Gearbox and clutch removal/maintenance tips

Drivetrain problems

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Gearbox and clutch removal/maintenance tips

Postby Simon_P » Wed 18.07.2018, 19:35

My guess is grease from the clutch release bearing which also looks knackered, and appears to be in the right position.
Simon_P
God

Postby par » Wed 18.07.2018, 23:51

I think you guys are right with your suggestion of an O-ring seepage, after further inspection there are damp oil areas of the engine while not one drop has ever made it to the concrete of the garage floor where it gets parked. The oil appears to have got into the bell housing where the bottom flywheel cover plate fits and matches the "wet" sludge area inside the gearbox casing.

Will give it a good clean up and hopefully be good to go to fit the new clutch and start fitting it all back together again. Another pair of hands would be very welcome Jamie to help manipulate the gearbox back into place :-)
par
Fanatic

Postby CalElan » Thu 19.07.2018, 02:04

I recently did the clutch on mine and had exactly same mess inside the housing - boy did it take some cleaning off.
I know for a fact that my CAS was leaking at one point so I tend to agree that's where the oil came from.
CalElan
Fanatic

Postby Tuga2112 » Thu 19.07.2018, 10:36

i have some pictures of mine when i changed the clutch. there was no visible grease like in the earlier pictures, but there was clearly something "wet" keeping the clutch dust stuck to the housing.
i simply assumed it was normal for a 25 year old clutch. and cleaned the whole thing. using compressed air and white spirit.
i got pictures of the job in my phone. will be posting them later tonight and link them here just for reference.
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
Tuga2112
God

Postby par » Thu 19.07.2018, 20:55

Comforting to know others have seen similar deposits upon removing the gearbox.

Sachs clutch has arrived from RockAuto and there seems to be an extra bearing with this kit contained in the ziplock bag along with the high temp grease and alignment plug, not sure what this is for :smt102

I am assuming this is supplied for another model of vehicle this clutch kit is used for rather than the Elan or am I missing something?

:?:
par
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 19.07.2018, 21:19

Is it not the pilot bearing?

It goes into the crankshaft. You probably have to remove the flywheel to get to the opening.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Simon_P » Thu 19.07.2018, 21:21

You don't need the pilot bearing there should be a plastic plug in the end of the crank.

Do what the manual says, if it doesn't say grease the splines don't, if it says grease the splines use almost none there isn't much in a clutch that benefits from grease, and the dust will stick to the grease.

Do you have a new release bearing - you need one - which type is it? There are 2 types and I would like to know if the other type fits as my spare kit came with one.
Simon_P
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 19.07.2018, 21:39

I have several engines with flywheels on the shelf and never looked at the pilot shaft area.

All of the clutch kits I see say they have the bearing included, but I would prefer the nylon bushing to a bearing that can wear out or seize.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Previous

Return to Transmission, and Clutch