Speedo cable

Drivetrain problems

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, GeoffSmith

Speedo cable

Postby david.bradley » Mon 21.10.2019, 12:56

Hi
I've needed to fit a new cable.
With the gearbox end disconnected, spinning the gear anticlockwise causes the speedo needle to jump, so I take it the replacement cable is OK.
When though you push back into the gearbox oil filler, the speedo doesn't register any movement when you spin a wheel, I've even tried with the engine running.
Is there a technique to getting the gear to mesh? - on both the old and new cables there was 1/4 inch of free movement on the gear, which may or may not be the cause of the difficulty.
Does a speedo register when spinning just one wheel?
Thanks
david.bradley

Re: Speedo cable

Postby Simon_P » Mon 21.10.2019, 14:17

The O ring is a tight fit and you may not be getting the gears to mesh and pushing it fully in. If this happens the gear sits on top of the drive gear and the housing won't go all the way in.
Simon_P
God

Postby muley » Mon 21.10.2019, 14:57

Stupid question, but I ask anyway. Is the car in gear when you run the engine? Not sure it makes a difference anyway?

Jim
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man"
1995 Palacio S2 no 507
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)Black MX-5 NC Red Honda Integra S
muley

Postby david.bradley » Mon 21.10.2019, 16:31

Hi
Thanks both
I had heard it is easy not to push fully home - but I think I have.
I tried not in gear, then thinking that may be the cause, I did try in gear (it's on axle stands at the moment, so had to be careful).
Only the offside (right) wheel is spinning as the left disc has rusted whilst stood. Anyone know if the drive is from the left side of the diff?, which would explain everything.
Thanks again
david.bradley

Postby Tanz » Fri 20.03.2020, 11:00

I have the suspension off on the passenger (left) and have refilled the gearbox with fresh oil. Fitted new O ring to the speedo cable but can't get it back in. Just spent 2 hours trying but no joy :evil: Is there any special method? Does the body have to line up with the flat on the retaining plate?
Phil
1991 Lotus Elan M100
1988 Lotus Excel SE
Tanz

Postby Tanz » Fri 20.03.2020, 11:30

Tanz wrote:I have the suspension off on the passenger (left) and have refilled the gearbox with fresh oil. Fitted new O ring to the speedo cable but can't get it back in. Just spent 2 hours trying but no joy :evil: Is there any special method? Does the body have to line up with the flat on the retaining plate?

OK - panic over - its in.
For anyone else doing this, from the left side wheel arch, I managed to reach the cable with both hands by pushing my hands over the gear box and pushing down using a rotating motion, managed to get it partially in. Then, partially in frustration, got a long bar, passed it through the engine bay and rested the end on the flange of the speedo drive and gave it a couple of light taps. Went straight in. Guess you have to be confident that the gears are meshing before giving it a tap.
Phil
1991 Lotus Elan M100
1988 Lotus Excel SE
Tanz

Return to Transmission, and Clutch