Crankshaft Pulley Bolt

Please put all your known Elan Cross-Refenced parts here--click "start new topic" and title it with the part type, then add all known info to the post.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Crankshaft Pulley Bolt

Postby mattdovey » Tue 30.06.2020, 16:29

Afternoon All,
Does anybody have an alternative part number for A100E6241S crankshaft pulley bolt. I've got one on back order but there isn't a guarantee its going to get to me any time soon. I want to change the timing belt and if the rest of the car is to go by I will probably need a new bolt.
mattdovey

Re: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 30.06.2020, 16:50

As a last resort, I have 3 new bolts and a few used bolts that are in good condition.

Postage and travel time from the US to the UK is horrible now, so try SJs, Matty or SW Lotus to maybe get a better solution.

Good luck!
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Lotus Manuals
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Saltire » Tue 30.06.2020, 18:28

I bought one from SJs a few weeks ago which has turned out to be made of cheese. Sheared at about 1/3 prescribed torque.
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2 no 512, BRG/magnolia, last of 4 UK S2 to this spec - SORN
2019 VW Golf R - “The Flying Tomato”
2020 Volvo XC40 T4 AWD
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 30.06.2020, 18:33

Mine are from Lotus many moons ago.

Anything else you might need to justify a shipment from the US?
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Lotus Manuals
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Simon_P » Tue 30.06.2020, 18:47

It'll come off OK, but actually getting it off might require some carefull heating and easing fluid overnight... And a decent bar to lock the pulley, and a decent breaker bar. I've tried an air impact gun but you get bored after a while.

Saltire wrote:I bought one from SJs a few weeks ago which has turned out to be made of cheese. Sheared at about 1/3 prescribed torque.
:shock: what was wrong with the old one? Not shiny enough? :twisted:
Simon_P
God

Postby dapinky » Tue 30.06.2020, 19:14

Mine came off quite easily this time (back in March)..... a decent bar to hold the pulley still, and a 480Nm air wrench (with a decent air supply to it - this is usually the most limiting factor on air wrenches)...... whipped it out!
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby mattdovey » Tue 30.06.2020, 21:14

Thanks for the reply's guys. I tried to order one from SJ Sports car a couple of months ago. They were out of stock and said they were waiting for Lotus to reopen the factory and to try again later. Placed an order a couple of weeks ago with SJ and have a date in August for delivery. Tried another stockist. As they showed as having some in stock. Turns out they didn't have any and they were waiting for Lotus also. But they told me not to hold my breath.
This is one job I'm not doing as I've got to much else on the go. So the local garage are going to do it. I would rather have new parts. Maybe its worth a try, might be ok.
mattdovey

Postby Saltire » Tue 30.06.2020, 21:24

Simon_P wrote:
Saltire wrote:I bought one from SJs a few weeks ago which has turned out to be made of cheese. Sheared at about 1/3 prescribed torque.

:shock: what was wrong with the old one? Not shiny enough? :twisted:

Not exactly, Simon :-D It’s just that I tend to replace major bolts as a matter of course during an overhaul. In fact I’ve put the old one back now and I think it will be fine.

John - thanks for the kind offer, but I’m not planning any more parts purchases just at the moment :lol:
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2 no 512, BRG/magnolia, last of 4 UK S2 to this spec - SORN
2019 VW Golf R - “The Flying Tomato”
2020 Volvo XC40 T4 AWD
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Return to Part Cross-Reference