Replacement Shift Cable Kit - Similar to Bob B.

Drivetrain problems

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Replacement Shift Cable Kit - Similar to Bob B.

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 13.08.2013, 21:55

I am working on developing a replacement shift cable kit similar to that offered by Bob Brown.

I need to judge the demand if any.

Would it be best to just supply the adapter kit with the rod ends and all adapters and let the user order the cables directly or would everyone want the entire kit with cables in one pass.

If you are interested in the project, please let me know.

Thanks
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Wed 25.09.2013, 14:05, edited 2 times in total.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Re: Replacement Shift Cable Kit - Similar to Bob B.

Postby Rusty Wishbone » Tue 13.08.2013, 23:25

I am fully supportive of your efforts to get this kit made. There is plainly a need for it. However, I don't think a group buy approach is appropriate (I know that you haven't said anything about a group buy). Most Elaners will only want to buy a cable kit when theirs fails - a distressed purchase. What we need is a secure, ongoing supply, and, to me, this means handing it over at some stage to a commercial enterprise.
Rusty Wishbone
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 13.08.2013, 23:55

I agree a group buy is not going to work. I just don't want to invest in too many components only to have them never sell.

The only way to do this affordably is to get a batch of parts made. With Bob doing the machining in his spare time, he had little cost in the labor.

Small batches cost more than large batches, so trying to get a feel for demand.

The big issue is it is a one time repair. The odds of a replacement cable failing is very low, so there is not much life in the product. Nobody will want to do it commercially unless they can recover their total costs in the first few sales. That makes the kit even more expensive than the Lotus S2 cables which are still available.

The S2 gearbox mount bracket is still available for people with S1 and SE models but I am working on an idea to use the original bracket with the new cables. I am trying to get this done as in-between project so the labor cost will be a little better but the raw materials, hardware and rod ends all in stainless still gets the price up pretty high.

Of course, if you don't pay your supplier, your costs are low - for a short while.

I should have some of the adapters made over the next week or so. I have the material cut to size and ready for time at the lathe. I should have a set of cables here in the same time frame, so I will assemble everything on the test bed and see how it works.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 23.08.2013, 17:03

BUMP!

Is nobody interested? Even just those in the US? If I don't get any fedback, I guess I will finish the pieces I have started and drop the project.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby rip » Fri 23.08.2013, 17:06

Even though I have Ab cables...

Interested but poor at the moment & I'm sure many others are the same way. :cry:
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 23.08.2013, 17:15

I understand poor quite well. I am doing this on a shoe-string budget and only able to order bits as money becomes available.

I should have a full kit finished in around 10 days and will assemble it to see if I misunderstood anything.

I was figuring on funding a batch of around 20 adapter sets and keeping 2 sets of cables available. They take a few weeks to get made, so if there is a run on cable orders, it might be slower than prefered.

I also have to figure out the final costs of the kits and then figure out shipping costs outside the US.

First samples look good and I have the short block and gearbox mounted in a body shell, so I am making progress.

Thanks.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby HJ2 » Fri 23.08.2013, 20:27

Good job, you (Brit Car) Nut! :D
Love to see some pictures of the work :burnout:
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Postby racerstev » Sat 24.08.2013, 03:57

I baby the shifts on mine just because I worry about a cable failure. I would be interested..

Steve
racerstev
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 24.08.2013, 04:04

Finally got promised some serious time on a local lathe so should make progress on the adapters next week and the cables are supposed to ship on the 28th, so maybe by next weekend, I can install a set and see how it works out.

Pictures will follow as soon as I can work out the steps for replacement.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby wayne » Sat 24.08.2013, 04:23

racerstev wrote:I baby the shifts on mine just because I worry about a cable failure. I would be interested..

Steve

Good work John :clap:

Plastic in the Middle east is not good :( I know that both of mine were replaced in the last 10 years (1 by me and the other by the former keeper).

Although I do have spares. As Steve said..... I would prefer to change mine to something that I did not have to worry about every time I changed gear.

I will be up for a pair.... Now all you need to include is the short shift kit..... :poke: :-D

Looking forward to seeing some pics.
1992 Pacific Blue, Top end performance Kit. K&N airfilter& HKS BOV. Everest. HiSpec fronts, SS hoses. 2010 Canyon red Evora.
http://www.elanm100.com
wayne
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 24.08.2013, 04:35

I would love to see what the short shift kit includes. I can get machining done because several friends have small shops. I am not trying to invent anything, just replicate what has already been proven to work. If anyone wants to send me some pictures of the components of a short shift kit, I will gladly look at getting a couple built.

I see some pictures here and there, but nothing I can use to identify sizes and lengths. I dug out pictures from Dave's original posts.

Dave: any chances of more info? Thanks.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby dunnlor » Sat 24.08.2013, 06:25

John,

I've got a short shifter that's yet to be installed. I can make it available when you're ready.

Tom
dunnlor
Enthusiast

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 24.08.2013, 06:31

Thanks Tom. I just need the dimensions from old bolt center to new bolt center of the 2 levers and the length of the weight arm and approx mass of the weight.

send you a picture tomorrow.

Thanks.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby paulous » Sat 24.08.2013, 08:11

I'd be interested in a full kit with cables if you can make it happen
S2 No.285... Then sold it 2014
paulous
Enthusiast

Postby alan e » Sat 24.08.2013, 08:31

And me
[color=#FFBFFF]Black 1992 M100
2010 black evora
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
MG ZS EV
alan e
God

Postby jlk215 » Sat 24.08.2013, 14:01

I am interested in a full kit and in the short shift feature. Mine works fine but would like to reduce the worry factor.
jlk215

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 24.08.2013, 14:31

Thanks for letting me know there is still interest. I will let everyone know what I figure out with the short shift kit as well as the actual shift cables.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Peter_W » Sat 24.08.2013, 21:26

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:I would love to see what the short shift kit includes. I can get machining done because several friends have small shops. I am not trying to invent anything, just replicate what has already been proven to work. If anyone wants to send me some pictures of the components of a short shift kit, I will gladly look at getting a couple built.

I see some pictures here and there, but nothing I can use to identify sizes and lengths. I dug out pictures from Dave's original posts.

Dave: any chances of more info? Thanks.

John, PM sent.

Pete
"Those who know don't have the words to tell
And the ones with the words don't know too well"
Peter_W
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 24.08.2013, 21:41

Got it. THANK YOU.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby superbad » Sun 25.08.2013, 03:44

Let me know if you need any help. I have these cables (and the short shift kit) on my car and it is a vast difference. A think for a lot of this stuff the best approach is just to produce a full set of drawings and release them to the public. It's pretty easy to get simple machined parts made in low volumes.
superbad
Fanatic

Next

Return to Transmission, and Clutch