Drive shaft slide hammer recommendations please

Drivetrain problems

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Drive shaft slide hammer recommendations please

Postby Alan M » Sun 31.07.2022, 11:47

I’m trying to get the left drive shaft out but it is fighting me. I have had a 2 foot pry bar and heavier crow bar in there to pop it past the circling, but even hitting the bar with a lump hammer to shock it it’s refusing to co-operate. I’ve done other fwd cars and never had this much of a struggle !

So thinking of using a slide hammer with a C shaped attachment, so does anyone have a recommendation for one that fits, or even someone in S Wales who would have one I could borrow :D
Alan M

Re: Drive shaft slide hammer recommendations please

Postby Tuga2112 » Sun 31.07.2022, 21:37

ive done that job before, and yes it was challenging to remove. BUT it will come out with the technique you are using.
maybe you aren't swearing enough at it ? :bonk:
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Postby Alan M » Mon 01.08.2022, 12:15

Tuga2112 wrote:ive done that job before, and yes it was challenging to remove. BUT it will come out with the technique you are using.
maybe you aren't swearing enough at it ? :bonk:

Believe me I was giving it all the swear words :censored: :chair:
Alan M

Postby TorqueHorse » Mon 01.08.2022, 14:53

I don't know if this actually helped, or I just got lucky, but I also rotate it a bit after each whack. Assuming wheels are off at this point it should spin by hand force.
Left side, your swing and impact is more oblique because you are blocked by the transmission, right? Like Tuga, I've done it by the same kind of hardware gymnastics you describe, but others have used like a floor install pull bar.
'90 FED M100 -mid resto
Chassis Exterior FrSus RrSus Engine Trans Wheels Steering Brakes Cooling Fuel Ventilation Exhaust Interior
TorqueHorse
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Mon 01.08.2022, 15:35

I have tried all sorts of ways to do this job - sometimes they pop out easily, others they take a bit more force.

I have tried all sorts of ways, and usually revert to 2 cold chisels as a wedge on each side of the flange until they free off.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Return to Transmission, and Clutch