Driveshaft replacement

Drivetrain problems

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: driveshaft replacment

Postby GeoffSmith » Wed 25.03.2009, 20:10

bobbrown wrote:An alternative is to clout the part that carries the taper with a hammer, better if you can place another hammer the other side the shock is usually enough to release the shaft from the taper.

:agree: That's how I split mine. Get yourself a copper and hide mallet and you can give things a really good twatting without the worry of too much damage.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby dapinky » Wed 25.03.2009, 22:28

And if you can put a bit of pressure on the joint as well, it helps to shock it free - a scissor jack under the threaded part (with a piece of wood to avoid damage to the thread) with just enough weight on the joint to assist it to 'spring' apart a few millimeters when it releases its grip on the taper.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby cliff » Sun 13.01.2013, 20:48

To resurrect another old thread, I am missing the metal cover from the inboard side of the RH drive shaft.

Borrowing Specky's pic:

Circlip one.jpg

Compared to my drive shaft:

P1130292.jpg

How necessary is this bit of metal given that the jack shaft has a sealed bearing? It is not shown in the IPC as a separate part, does anyone have one available from an old shaft?

I have a new jack shaft ready to fit but would rather wait if it is likely to get damaged due to the missing cover.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo
03 MG TF 135 Sprint (Partner's)
15 Renault Megane Coupe

If you can't be a good example, then you might as well be a terrible warning
cliff
God

Postby RichardK » Sat 19.07.2014, 10:44

Specky, Dave,

What does the step:

...Remove coil over...

Involve....

Cheers

Richard
CAPETOWN - RED 92 SE: V5 and LGM Turbo Installed
NEW ORLEANS - YELLOW 91 FED. Stock.
RichardK
Fanatic

Postby Specky » Sat 19.07.2014, 19:31

Remove the spring and damper assembly

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
Specky

Postby Enright » Sat 19.07.2014, 21:54

I've done this job a couple of times recently, and I agree with the following:
Specky wrote:Simple to remove,
jack up
wheel off
wheel centre out
wheel on
lower car
undo/crack hub nut
jack up

However I follow a different path from here:
Specky wrote:undo jack shaft bolts on gearbox
remove coil over
remove raft assy complete with wishbones and hub, leave caliper connected
slide out drive shaft assy
split shaft on work bench
TTFN

I undo the nut securing the anti-roll bar
Remove the bolt that goes through the bottom of the spring/damper fork
Remove the nut on the bottom ball joint and split the taper
Swing the hub out of the way (pushing the CV joint through it)
Push the lower wishbone down so that the driveshaft can come out from between the fork
Knock or lever out the driveshaft from the inside to release it from the circlip
Pull it out
Striking fear into the hearts of duplicate posts everywhere...! :P

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
Enright
Modificator

Postby RichardK » Sat 19.07.2014, 22:42

Many thanks Neil, very much appreciate the detail.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers
Rich
RichardK
Fanatic

Postby RichardK » Tue 29.07.2014, 00:49

Shafts now at the refurbishers......some of those bolts were tight......
RichardK
Fanatic

Pulling out drive shaft...

Postby Danevansgolf » Mon 29.09.2014, 16:05

Can I just pull out the drivers side drive shaft. Obviously after dismantling the wheel ends first.. Is there anything else what I should look out for??
The inner boot joints have split and need replacing, so is it just a case of pulling out the shaft and fixing a new boot to it?
Any advise is much appreciated. Thanks.
Danevansgolf
Enthusiast

Re: Pulling out drive shaft...

Postby HJ2 » Mon 29.09.2014, 17:38

About the shafts: You can wedge or tap it out, it is held in place by a snap ring.
Carefull though, some of the transmission oil will come out the hole you just created ...
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Postby dapinky » Mon 29.09.2014, 18:23

I changed my boots without upsetting the inner bits at all....

... if you undo the metal rings which secure the inner boot (large end) - (but they may be held in with cable ties or lock wire) - the outer bit of the CV joint will remain in place on the inner shaft, and the inner bit (3 - pronged 'spider') will slide out of the joint attached to the outer shaft. (or it may be the other way round - but it doesn't matter - it still works)

You can lift the outer shaft away and onto the workbench where it is straightforward to swap the boots!

# obviously you will need to undo the hub retaining nut first - which will need a new part on assembly #

If you haven't already bought your boots, I would heartily recommend these guys - I iknow the listing is for an Elise - but it's the same parts for an elan.

I got 4 boots, 2 hub nuts and change from £20 with next-day delivery :D

Oh, and once it's apart this way, and you can clean the grease off the shaft, you'll realise that the end bits are held on a spline with a circlip - undo that, and you won't have any drama trying to stretch the new boots over the big bits with a cone - it all just slides on!
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby RayD » Mon 29.09.2014, 20:45

:goodposting: Dave ... I've just had look on the Wiki to find somewhere suitable to add it ... but ran out of time before I found anywhere.

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby Simon_P » Mon 29.09.2014, 21:12

Yes you can just pull it out as described. The outer joint and shaft should stay attached to the gearbox.

The GKN number is on the gaiter by the large clamp. It is a very common part so you should easily get the correct one. Make sure it is rubber rather than plastic.

You will need more than one little grease sachet - unless you have found the hole early enough the grease inside will be contaminated.

Don't be too concerned the tripod to shaft spline is a loose fit by design.
Simon_P
God

Postby dapinky » Mon 29.09.2014, 21:24

Simon_P wrote:You will need more than one little grease sachet - unless you have found the hole early enough the grease inside will be contaminated.

The bags of grease that came with my boots were more than enough for the job - and I cleaned evey bit of old stuff out of the joints when I built them (and the'ye the correct material - not plastic)
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby Simon_P » Mon 29.09.2014, 22:38

Just answering the question!

The GKN boot is the correct OEM part.

The correct grease fill will be around 140 -160g
Simon_P
God

Drive shaft replacement

Postby davidcgriffiths » Sun 24.05.2015, 21:52

I am getting some strange notices from the transmission on my S1 Insuspect the near side drive shaft. Can anyone give me some advice on how to confirm which drive shaft is causing the noise . Can these drive shafts be repaired alternately where can I get replacements if required. :( :(
Update 25/05/15 After having a look this morning looks like the problem is a wheel bearing which is a surprise as it was only MOT'd 300 miles ago, but could be worse & a new bearing is far cheaper than a drive shaft
Elan Owner April 2010, Bewdley Worcestershire
davidcgriffiths
Tinkerer

Driveshaft Replacement

Postby KNZ2552 » Tue 26.05.2015, 07:53

Hello,
I too have noise coming from the transmission which have concluded is the near side driveshaft. I have bought a replacement on E Bay which should arrive later this week. is it a difficult job to do and can I replace this myself? if so what is the procedure?
Thanks Ken
KNZ2552

Re: Driveshaft replacement

Postby epipete » Tue 26.05.2015, 11:33

Ken,

I'd have thought that the previous posts on this thread would supply you with both the proceedure and a pretty fair resume of ad-hoc issues, I should combine this info with that supplied in the manual and then decide if you have the time, skill and tools to undertake the task, I can't say that I have done it myself but it would appear quite straight forward (as much as anything is on these cars anyway). When you get your new shaft you will have more info judge from.

Make sure you have a back up plan if required - I believe a tow in to the garage costs £50
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby rdodger » Tue 26.05.2015, 17:52

Enright wrote:I've done this job a couple of times recently, and I agree with the following:
Specky wrote:Simple to remove,
jack up
wheel off
wheel centre out
wheel on
lower car
undo/crack hub nut
jack up

However I follow a different path from here:
Specky wrote:undo jack shaft bolts on gearbox
remove coil over
remove raft assy complete with wishbones and hub, leave caliper connected
slide out drive shaft assy
split shaft on work bench
TTFN

I undo the nut securing the anti-roll bar
Remove the bolt that goes through the bottom of the spring/damper fork
Remove the nut on the bottom ball joint and split the taper
Swing the hub out of the way (pushing the CV joint through it)
Push the lower wishbone down so that the driveshaft can come out from between the fork
Knock or lever out the driveshaft from the inside to release it from the circlip
Pull it out

I did my first one yesterday and followed the procedure above pretty much apart from I left the inner shaft in the box and pulled the tripod out of the cup.

I did need to modify my ball joint splitter to get it in but that was no real issue.
rdodger
Tinkerer

Re: Driveshaft replacement

Postby KNZ2552 » Tue 26.05.2015, 19:00

Hello Epipete
Thanks for the step by step guide - just what I needed! As always I am amazed at how quick and helpful forum members respond with advice and assistance!
Kind regards Ken
KNZ2552

Previous

Return to Transmission, and Clutch