Headlamps

Please put all your known Elan Cross-Refenced parts here--click "start new topic" and title it with the part type, then add all known info to the post.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Postby dapinky » Thu 14.02.2008, 23:05

Bloody typical!

No wories, Paul. I didn't know i wanted any til yesterday. I dismantled the light pods for a bit of re-painting of the brackets & noticed the lights rusting :roll:

I can't be ar$ed to make a special trip up to Feeder Road so will probably go for the postal option. By the time you factor in the petrol costs, it all works out the same sort of price anyway.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby ab2cv » Fri 15.02.2008, 01:22

Part number for the Durite dipped beam units is 042275. Price is similar to the main beams but no idea how good the fit would be though.

Alan
Medina S2 #043
ab2cv
Fanatic

Postby Sy V » Fri 15.02.2008, 12:18

X

:D

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, sounds caress my ears but not a word I heard could I relay, the story was quite clear - Robert Plant

In Respectful Memory - 21st March 1959 - 14th February 2016
Sy V
LEC Godfather

Postby paulwatkins » Fri 15.02.2008, 17:38

I fitted 4 of the Durite main-beam headlight units (042276) complete with H4 bulbs (Lucas LLB472 @ £1.82 ea +vat). Also changed all the screws for stainless steel.

With a bit of extra cabling, a 4way fusebox and some jiggery-pokery under the binacle cover, I now have 4 dipped beams, and 4 main beams! :lol:

I've just returned from having the alignment adjustments done at the local garage. It took him all of 5mins to do.
paulwatkins
God

Postby Russc » Sat 16.02.2008, 13:01

Looking good, i want to do this soon although i won`t be going down the 4 main beams as there is loads of police around here at night :(
Russc
Fanatic

Postby ab2cv » Sat 16.02.2008, 14:16

paulwatkins wrote:I fitted 4 of the Durite main-beam headlight units (042276) complete with H4 bulbs (Lucas LLB472 @ £1.82 ea +vat). Also changed all the screws for stainless steel.

With a bit of extra cabling, a 4way fusebox and some jiggery-pokery under the binacle cover, I now have 4 dipped beams, and 4 main beams! :lol:

I've just returned from having the alignment adjustments done at the local garage. It took him all of 5mins to do.

Looks great! Any more details on the extra wiring required?

Alan
Medina S2 #043
ab2cv
Fanatic

Postby paulwatkins » Sat 16.02.2008, 19:02

After careful thought, I've removed the description of my install coz I dont want anyone blaming me if their car goes up in flames due to dodgy wiring :lol:

If you're not electrically savvy, get an auto-electrician to do the conversion for you.

It's a piece of cake if you know how, but could be disasterous if you dont! :car on fire emoticon:
paulwatkins
God

Postby dapinky » Wed 20.02.2008, 20:21

Well,

Got my new Durites fitted without any major drama - The plastic rings needed a bit of fettling (as documented elsewhere), then the fun began!

The metal rings which clamp the light unit to the plastic ring were a tad rusty.

1 was fine, the other three fell apart into iron (oxide) filings :(

Luckilly, I have ignored all calls from Angie in the past when she said "Why are you keeping all that rubbish".

The chrome trim rings off a Dolly Sprint fit with a bit of adjustment to the mounting points, and held on with M4 bolts - no sweat - all back together and working.

Just need to get them aimed correctly now (job for the weekend!) - should be a piece of p*** now all the screws and bolts have been replaced with Stainless ones!

Just for info - the light units cost £26.41 inc VAT for the pair from a local supplier - 2 days to get them in.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby GeoffSmith » Wed 20.02.2008, 20:25

dapinky wrote:should be a piece of p*** now all the screws and bolts have been replaced with Stainless ones!

Care to share? :lol:
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby DeeAitch » Wed 20.02.2008, 20:58

24 off M4 x 10 Button heads & washers.
12 off 50mm long self tappers (although I think 55mm would be better) 8)

& no, I did not go for bling :roll:
DeeAitch
God

Postby dapinky » Wed 20.02.2008, 23:38

Enright13 was handing the short ones out at Donny last year - didn't you grab some then???

As he has now disapeared from the forum, perhaps his twin bother , Neil, (Enright - without the 13) would be worth a shout :wink:
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby Beats » Fri 22.02.2008, 17:07

Just fitted my Durite main beam unit, all was fine but had to drill out one of the pod mounting bolts (rusted).

Are the plastic rings different between dipped and main beam units? One is white and one is black. - I didn't need to remove any lugs when using a dipped beam plastic ring with the Durite main beam lamp. If anything, it could do with a little packing between the ring and lamp to get a better 'clamp'.

Beats
Beats
Tinkerer

Postby DeeAitch » Fri 22.02.2008, 20:00

Beats wrote:Are the plastic rings different between dipped and main beam units? One is white and one is black.

Yes.
The dipped one is designed to take the Cibie units as the 3 location lugs are in a different orientation. As you say they do fit the new Mains if you have some spare.
I also found them to be a little loose - maybe the lens is thicker on the Cibies?
DeeAitch
God

Postby dapinky » Fri 22.02.2008, 20:18

A bead of silicone round the lip - leave it to dry before re-assembly - sorts out the loose fit.

(Or use Triumph / mini metal rings)
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby nitroman » Sun 24.02.2008, 05:17

paulwatkins wrote:After careful thought, I've removed the description of my install coz I dont want anyone blaming me if their car goes up in flames due to dodgy wiring :lol:

If you're not electrically savvy, get an auto-electrician to do the conversion for you.

It's a piece of cake if you know how, but could be disasterous if you dont! :car on fire emoticon:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Sear ... u=ML491456
or
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Sear ... u=ml811821
sample instructions http://www.painlessperformance.com/Manu ... uction.pdf
Paul, why not use this kit to have all 4 lights be both high/lows? I know it won't have the advantage on HI of having 4 dedicated HI bulbs on (the HI would still work the same as stock), but on LOW-setting you'll have all 4 beams on, you just have to convert the normal HI-only lamps to a 65/55 lamp, so all 4-lamps on dip-beam will still be 55w/dip-illumination-pattern.

This kit is really meant to keep the LOWS on when you go to HIGH-beam. Since the Elan already does that just wiring it so the relay is triggered when the LOWS are on (instead of the HIGHS as the kit was intended), then follow their diagramn but route the 'main juice' wires to the now-newly-existing low-side-of-the-high-lamps will accomplish having 4-dedicated low beams on! The LOW is where the Elan truly sucks, after all.
nitroman

Postby Enright » Sun 24.02.2008, 11:31

dapinky wrote:Enright13 was handing the short ones out at Donny last year - didn't you grab some then???

As he has now disapeared from the forum, perhaps his twin bother , Neil, (Enright - without the 13) would be worth a shout :wink:

Twin "bother"? Thanks! :lol:

I had promised RussC some of these in the post a while back but I can't find the box. :oops:

Must be lurking in the LEC stuff that I have dotted around the house, so I'm sure it will turn up in time for Donington this year.
Striking fear into the hearts of duplicate posts everywhere...! :P

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
Enright
Modificator

Postby Enright » Sun 24.02.2008, 11:44

paulwatkins wrote:I fitted 4 of the Durite main-beam headlight units (042276) complete with H4 bulbs (Lucas LLB472 @ £1.82 ea +vat). Also changed all the screws for stainless steel.

I'm going to have to take a look at that at Donington if you don't mind.
Looks good.
Striking fear into the hearts of duplicate posts everywhere...! :P

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
Enright
Modificator

Postby paulwatkins » Sun 24.02.2008, 11:55

Enright wrote:

I'm going to have to take a look at that at Donington if you don't mind.
Looks good.

Sorry Neil, following advice from Dave (ooop norf) and Dave (flashing blue light) I've removed all modifications!
paulwatkins
God

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 24.02.2008, 12:19

paulwatkins wrote:Sorry Neil, following advice from Dave (ooop norf) and Dave (flashing blue light) I've removed all modifications!

Yeah, right! :twisted:
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby dapinky » Sun 24.02.2008, 12:30

Don't blame me - I was taking the pi$$ :oops:

A couple of thoughts - was it not like that when it passed the MOT :wink: :wink: :wink: (not your problem).

If i get stopped and fined - I'll let you all know :lol:

Neil - sorry - the missing 'R' was a genuine typo - but if the cap fits..... :-)
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Part Cross-Reference