Hazard Warning Switch (MOT failure)

Please put all your known Elan Cross-Refenced parts here--click "start new topic" and title it with the part type, then add all known info to the post.

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Hazard Warning Switch (MOT failure)

Postby Readit » Fri 04.08.2017, 11:26

I suspect many Elan owners are now experiencing difficulty in getting their hazard warning switch to pass an MOT. After track rod ends this is probably the most likely item to go tits up just before the all important test, especially if the car has been standing. (assuming you keep the rusty wishbones at bay)

I have refurbished 3 of these and the secret seems to be in the 4 prong copper combs making correct contact without touching when they shouldn't. Many people seem to go straight in with a soldering iron and replace the diodes/LEDs but in my experience when you get the switch right all these miraculously start working again. A sign of a poor contacting switch is one winker only working when the hazard is on and only flashing at the winker not the hazard.

Cleaning and/or solder coating the tips of the copper combs can help contact, but as I said before the secret is in the alignment, some prong ends contact both in and out but the prong itself should not. The copper prongs are quite fragile so do not bend too much, (slightly concave to the outside is best) once a prong is broken the switch is kaput. Other things to watch are the two springs which zoom out when you GENTLY prize off the main cover (not switch front cover) There is also the "piece de resistance" a minute plastic prong with nipples at each end, this controls on/off in/out action and is also crucial and extremely fiddly. Clean, straighten gently and a small amount of vaseline on re-fitting seems to work. Holding everything in the right place while you push the two halves and three parts of the switch back together is an art. Do not apply pressure until all prongs are in the right place otherwise a bent back prong is the end (see above)

I was told replacement switch numbers were on wiki LEC and finally found them under "SWITCHCRAFT".
However they are following, if you can find switches in stock anywhere:

Genuine Lotus (Hen's teeth) B100M6019F (£128 at the breakers)

GM Part No GM 90213284 but these have a white triangle not red (for the purists, MOT testers not included)

These GM Part Nos are basically the same switch but with a modified front, it requires transferring your original Lotus front push button GM90213285 GM90316822 OPEL NO 1241649 (some say they may be available in Germany? - getting rare)
Last edited by Readit on Sun 06.08.2017, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
All the best plans are flexible, Lotus use Sicaflex.
Readit
Enthusiast

Re: Hazard Warning Switch (MOT failure)

Postby clemo » Fri 04.08.2017, 12:36

2'nded .
It is just usually a bad connection . As i also found last week prior the MOT .
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Location: TORQUAY .WESTSIDE well south west side in the southern bit.

Postby Readit » Fri 04.08.2017, 12:51

Very true. Bad connections happen both inside and outside the switch so if cleaning outside contacts and connectors works for you, then great.

Elan health warning: only take the switch apart when all else fails to cure the problem.
Readit
Enthusiast

Postby Rambo » Fri 04.08.2017, 14:13

Rear brakes and emissions yes, but I've never ever had any problems with hazard switches failing MOT's. That's in 14 years and with 3 different SE's

Anyone else had this problem ?
Rambo
MacAffro

Postby dapinky » Fri 04.08.2017, 14:31

Rambo wrote:Rear brakes and emissions yes, but I've never ever had any problems with hazard switches failing MOT's. That's in 14 years and with 3 different SE's

Anyone else had this problem ?

I've had all 3 at various times, before addressing the issues causing them.

Hazard swith on the red car, first MOT after getting it.... borrowed one from Paul, and then replaced it with mine, which miraculosly started working.

Emmissions sorted by going closed loop.

Rear brakes just require cleaning and greasing regularly (and changing the prop valves).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Postby Readit » Fri 04.08.2017, 15:45

This is the internal wiring diagram of a hazard warning switch it seems to connect almost every circuit on the car. I once took mine off for a refurb and when I refixed it, one winker worked when it was ON but the ignition lit up when it was OFF. Needless to say it needed another try. Unfortunately, you need to remove it, mend it then put it back to test so every time it is, start from scratch, until you get lucky or more experienced at the problems.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Readit
Enthusiast

Return to Part Cross-Reference