Headlamps

Please put all your known Elan Cross-Refenced parts here--click "start new topic" and title it with the part type, then add all known info to the post.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, clemo, nitroman, Specky, GeoffSmith, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT

Postby nitroman » Sun 24.02.2008, 18:05

paulwatkins wrote:Sorry Neil, following advice from Dave (ooop norf) and Dave (flashing blue light) I've removed all modifications!

Just having 4-lows and 4-highs is not illegal in the USA. Are you saying the NUMBER of lights is regulated in the UK?
nitroman

Postby GeoffSmith » Mon 25.02.2008, 00:22

nitroman wrote:
paulwatkins wrote:Sorry Neil, following advice from Dave (ooop norf) and Dave (flashing blue light) I've removed all modifications!

Just having 4-lows and 4-highs is not illegal in the USA. Are you saying the NUMBER of lights is regulated in the UK?

Yes!
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

headlights

Postby bobbrown » Wed 05.03.2008, 15:07

I thought that the outer lamps were dipped so on all the time you have your headlamps on and the inners are main beam so you get a better light spread on main beam as you have both on,
Try it on a "normal" car using the head lamp flash
I fitted both inner and outer with Cibie's as they have plastic reflectors so no more rust there + stainless pan head hex screws

I did find that removal was a little tricky due to rusted screws but I drilled the heads off and where they were rested in to the metal bracked a little heat sorted that issue out!

Bob
bobbrown
God

Postby whippit » Sat 15.03.2008, 01:01

Another option is to buy some cheap e30 bmw lights , smash the hella lense and use the reflector, you can then bond your cibie or lucas lense to the new reflector to keep the orig look, a bit of a cut and shut job h1 to h4 just sikaflex the mount,
you have to cut the lugs on the bm reflector down to match the lotus retention ring, but once done you cannot see the diff old to new
whippit
Fanatic

Headlamps in France

Postby Mcclure » Tue 15.07.2008, 00:52

Hi,

I am buying a 1991 Elan SE and have a problem related to this thread.
The car has the yellow headlamp lenses the French adopted in 1936 to more easily identify invading Huns. Lot of good...

Totally inadequate for modern driving, I have got to replace them for safety's sake - as well as for simple economic reasons : the Lotus dealer in Paris wants over €600 for the four replacement units! He's still awaiting my call.

As this thread has given me a lot of information, thank you very much to begin with.

Then, being a Yank, two basic answers please :

I do not understand the term "Durite" (which in France refers a brand of stout radiator hose) : is this the collar that holds the lamp in place or the adjustable lamp reflector and lens housing unit itself ?

Second, finding the proper initial supplier and a couple of reference numbers could help get me looking in the right direction, even though the complete number will be for RHD lenses, where mine is a LHD.

Some helpful French soul mentioned Cibié (clearly correct) and another Hella (which I doubt). I'll give Lucas a ring tomorrow.

Finally, the twin head/dip solution makes me think of another solution, possibly French-legal (apparently so at least) of using a Head/dip and a Head, with just the 2 dips, and then the four heads coming on together (possibly with the Dip included), rather than just the Head and Dip together as at the moment. I'll look into regulations, theproper wire sections and fuses... in roughly that order

So many thanks for the tips,

Bert McCLURE
Mcclure

Postby bobbrown » Tue 15.07.2008, 01:15

try this site as they list Cibie's which are bar far the best

http://www.cars-gb.com/cibieclassic.htm

Bob
bobbrown
God

SE headlamp replacement

Postby Mcclure » Tue 15.07.2008, 09:20

Hi Bob thanks for the link. I've sent them an EM this morning.

Cheers,

Bert
Mcclure

Re: SE headlamp replacement

Postby ploor » Tue 15.07.2008, 22:21

Bert, since driving my RHD S2 on the Continent, I have replaced the outer headlights with Hella nr: 1B3 114 179-001.
Paul
ploor
Welcome to LEC - please introduce yourself

Postby Gazza » Wed 16.07.2008, 16:16

Ploor

You have a private message.

Gazza
S2 Midnight Blue #660
Hayward & Scott 2.5" exhaust.
Red AP brakes & Nitron adjustable suspension.
SOLD

TVR Tamora in Montreal Blue
Gazza
God

Re: Headlamps in France

Postby tigerdog » Wed 16.07.2008, 17:45

Mcclure wrote:Some helpful French soul mentioned Cibié (clearly correct) and another Hella (which I doubt).

I can heartily recommend the Cibie "CSR" lamps. I've used Hellas on other cars I've owned, but the CSRs put out the most useable light pattern I've encountered in an aftermarket headlamp. I installed four on my US-spec Elan. Writeup of the change process (in Yankee English) and pictures are in this thread.
tigerdog
God

Cibié CSR and Europal

Postby Mcclure » Wed 16.07.2008, 18:45

Ploor and Tigerdog,

Thanks for the help on Hella and Cibié.

Hella is no problem. But, as I live in France, I've been goooogling Cibié-CSR & CS Cibié with no luck.

Is this a stateside sealed beam or a European fixture and bulb solution? I don't know if sealed beams are against the law here as long as you have a set of spares in the trunk - maybe not with all the Euro-regs.

Tiger, the thread you sent me to mentioned EuroPal light fixtures with etched glass lenses that might be Euro-complicent. But I can't find that either. No bother, I've PM'd the poster.

Thanks alot for your trouble.

Cheers
Mcclure

Postby tigerdog » Wed 16.07.2008, 20:29

Definitely not sealed beam - they use H1 bulbs. According to the source from whom I purchased them, the CSRs are E-code compliant lamps. This seems to be borne out by the circled "E2" molded into the lens. Part numbers are 0488045 (low/dipped beam) and 0488047 (high/main beam). You might have luck in France looking up Valeo, Cibie's parent company.
tigerdog
God

Cibié references

Postby Mcclure » Wed 16.07.2008, 21:46

Clébar (slang for dawg)

Thanks for the vocabulary help, I've been in France for so long, and so many English words have Old French (latin) roots... I'll pay more attention la prochaine fois.

Anyway, thanks for the references. I have heard of a Cibié light that creeps slightly to the right (CSR), must be that one under a different name. And the photos will also be a good guide.

Valéo designs and builds virtually everything that sits on, plugs into or is stuck on to a lot of European cars and trucks; their stores here will order plain lamps if they're forced to. They use Cibié mainly to push "tuning" products - Blue light gizmos, in-grill Christmas lights, you name it.

"Tuning" is French for soft-customizing when you come from Indianapolis. Haven't seen anything chopped and channeled since I'v been here. One-offs and mini-series are another matter. Just bought one.

Thanks, really, this will make tossing my yellows a whole lot easier.

Take care

Bert
Mcclure

Postby tigerdog » Wed 16.07.2008, 22:19

Good luck, Bert. Make sure to post some pix in the Photo Gallery once the lamps are changed. I'm thinking the Eiffel Tower would make a suitable backdrop. :wink:
tigerdog
God

Re:

Postby uk08462 » Sat 20.02.2010, 17:04

GeoffSmith wrote:
ab2cv wrote:as LUCAS have now ceased to exist as a company - now known as LSUK

Not strictly true - Lucas Electrical still exist. I believe that LSUK are the old Lucas shops which now sell more than just Lucas parts.

For those of you looking for LSUK, I am afraid they are no longer with us.

http://motortorque.askaprice.com/dealer ... s-lsuk.asp
S2 #048 BRG
uk08462
Enthusiast

Re: Headlamps

Postby sheprob » Tue 23.08.2011, 18:32

I have contacted Duralite directly on:

Gordon Equipments Limited, Durite Works, Valley Road, Dovercourt, Essex, CO12 4RX.
Tel: +44 (0)1255 555200,
Fax: +44 (0)1255 555222,
E-mail: sales@durite.co.uk,
Web: http://www.durite.co.uk

I emailed them, and they were very helpful in locating my closest Durite distributor, which for me was:

S. E. D. Limited,
Westfield Road,
Slyfield Industrial Estate,
Guildford,
Surrey,
GU1 1RR Tel 01483 538038 http://www.autoelectricalpartsuk.co.uk

I'm sure if you asked the same question, they would find the distributor closest to you.
The cost per head light is £11.71 + VAT = £14.06
The light is a perfect replacement for my old Lucas head light. NO CUTTING OR MODIFYING!! The only change required is that the Duralite takes an H1 buld opposed to the H4 in the old Lucas unit. Therefore, I intend to extract the old spade connectors from the existing holder and separate them for the new connectors.
sheprob

Postby stevieg8571 » Fri 14.06.2013, 16:07

My driver's main/full beam lamp blew whilst doing my pre MOT checks this morning...after the window debacle!

I rang Durite directly to find my local stockists. They were very helpful and gave me 3 options.

There's now 2 main beam 042276's on their way to the Auto-elctrics shop for £9.92 each + VAT 8)
stevieg8571
Fanatic

Postby stevieg8571 » Sat 15.06.2013, 18:36

Quick question. .do these Durite lamps arrive with the spring clamp for the bulb and the rubber grommet?
stevieg8571
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Part Cross-Reference