Nearside Drive Shaft - No drive..Just spinning

Drivetrain problems

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, Nige

Nearside Drive Shaft - No drive..Just spinning

Postby roy666 » Sun 07.10.2018, 15:09

Hi Chaps - the rear wheel bearing issue that I thought I had seems to be something else. I decided to check the drive shafts so put the car up on some car ramps. Under the car I found that the engine end CV gaitor was split all the way around and lots of grease splatter all over the place. I jiggled the drive shaft and somehow seemed to have pulled it out of the engine UJ orsomething..weird. So started the engine, in neutral, and the nearside drive shaft starts spiining... I started the engine to get the off the ramps, in reverse, nothing happend with the clutch up. The the nearside drive shaft is just spinning, the off side one is still. With the engine ticking over, the shaft still spins. Whats have I done? Pulled the shaft out of the UJ or something. How do I get it back in? any ideas. Mike
roy666
Enthusiast

Re: Nearside Drive Shaft - No drive..Just spinning

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 07.10.2018, 16:19

Sounds like you somehow pulled the shaft's CV joint or splines out of the outer housing. I am assuming that you pushed the shaft into the gearbox end connection? Did it move very far?

If you had pulled it out of the gearbox end (you called it the engine end) the shaft would not be spinning since the other end would be still engaged into the wheel end components. The fact the shaft spins suggests the wheel end connection is now missing.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Sun 07.10.2018, 19:42

Have you looked on the ground for some ball bearings ? You need balls to make a CV joint work. I cannot see how the splines would become disengaged without removing the hub but if the boot is completely split you might get enough angle for the balls to come out ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant-velocity_joint#/media/File:Simple_CV_Joint_animated.gif
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby roy666 » Sun 07.10.2018, 21:53

Phil - thanks.. However, BCN was right... gearbox end CV is attahced working ok..... its the wheel hub one that has shifted. Its hub off and a look see I think.... M
roy666
Enthusiast

Postby Simon_P » Sun 07.10.2018, 23:04

Most likely snap ring (circlip) on the end of the shaft either wasn't seated or is missing.

Don't forget to drain the gearbox oil before you take the shaft out.
Simon_P
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 08.10.2018, 00:20

Wrong end of the driveshaft. It is the wheel end that has come undone. Not something I would ever have expected to be able to occur.

The "serviceable" snap rings are at the gearbox/differential end of the driveshafts.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Simon_P » Mon 08.10.2018, 00:43

Right end of the driveshaft ....the snap ring holds the end of the shaft in the inner race otherwise it would pull out.

It is not an unheard of failure mode for the shaft to come out. Some designs use "positive retention" where the shaft will not come out of the inner race unless you cut it off. Not great for serviceability, but stops the shaft coming out. You can't normally disassemble the outer joint without first removing the shaft.

The alternatives are broken shaft or broken cage, both of which are unlikely as it drove onto the ramp.
Simon_P
God

Postby roy666 » Sat 13.10.2018, 23:04

Chaps - just finishing this thread off. Sure was the wheel-end UJ that had the problem, the circlip had failed and the shaft was just about to pop out. Both UJs were in a bad way so got the car to Lotus Bits for a replacement; Mike (the Boss) offered me a choice of several 2nd hand shafts they had... all looked pretty good to me.. and at £50 quid an hour must be one of the cheapest Lotus service garages around. Sorted it in a day.. even got a courtesy car from them. Car back on the road in just over a day. not bad. Mike.
roy666
Enthusiast

Return to Transmission, and Clutch