Sticking Gear Lever

Drivetrain problems

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Sticking Gear Lever

Postby PIT-STOP » Tue 09.08.2022, 13:07

Hi. Just after some quick assistance.
My car changes gear fine, but while the gear lever is slick and smooth forwards and backwards, side to side requires the force of both hands. I'm guessing it is just gunged up somewhere but I can't find where. Everywhere I have put oil just seems to make forwards and backwards movement easier still, so I'm guessing there is somewhere I'm not getting to. Hope someone has had the same issue and its an easy fix.
Thanks.
PIT-STOP

Re: Sticking Gear Lever

Postby HJ2 » Tue 09.08.2022, 13:26

If you unhook the cables on the selector box, you can determine if the resistance is from the cable + Lever, or from the gearbox / selector box itself.
If it is the cables, undo the gaiter and unbolt the shifter and see how things look down there. If you undo the cables there, you can determine if it is originated from the cables or the shifter assey.

My first uneducated guess is cable failure, or crimp failure on the cable end. Replace the cable with S2 or a nice set of John's cables all together.

Good luck!
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Postby PIT-STOP » Tue 09.08.2022, 13:47

Thanks. I'll give it a go. Common sense to isolate the issue I guess. Thanks again.
PIT-STOP

Postby HJ2 » Tue 09.08.2022, 14:21

PIT-STOP wrote:Thanks. I'll give it a go. Common sense to isolate the issue I guess. Thanks again.

Keep us posted.

On the SE's usually the plastic adjuster breaks down over time. Quite common!
HJ2

Postby Tuga2112 » Tue 09.08.2022, 14:38

HJ2 wrote:On the SE's usually the plastic adjuster breaks down over time. Quite common!

makes me wonder if its something that could be 3d printed ?
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Postby FunElan » Tue 09.08.2022, 17:07

My aftermarket cables are stiff like this as well. Comforting knowing that there isn't plastic to break!
FunElan
Enthusiast

Postby HJ2 » Tue 09.08.2022, 23:11

Stiff, hmmm, okay, but when they are sticky, you need to adjust them.
Self centering should be spot on with the new cables, be it Dave’s Johns, or others
HJ2

Postby PIT-STOP » Fri 02.09.2022, 07:44

OK...so I finally got time to stretch my mechanical knowledge and separate the cables from the gearbox. Gearbox is fine, and centres perfectly, which is a relief, so suggests it is a cable issue. The cables have been on a few years (about 10), but are genuine lotus. My question is, how best to lubricate them. I'm really hoping this can be done in car, and someone has advice on how to do this easily and has a great trick for this, but if not, I'd appreciate a few details on what I will need to do. Thanks
PIT-STOP

Postby M100-NC » Sat 03.09.2022, 14:59

PIT-STOP wrote:OK...so I finally got time to stretch my mechanical knowledge and separate the cables from the gearbox. Gearbox is fine, and centres perfectly, which is a relief, so suggests it is a cable issue. The cables have been on a few years (about 10), but are genuine lotus. My question is, how best to lubricate them. I'm really hoping this can be done in car, and someone has advice on how to do this easily and has a great trick for this, but if not, I'd appreciate a few details on what I will need to do. Thanks

Can you tell us which version M100 you own. Is it an SE or S2? They each used different design shift cables.
Do you know which cables you installed 10 years ago? SE? S2?

While you had the cables disconnected from the gearbox, did you try to move the shift lever?
Was it still "stiff"?

It could be that the cables are binding in their "jackets" or the shifter assembly needs to be taken apart and lubricated.

To fix either, you would need to unbolt the shifter assembly (shif-knob, console, shifter boot, cables at gearbox) and after tying a string to the cables at the gearbox end, pull the shifter assembly out of the tunnel. Once you have the pieces at hand, you can determine which part(s) are causing the "sticking" issue.

I suggested attaching a string so when you go to reinstall the shifter and cables so the string will help you get them back through the tunnel.

I hope you find the solution - AND - tell us what you find.

JC
I am in the US and have a LARGE collection of M100 parts available for sale, both new and used.
M100-NC

Postby PIT-STOP » Mon 05.09.2022, 17:24

Thanks for your patience. I think they are standard SE cables.... but that is from memory.
I have checked the gear lever end and all seems free and well oiled, so I think it is one cable that is the issue. Is it worth trying to lube it, or shall I just swap for a new improved, and hold the old one as emergency repair?
PS How big a job is a cable swap?
PIT-STOP

Postby M100-NC » Mon 05.09.2022, 19:40

PIT-STOP wrote:Thanks for your patience. I think they are standard SE cables.... but that is from memory.
I have checked the gear lever end and all seems free and well oiled, so I think it is one cable that is the issue. Is it worth trying to lube it, or shall I just swap for a new improved, and hold the old one as emergency repair?
PS How big a job is a cable swap?

You basically need to buy or swap or whatever you need to do to get the new cables for replacement.

You will spend more time with getting to the cables and shifter than you will probably expect, but it is more because the interior needs to be somewhat disassembled.

Remove the original cables by disconnecting them from the gearbox levers and then removing the tunnel top trim so you can remove the shifter which will bring the original cables along with it. You might want to attach a string to a cable to use to help getting the "new" cables back through the tunnel.

You now remove the old cables from the shifter and install the new cables to the shifter.

Slide the new cables (after they are attached to the shifter) back through the tunnel (the string might help).

Route them around to the gearbox and attach them to the shift levers.

It takes a lot more time to remove and reinstall the trim and upholstery than it does to put the cables back in the car.

Depending onn which cables you choose to install, you might have to adjust the cable lengths, but the cables supplier will probably include some installation information.

S2, SJ, AB and similar cables will need to be adjusted at the gearbox abutment bracket, but that isn't too hard to do, just takes a bit of time to center up the shift lever to you liking.

"My" cables arrive preadjusted having been test fitted into my test car before shipment. You can move the lever around a bit by adjusting the outer cables at the gearbox abutment, but I try to pre-adjust my cables so they will "feel good" and shift as soon as you install them.

The M100 service manual has the adjustment process covered. You can download the manuale from Dave Pink's manuals page.

My cables are slightly different (heavier duty cables and hardware) so I email a link to web based install guide that is more specific to my cables.

I hope that helps a bit.

Cheers,

John C (M100-NC)
I am in the US and have a LARGE collection of M100 parts available for sale, both new and used.
M100-NC

Postby PIT-STOP » Mon 05.09.2022, 23:03

Thanks. That is very helpful for sure. I will get myself set up and have a go at it shortly (I race motorbikes so am busy for the next few weekends), but it's on my 'to do' list now, just as soon as race season is over.
Thanks again.
PIT-STOP

Postby M100-NC » Tue 06.09.2022, 06:08

PIT-STOP wrote:Thanks. That is very helpful for sure. I will get myself set up and have a go at it shortly (I race motorbikes so am busy for the next few weekends), but it's on my 'to do' list now, just as soon as race season is over.
Thanks again.

Works for me,
You're Welcome!
M100-NC

Return to Transmission, and Clutch