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Elan+"S.... and now a Collapso SE
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Grant » Thu 14.04.2016, 22:25

I am certainly no expert. I just had read that it is important for the weight of the car to ride on the hub vs. the bolts. I have always used metal spigot rings.
www.lotuselancentral.com/upgrade/wheels.htm
Grant
Tinkerer

Postby Simon_P » Fri 15.04.2016, 16:51

The weight of the vehicle is borne by neither the hub (centre) or the bolts. This Is a description of how the wheel is centred, not how the weigh or drive are transmitted.

The bolts clamp the wheel to the hub face, and the face transfers the loads.
Simon_P
God

Return to Wheels and Tyres