Fuel Pressure Regulator

Please put all your known Elan Cross-Refenced parts here--click "start new topic" and title it with the part type, then add all known info to the post.

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Fuel Pressure Regulator

Postby nitroman » Thu 07.05.2009, 21:38

Is the same as the 92-96 Corvette uses. Plus, you are almost guarranteed to find a Corvette in a (USA) junkyard. The part is topside by the FI rail, just as it is on the Elan.

You can also get cool billet adjustable FPRs meant for the Corvette: http://www.hrpworld.com/googlebase.cfm? ... on=product
Strive for perfection in everything. (given time)
Take the best that exists & make it better. (given inclination)
If it doesn't exist, create it. (God did)
Ignore what I say. (good advice)
nitroman

Re: Fuel Pressure Regulator

Postby jello » Fri 28.05.2010, 17:29

I looked at the picture of this regulator, and I'm not sure it would fit below the engine hoist bracket. The Fuel Pressure Regulator for the Elan is also the same as standard part #P92 or SIP92T - but the vacuum hose nipple on P92 comes out the top of the can, where the elan regulator nipple comes out the side of the can. This is important, because with the nipple coming out of the top, the engine hoist bracket is in the way. I was able to buy a P92 and bend the vacuum nipple to make it work. Net price locally - $67.55. Found on the net ato about $55. Those vs. the $279 I was quoted from a lotus parts suppler. I think it was worth making the bend.

Phil Bates
jello
Tinkerer

Postby tweetdriver63 » Fri 28.05.2010, 18:17

Mine just got a Corvette FPR installed. I think they had to do some kind of mod to it involving the vac nipple, but it wasn't anything major.
Chris

'91 Elan SE
'04 MB C230 Sport Coupe
'08 Mercury Mariner Hybrid
'12 Evora S GP Edition (In my dreams - HA!)
tweetdriver63
God

Postby ashm » Sun 30.05.2010, 01:26

I believe there is a cheap(ish) replacement for the FPR that doesn't need any modification.

This is listed on Rockauto for the 91 Impulse RS.
It's AIRTEX Part # 5G1165.
BECK/ARNLEY Part # 158-0449 is listed for some of the same vehicles as the above, but is currently out of stock at RA.

Both parts have the vacuum nipple on the side of the "can" like the ones in the Elan. Haven't tested either of them myself though.

Adam
ashm
God

Postby superbad » Sat 24.11.2012, 16:20

Just ordered an Airtex 5G1165- unfortunately it has the nipple coming off the end, not the side.
superbad
Fanatic

Postby rmsmall » Tue 16.04.2013, 20:04

I just bought a ACDelco 217-3062 Fuel Injection Pressure Regulator on Amazon for $50.99. The picture of it is identical to the unit on my car with the nipple on the side. I'll be getting it on Thursday, April 18, 2013 and will post more only if it does not fit.

Interestingly, the same part number on Rockauto has a picture with the nipple on the top.
My daughters let me drive once in a while!
rmsmall

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 16.04.2013, 21:21

You will get the standard top nipple version. I just sent 2 of them back to Amazon. They were told they are WRONG.

I have searched everywhere and nobody is doing the side nipple version. I thought Delphi would still do the GM spec but they are repackaging the STANDARD brand.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby rmsmall » Wed 17.04.2013, 20:36

Thanks. I'll try the "bend the nipple" thing to see if I can get it to work as my regulator is leaking fuel out the vacuum hose. I'll also try to call a Chevy Dealer and see if they have old stock.
rmsmall

Postby m100sandra » Wed 17.04.2013, 22:09

nitroman wrote:
You can also get cool billet adjustable FPRs meant for the Corvette: http://www.hrpworld.com/googlebase.cfm? ... on=product

A bit lost with this "sorry" So will the Billet Aeromotive fit, It certainly looks the part :)
m100sandra
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 17.04.2013, 22:42

Two answers:

No - not if you want to put the engine lift plate back into place. Mine is off right now and I don't remember if it does anything else.

Yes but the engine lifting plate will need to be removed or modified. The area where you adjust the pressure is right in the middle of the plate.

RMS: if you don't mind bending the nipple, get the part from another company without having to pay a huge mark-up: eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0558987251

Search for PR92, PR92T or 17107010 . There are a lot of other numbers that look the same but don't cross reference to the Impulse
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby rmsmall » Wed 17.04.2013, 23:59

Napa has an exact replacement in an adjustable based on the picture (for what that is worth). http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=CRB219720_0306213138

The part is CRB 219720 at napaonline.com in case this link does not work.

I was quoted around $91 plus shipping in my local Napa store but the online price is coming up $112.

I'm going to see what how the replacement with the straight nipple fits when I get it in. Looks like it is only a slight bend down to make it fit but the vacuum tube will have to be rerouted. I'll post pictures of what I do.
rmsmall

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 18.04.2013, 01:50

That looks good but when I called the local NAPA warehouse, they said all they had was the later style. They never changed their picture. You might have found the last of the old stock!

I was in the middle of replacing my injectors, pressure regulator and fuel pump over the last few weeks and looked at installing the later style pressure regulator. The straight nipple just hits the engine lifting plate so I thought I would try to bend the nipple to clear it. No luck. It doesn't want to bend without flexing the housing at the joint. I put the nipple back to it's proper angle and measured the lifting plate and drilled a 3/8" (9mm) hole for the hose to pass through. I figured that if I need to pull the engine and really wanted to use the lifting plate I could put a 3/8 (9mm) bolt and nut and two washers in the hole to give it strength and it should work fine.

Here are a few pictures:

This is the later style regulator in place.

This is the regulator behind the lift plate.

This is the regulator hooked up. There is enough room behind the lift plate to use the hose clamp.
The hose doesn't touch anywhere.

Now, I just need to clean up the lift plate, radius the hole on both sides and give it a coat of paint.

Next task is to finish replacing the fuel pump and filter.

Maybe it will run again...
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Thu 18.04.2013, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby dapinky » Thu 18.04.2013, 09:40

I've never really looked at the options on this one (because i had a new spare regulator which i fitted when i changed the engine)....

....but it seems an awful lot of messing about (looks very neat, though!)....

...as the engine doesn't get lifted in and out every other weekend, isn't it easier just to remove (and store) the engine lift eye :smt102
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 18.04.2013, 12:42

I considered that, but it didn't look right...
Actually not much work once I decided to drill the hole. I spent more time trying to bend the nipple which didn't want to be bent.
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby m100sandra » Sun 21.04.2013, 07:36

http://www.hrpworld.com/googlebase.cfm? ... on=product

Which is the correct one :? (noticed theres 2 part No's) i really fancy putting one of these on, just for the look of it :) 8)
Thanks
Sandra
m100sandra
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 21.04.2013, 14:10

Neither. If you want to leave the engine as assembled, neither will fit as they are too long to fit between the fuel rail and the engine hanger (lift point).
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby m100sandra » Mon 22.04.2013, 07:07

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Neither. If you want to leave the engine as assembled, neither will fit as they are too long to fit between the fuel rail and the engine hanger (lift point).

without the lifting eye :?:
m100sandra
Fanatic

Postby rmsmall » Sun 26.05.2013, 04:14

Nice job with the drill through the bracket, Brit-Car-Nut. Definitely the way to go. The hole is small so you shouldn't have a problem using the bracket to remove the engine as is.

Being lazy, uncoordinated (it would never line up for me) and lacking a drill press, I just did the "bend the nipple" and it is a gentle enough bend that there was little chance of pinching off the vacuum. I have pictures and will try to put them up later. If you are worried about the bend, put a paper clip (or flexible wire) in the nipple to keep it from collapsing before you bend. Not too far as you don't want to risk puncturing the diaphragm. Remove when done bending. I had to test fit a couple of times before I got it bent right.

Works but not so elegant.

Go Forty-Niners!
rmsmall

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 26.05.2013, 05:58

Thanks. I will get around to measuring the location or making a 1:1 image so people can use it as a template.

I tried to bend the nipple and the FPR I used (airtex I think) had a very hard vacuum nipple and I feared I would break it at the body before it would bend.

Glad you got yours to bend. I hope your car behaves better.
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby HJ2 » Sun 26.05.2013, 06:52

Interesting reading this.

If i may ask: Does the straight nipple-type regulator fit, without removing the hoist bracket, whilst in situ but without the vacuum hose attached?
Or in other words: When i remove the hoist braket to fit the regulator, will it fit back on to lift the engine when i just pull the hose prior to fitting? Or is the nipple just to long. (oh, hang on... John's excellent photography tells it all :( )

Also: Would it be possible cut the nipple (almost) and then solder a custom made 90 deg. nipple on? Since it is vacuum only, perhaps a good 2 component glue is good enough? :roll: Best of both worlds!
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Next

Return to Part Cross-Reference