Replacement Shift Cable Kit - Similar to Bob B.

Drivetrain problems

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Re: Replacement Shift Cable Kit - Similar to Bob B.

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 12.08.2018, 22:00

JusNoGood wrote:Sorry JC I think I'm confused, easily done :lol:

You said...

"A short-shift kit designed for SE cables will not work correctly with my cable kit since I use spherical bearing attachments while the SE cables us a simple bushing. "

"Honestly, it would be best to get the heavy duty, spherical ended cables and the matching short shift kit,"

Both these lead me to believe you were recommending I update some other cables in addition to the short shift. So I thought you meant the plastic housing and the associated cable I photoed earlier..

Basically, I was suggesting that you buy the shift cable kit that comes WITH the matching short-shift kit. It is designed to completely replace the original cables as well as modify the gearbox shifter to improve the shifting experience.

Although the design is basically the same between the different versions of short-shift kits, The one that comes with my upgraded cables is correctly designed to be integrated correctly to get the best feel and least issues.

I am sorry if my use of the AND in the earlier reply was confusing.

If you have an 01 phone number (land line), you could email it to me and I can call you for free so I can directly answer any questions you have.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby JusNoGood » Sun 12.08.2018, 22:23

Got it :oops:

I’ll come back once I’ve recovered from Canada. Ill look through the installation instructions again and get in touch to have a quick chat.

Thanks again.
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 12.08.2018, 22:33

Where did you get installation instructions for the cable kit? I don't make that public since another company was using my guide to help their buyers. If you mean the Short-Shift kit instructions, those for Dave's kit are out there but I don't make public my instructions because that would confuse everyone.

I will email you the link to the current version of MY installation guides so you can see the steps.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 15.08.2018, 13:44

Justin:

I spoke with my friend last night and he does still have a new, "in the bag" DaveH short-shift kit available.
I will be happy to send him your email address and you and he can discuss a fair price.

I know you are in the process of visiting Canada, so no worries and no angst getting things sorted, just trying to remember what I have offered over the last few months.

I hope Canada's west coast is still as pleasant as when the wife and I took several Alaska cruises from Vancouver.

While in Canada, you are welcome to call if that helps: 704-395-2949

John C

JusNoGood wrote:Hi JC

I hope all the medical procedures are going well.

To answer one of your questions. I've not actually come across a car with a short shift fitted yet!

I really want to get one of your short shift kits. Just a little bad timing at the moment... I've got building work going on at my house and garage and I've spent a small fortune on the M100 already....oh yes and I'm relocating my daughter to Vancouver (Simon Fraser University)...

So I'm wondering whether I could justify buying one by me saving money getting it shipped to Canada. It looks like I'd pay 5% tax instead of 10% plus other bits and bobs. Do you have any experience of sending stuff to Canada JC? I'm wondering how long it would take and whether it could get caught up by customs.

I'll be over there for three weeks so plenty of time for it to arrive.

Regards

Justin
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 01.10.2018, 01:50

Just an update and also to keep the posting near the top (or bottom depending on how you sort posts).

Right now there are 2 kits available to assemble and to ship. I can build several kits at the same time.
It just takes a day or two to build, install and adjust before shipment.

To add enough insurance to fully cover a shipment, the price of shipping goes up a bit.
In a shipping claim, the shipping company usually refunds the base shipping cost to the shipper...(me)

Price WITH Postage and $200.00 insurance is:
$595.00 + $45.00 Shipping is $640.00 for US Cables and Short-Shift Kit
$595.00 + $90.00 Shipping is $685.00 for UK/Europe Cables and Short-Shift Kit

Price WITH Postage and $625.00 insurance is:
$595.00 + $60.00 Shipping = $655.00 for US Cables and Short-Shift Kit
$595.00 + $100.00 Shipping = $695.00 for UK/Europe Cables and Short-Shift Kit

The biggest difference is that I declare the insured value on the invoice.
That also makes a huge difference in the VAT and tax bill at the receiver end.

The prices assume you will be paying using PayPal's Friends/Family option.
If not, you will need to add 5% to cover PayPal's retail fees.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Previous

Return to Transmission, and Clutch