Electric Water Pump

Please put all your known Elan Cross-Refenced parts here--click "start new topic" and title it with the part type, then add all known info to the post.

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Re: Electric Water Pump

Postby Steve A » Sun 22.04.2018, 23:00

Jamie N wrote:I have one here Steve, want me to fire it in the post?, free of charge of course. :D

Thanks for the offer esprit888 but Jamie's is just too good to turn down :D
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby esprit888 » Mon 23.04.2018, 17:51

Steve A wrote:
Jamie N wrote:I have one here Steve, want me to fire it in the post?, free of charge of course. :D

Thanks for the offer esprit888 but Jamie's is just too good to turn down :D

No worries Steve, i cant beat that! I'll post it on Ebay under 'Taking the Pi** :lol:
esprit888
Fanatic

Postby Steve A » Tue 01.05.2018, 19:35

:? Well I fitted the working pump from Jamie N today but it would appear I have no voltage going to the pump :banghead: .
The old pump was dead and the fuse was blown, I've now replaced both.
If I remove the plug from the thermostat and earth it (ignition off) I'm expecting voltage at the pump plug but not getting any?
I do get voltage between the the thermostat plug and earth, to make matters worse I'm on nights so easily confused :bonk: :lol:
Steve A
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 01.05.2018, 20:45

Steve A wrote::? Well I fitted the working pump from Jamie N today but it would appear I have no voltage going to the pump :banghead: .
If I remove the plug from the thermostat and earth it (ignition off) I'm expecting voltage at the pump plug but not getting any?
I do get voltage between the the thermostat plug and earth, to make matters worse I'm on nights so easily confused :bonk: :lol:

Check the wiring diag' Steve.. Electric pump only runs when engine is hot enough for cooling fans to be running and then you are stupid enough to switch off the ignition... the pump then runs against the normal flow to cool the head. Those who fit a manual switch for it to work when engine is running are also stupid..

Wouldn't know if pump worked on any of my 3 SE's as never let it get in situation where it will run...
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Elan+"S.... and now a Collapso SE
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 01.05.2018, 21:12

Steve A wrote::? Well I fitted the working pump from Jamie N today but it would appear I have no voltage going to the pump :banghead: .

Should work if you're earthing the cooling/rad fan temperature/thermal switch lead. Also, if you do it with the ignition on, the fans should run.

http://wikilec.com/images/e/e0/MJ25-18_Cooling_Fans.gif

Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Steve A » Wed 02.05.2018, 01:49

:goodposting: thanks Geoff you've been very helpful :smt023
Steve A
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 02.05.2018, 09:04

Steve A wrote::goodposting: thanks Geoff you've been very helpful :smt023

:agree: Sorry, seem to have been in Grumpy Old Engineer mode last night .. as Geoff says.. simulate the rad fan thermal switch to closed by earthing wire down and fans should run with ignition on, ignition off pump should have volts to run ...

if you've replaced 5A fuse C4 and know the new pump works the prime suspect can only be the Cooling Pump Relay. If your old pump managed to cause C4 to blow there's a chance the relay contacts aren't too good..

oh... and I do check mine prior to trips to the south of France where it might be useful ... only wish it was warm enough to need it here. Had frost on my hood and ice on the rear window yesterday morning.. on the 1st of May ... :banghead:
Phil

Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Elan+"S.... and now a Collapso SE
lotusflasherman
God

Postby Saltire » Wed 02.05.2018, 10:55

lotusflasherman wrote:. . . seem to have been in Grumpy Old Engineer mode last night . . .

I thought that was the default mode for us engineers? :lol:
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
God

Postby Steve A » Wed 02.05.2018, 15:22

:evil: I'm on night's so if I can't use that excuse nobody can :lol:
Steve A
God

Postby Giniw » Wed 02.05.2018, 17:01

lotusflasherman wrote:Wouldn't know if pump worked on any of my 3 SE's as never let it get in situation where it will run...
Even after it has stopped and the engine is off too, the pump sometimes turns on a few minutes after I parked the car because the heat is not dissipated any more.
Do you have never seen that on your cars?
PS: I must have a low temp switch as it turns when the needle is on the second mark.
Giniw
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 02.05.2018, 17:15

My excuse is I'm working long hours with younger engineers (everyone is younger than me these days) who think they are 'budding authors' .
We are trying to write operational procedures for people to work to and they are trying to write a novel or compete with iphone Terms & Conditions... :banghead:

I've put a poster on the wall that says
"Simplify, then add brevity" (wonder who inspired that...)
not
"Complicate, then add verbiage"
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby Saltire » Wed 02.05.2018, 17:50

lotusflasherman wrote: I've put a poster on the wall that says
not

My favourite is Blaise Pascal: "I'm sorry I wrote you such a long letter; I didn't have time to write a short one."
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 02.05.2018, 18:37

Giniw wrote:
lotusflasherman wrote:Wouldn't know if pump worked on any of my 3 SE's as never let it get in situation where it will run...
Even after it has stopped and the engine is off too, the pump sometimes turns on a few minutes after I parked the car because the heat is not dissipated any more.
Do you have never seen that on your cars?
PS: I must have a low temp switch as it turns when the needle is on the second mark.

After switch off there will be a bit of movement of the hottest water into the head but the pump is switched by the rad fan thermal switch. If the fans don't run with ignition on, the pump won't run with ignition off. Somewhere on the 'Temp Gauge' thread I posted a picture showing where my fans kick in .... here it is Image

Blimey, that's big! Why it's bigger than in the thread it's copied from ????

If the temperature isn't over 1/2 scale there's no chance the pump will run...
My pump has only run once, in the south of France when ambient temp was 38°C and the sun so hot that my Calypso Red SE turned pink ... :lol:
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby Steve A » Wed 02.05.2018, 18:58

:D when my electric pump did work it was normally when I had to queue for sometime to get in somewhere like a car show or ferry etc

Anyway after looking at the circuit diagram I could see that the relay for the fans is the same for the pump so I swapped them over and hey presto the fault went with it :)

Now can I buy this 12v 40A 5 pin relay at my local or will I have to go online :roll:
Steve A
God

Postby GeoffSmith » Wed 02.05.2018, 19:47

lotusflasherman wrote:My excuse is I'm working…

Sorry, you've lost me there.
Calypso Red S2 #417

GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby dapinky » Wed 02.05.2018, 20:00

GeoffSmith wrote:Sorry, you've lost me there.

Nope - I can't help out with the meaning of that word :smt017 :smt017
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 02.05.2018, 21:32

Saltire wrote:
lotusflasherman wrote: I've put a poster on the wall that says
not

My favourite is Blaise Pascal: "I'm sorry I wrote you such a long letter; I didn't have time to write a short one."

Sorry Steve for :offtopic: but the Project Manager is of Greek descent and mentioned Laconia and their art of using few words - where 'laconic' comes from.
Philip of Macedonia (father of Alexander the Great) was rampaging around Greece taking over everything and got to Sparta, capital of Laconia and with army assembled outside sent in messenger with " If I invade your city I will kill your men, rape your women and enslave your children"...
Reply he got was "If"....
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby Steve A » Thu 03.05.2018, 17:39

:D Well if you've been patient enough to wade through some of the bullshit well done :clap:
here's some information that might be of use:

Halfords do a 12v 40A five pin number HEF559 £7.99 :shock: , there is no doubt cheaper alternatives out there (feel free to chime in now that I've got one :P )
I wanted to actually go into the shop and hold it in my hand so I could compare it (and I didn't want to wait).
The relay popped straight into the slot and does the job.

Steve A
God

Postby GeoffSmith » Thu 03.05.2018, 20:10

They're bog standard automotive relays Steve. But £8! :shock: :lol:
Calypso Red S2 #417

GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Steve A » Thu 03.05.2018, 20:48

GeoffSmith wrote:They're bog standard automotive relays Steve. But £8! :shock: :lol:

Yeah I know :roll: all my local shops didn't stock them, 30A was the highest, haven't really got a decent breakers near me either.
Steve A
God

Previous

Return to Part Cross-Reference