Replacement Shift Cable Kit - Similar to Bob B.

Drivetrain problems

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Replacement Shift Cable Kit - Similar to Bob B.

Postby Squirtydog » Fri 14.03.2014, 21:44

I do too. :roll: I was going to ask where there was a set in the UK. thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Ian D
Lotus Elan M100
Volvo XC60
Volvo S60
Squirtydog

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 16.03.2014, 17:53

Squirtydog wrote:I do too. :roll: I was going to ask where there was a set in the UK. thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Those in the UK that didn't have the option of getting the wrenches (They didn't exist at the beginning) can order them for $15.00 + $20 Priority Mail Postage.

Those in the US it is $15.00 + $5.00 Priority Mail.

See this earlier posting: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=22461&p=287280#p287280
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Squirtydog » Tue 18.03.2014, 23:45

Right.
Further to my previous post. Cables are now fitted, adjusted, short shifter fitted and adjusted correctly.

:smt040 :smt040 :D Pretty much sums up how I feel. The car shifts superbly - nice short throw, tight snicking into gear. There really is no comparison to how it felt with the standard kit.
My initial problem with gear selection was sorted with advice from John after a little adjustment. I had an issue with the stick position as it was far too posterior and got in the way of the handbrake. As soon as I had the short shift on and did some adjustment at the abutment bracket (fore aft cable needed adjusting towards the selector) this was cured completely.

I started the short shift installation this morning thinking that I would not get it done in one go but it was relatively straight forward. Again, just read John's instructions and follow them carefully. Damn fiddly getting down to the selector housing to remove it. Several things to get out of the way first. But again, doable by a relative novice.

This installation was sponsored by Shiraz, Sciatica and the letter F!
But it is done now and I am one happy person.

Shifting was immediately tighter with the new cables.
With the short shift it is transformed!
Given that gear shifting is such a fundamental aspect of the driving experience, I would view this upgrade as essential if you have some pennies to spare.
Ian D
Lotus Elan M100
Volvo XC60
Volvo S60
Squirtydog

Postby max-walls » Sun 23.03.2014, 16:08

Thought I would share my experience of fitting both short-shifter and cables.

Cables & Short Shift fitted today. Took her for a test drive a few minutes ago - what a transformation! The car feels completely different.

Having the cables already set up was a great help, as was the identification of which was which. I only adjusted the bell-crank cable in the end, but I could easily have left it as supplied. The short adjusting spanners you supplied are a must!

I didn't remove the selector box as one bolt was impossible to get to without too much agro. I also found fitting the fore-aft portion of the kit first (before the bell-crank) gave a bit more room to work.

Being a masochist, I also drained and re-filled the gearbox.....

Things always take me longer than I expect, but all done single-handed in the course of a day, without too much loss of blood or swearing.

Great job John - I'm very impressed with the quality of the kit and the instructions.

If anyone in the UK needs to borrow the spanners - just drop me a PM.

:cheers:

Mark
Last edited by max-walls on Sun 23.03.2014, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.
max-walls

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 23.03.2014, 16:15

Thanks Mark (Max) and Ian (Squirty). Glad you like the results.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 23.03.2014, 20:01

Squirtydog wrote:Thanks for that.

After further inspection with torch. I had myself mixed up. It is the crossgate cable which touches something (don't know what exactly - starter?) and that cable works fine. I'm sure the fore-aft is just a matter of adjusting correctly.

Sorry for the mixup.

Hey, no problem. I sometimes mix up the names of the cables in my mind when i am trying to describe the system.

You are correct in the detail that the starter gets touched by the crossgate cable. Since I am using only part of a car to do the preliminary installations, I didn't put the starter into it's normal location which helped me to get better pictures and, of course, it allows me not to have to fight to get a set installed and adjusted before shipping them off to a new owner.
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Tue 01.01.2019, 14:51, edited 2 times in total.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 24.03.2014, 16:08

Just wanted to say that I have modified the installation guides to include suggestions from those of you who have installed the Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kits.

I also re-printed the PDF and this time, put the associated reference pages in-line with the instructions - hopefully that makes it easier to find an associated illustration or workshop manual section.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 29.03.2014, 15:33

See next post.
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Sun 15.06.2014, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 15.06.2014, 15:52

Just bumping the listing as I need to sell quite a few to recover the investment - the credit card fees are adding up...

[size=150]Please go to the newest posts for the most recent prices and details./size]
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Tue 01.01.2019, 14:50, edited 2 times in total.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Fredjohn » Sun 15.06.2014, 19:44

Just spent a pleasantly warm day fitting BCN's gear cable kit and short shift set-up. An awkward job (what Lotus job isn't?), but not technically demanding.

First fit was perfect, and no cable length adjustment was needed. I chose the middle setting, so could have gone shorter, but am very happy with the result as it is. It's a very precise change, no sloppiness of the OEM set up , and of course much shorter fore-aft and across the gate. Managed to flatten the battery using a bright car fired light on the job, but after a 1-2 hrs charge the car started and I went round the block to test it on the move instead of static on the drive. Initial static impressions confirmed by this short drive of loads of gear changes. Fantastic transformation and absolute delight to drive. Thanks John.

That is probably my last mod/work for a while on the car other than some basic tidying, as I am reasonably happy with it as it now is (unless something goes, or another sensible mod crops up on LEC!)

Since getting the car in Aug 2012 I have done the following:

Gear cables/short shift
Cambelt/tensioners/waterpump
Remove/replace sump for repair
Replace rear disc/hubs for 2 piece hub and disc (Jeemy's group buy)
Replace front brakes with Wilwood set up
Fit new slider in door window
Fit remote electric boot and fuel flap set up

Now to take a breather and actually drive it! Off to the Lakes next weekend for Club Lotus Lakes edition 35 and the weekend after on the Serpentine run in the Peak district. Hope it all stays together!
:burnout: :burnout:

Oh and whilst this was going on replaced my Subaru this week with a CLK 320CDi...nice car.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
MB E250 CDi coupe 2013
Boardman Endurance SLR 9.4 disc 2018
Rapido 746 2010
Lotus Evija Danish edition
Fredjohn
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 12.07.2014, 23:52

The LAST 4 sets of cables in this batch are available to be dispatched.
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Tue 01.01.2019, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 01.08.2014, 20:33

Now, there are two sets left. If anyone has an interest, let me know. I will get more cables if there is interest, but I won't waste the money if this has run it's course...
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby B_land » Fri 01.08.2014, 22:59

John
E-mail sent.

B
EG S2
B_land
Enthusiast

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 11.08.2014, 23:18

I still have a couple of kits available. There were some being held for those that said they were going to order soon, and they stepped up but I still have a few cable and short-shift kits to offer.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Megwenda » Sun 17.08.2014, 11:24

Hi BCN

I am very interested in the kit (cables and short shift).... provided I can fit it, as this type of work can be VERY expensive when done by a garage in Switzerland (it would be almost cheaper for me to take a weeks holiday in the UK and get it done there :D

Can you point me to the installation instructions so that I can read them and make my mind up?

Regards
Dave
Megwenda
Enthusiast

Postby DaveB » Sun 17.08.2014, 14:35

Hi John

I would be interested if you have any kits left... email sent.

Thanks
David
Time taken to post a picture on this forum - down to 35 minutes...
DaveB
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 17.08.2014, 16:42

Megwenda wrote:Hi BCN

I am very interested in the kit (cables and short shift).... provided I can fit it, as this type of work can be VERY expensive when done by a garage in Switzerland (it would be almost cheaper for me to take a weeks holiday in the UK and get it done there :D

Can you point me to the installation instructions so that I can read them and make my mind up?

Regards
Dave

Dave: You have an email!
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Megwenda » Sun 17.08.2014, 19:08

HI John

OK; I will take a set... Have sent you an email

Regards
Dave
Megwenda
Enthusiast

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 21.08.2014, 04:10

Dave: They are on their way to you. Thanks.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Megwenda » Thu 21.08.2014, 12:53

Thanks John,
I will keep an eye out for them

I am hoping my garage will be finished with the respray of my (wifes) Elan tomorrow. If so, I will be able to attend the British Car Meeting on Sunday. From what I am told, nearly everyone who has a British car in Switzerland will be there :shock: It is about 30km away from me, so I might even attend even if the Elan is not ready.

From your user name, you are a british car nut, so this site may interest you. It is in German, but the pictures speak a thousand languages (also, use Google to translate the site to English if you want)
www.british-car-meeting.ch/

Regards
DAve
Megwenda
Enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to Transmission, and Clutch