Instrument Voltage Regulator

Please put all your known Elan Cross-Refenced parts here--click "start new topic" and title it with the part type, then add all known info to the post.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, clemo, Nige, Specky, Sy V, GeoffSmith, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman

Instrument Voltage Regulator

Postby Simon_P » Wed 09.01.2019, 17:12

Fed-up wit the fuel and temp gauges being inconsistent I have decided to change the voltage regulator.

I'm sure that there was an article somewhere that that showed how to change it and gave the part number....

After looking I found this
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=20752&p=280711&hilit=LM2937ET#p280711
which wasn't the post I remembered it also shows LM2937ET-5 and I recall it being -10

After some more searching for instrument bulbs I came across this in the wiki
http://wikilec.com/view/Instrument_panel
which states LM2937ET-10

The package appears to be TO-220
but is the output voltage 5v or 10v ?

Thanks,
Simon
Simon_P
God

Re: Instrument Voltage Regulator

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 09.01.2019, 17:43

Simon:

I ordered one years ago from Lotus (A100N6007S) and I received an unidentifiable voltage regulator. Although I expected a TO220 package I got a chip I couldn't cross-reference.

I never followed up on it as 10V would be more expected. I will dig it out of the boxes and post a picture. I will also pull a facia assembly down and take a picture of the back-side to see if I can find any details.

I know the GM tank unit that Lotus used wasn't exactly linear in it's design so the gauge could rarely be trusted. I gather Lotus used GM sensors but a different brand of gauge and their electrical properties don't really match.

Do both of your gauges read consistently high or low? That would be an indication of a bad voltage regulator. Didn't Geoff work on a way to correct the fuel gauge mis-readings?
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Thu 10.01.2019, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby GeoffSmith » Wed 09.01.2019, 17:56

Simon, it's 10V. I'll be in touch tomorrow when I get home. About this and the lighter...
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Simon_P » Wed 09.01.2019, 20:54

Hi John,

Yet that was my reason for repeating the package I've also ordered IC's before and received something much smaller than expected.

Not too fussed about linearity, the Blue car has got to the stage where the low fuel warning comes on when the gauge shows near 1/4 full, and its ok when the fans come on just above half, but just over 3/4 gets me a little worried. I'm using the care every day and on long journeys so I need it to be consistent.

Thanks Geoff, no hurry I'm fixing the mirrors at the moment so I can see other traffic, then I'll do the dash light so that I can see what's going on in the dark.
Simon_P
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 09.01.2019, 22:31

Sorry for the confusion. Up until recently, I didn't have a spare cluster so had not seen the installed regulator.

Here are some pictures. The stock Lotus regulator is an ITT chip and the other numbers don't identify it. Since it ended in 5, I mistakenly assumed that was the voltage.
The correct voltage is 10V, not the 5V I thought I got

I used the non-Lotus one to show the difference between the original and the TO220, not to show the voltage.
Click on any of them for a larger view

I lined the original one with the 78 series for reference.

Cluster1.jpg

Cluster2.jpg

Voltage Reg1.jpg

Voltage Reg2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Thu 10.01.2019, 14:11, edited 3 times in total.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby GeoffSmith » Thu 10.01.2019, 12:53

Back to a proper computer now, so just a few quick points.
1. My Wiki info says it all: The original regulator is +10V low dropout voltage (i.e. will operate with only half a volt between input and output) and will tolerate input voltage spike is of up 36V. My suggested replacement (as far as I can tell the same spec apart from reduced 0.5A output current) is the LM2937ET-10.
2. The part discussed in the thread referenced by Simon is wrong - I have added a warning.
3. It looks like Lotus are new shipping LM7805ACT as a replacement. The spec. for this:
Output voltage: 5V - completely wrong!
Dropout voltage: 2V - gauges may read low at tickover.
Maximum input voltage: 25V - small risk of going pop with spikes from e.g. rough alternator output.
Operating temperature: 0°C to 125°C - don't expect the gauges to work in the snow.
4. The originals are nearly 30 years old (date coded 90XX) and we will probably see more failures over the years. The LM2937 seems to be NLA (no longer available) from reputable suppliers and leaded (TO220 package) components are becoming obsolete fast. I will look into this when time allows.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 10.01.2019, 14:09

It looks like Lotus are new shipping LM7805ACT as a replacement.

NOooooo!

I got it wrong a few years ago when I received the original one in the Lotus package.

The most recent picture is just me using a spare Voltage Regulator to show the SIZE difference between the correct 10V one from Lotus and the the industry standard TO220 package.

I am removing my mistakes as fast as I can.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Return to Part Cross-Reference