Replacement Shift Cable Kit - Similar to Bob B.

Drivetrain problems

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Replacement Shift Cable Kit - Similar to Bob B.

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 31.12.2013, 17:40

No longer useful
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Wed 17.01.2018, 06:26, edited 1 time in total.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 28.01.2014, 18:38

No longer useful
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Wed 17.01.2018, 06:25, edited 1 time in total.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby lotos » Tue 28.01.2014, 19:20

For anyone on the fence about the short shift, hop off and buy one. I have the original kit and it vastly improves shifting in our cars.
lotos
God

Postby tigerdog » Wed 29.01.2014, 18:35

:agree:
Smaug has one of Dave's originals, too. I'll never forget my shock at driving a factory Elan. It took me a while to figure out the only thing "wrong" with the shifter is, it didn't have the kit. :shock:
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 17.02.2014, 22:54

Good and not so good news (not really bad)

The roads were cleared and I was able to drop off all of the pieces of the short-shift kit for yellow zinc plating. The not so good news is the plating company is a few days behind due to the snow storms last week so I won''t have the parts back until Thursday. I will get the two kits packed along with Sandra's cables and get them into the post on Friday.

Anyone else looking for either heavy duty replacement shift cables or a short-shift kit, I have stock of both available after Friday of this week 21/2/14.

Installation of the short-shift kit is really pretty easy. I will get full instructions with pictures written up over the weekend when I have the actual parts to photograph. Shift cable installation instructions are already available on the web. I will get a complete site built up for cables, short shift kits and all of the necessary instructions.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 21.02.2014, 01:19

For those considering the cables, please see the latest posts for prices and availablility
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Tue 01.01.2019, 14:54, edited 3 times in total.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby KevB » Mon 24.02.2014, 21:14

Do I need these cables...?
Lunch time today, I stopped at a petrol station, filled up, started up,...cant select any gear, floppy gear stick...are the cables the problem? or something worse? :(

Kevin
KevB
Tinkerer

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 24.02.2014, 21:38

Kevin:

I wish I could tell you the correct solution. The cables attach to the gearbox basically under the coolant bottle, wires to the coils and some other plumbing. If you get a torch and have someone move the shift lever around, you should see the cables moving the levers.

This is a picture of the area with a LOT of the annoying parts removed:

When someone moves the gear lever as if changing gears, either or both of the levers will move.

If only one moves, then it is probable one of the cables has broken. To verify, you will need to reach down there and see if you can feel for a slack cable just behind the gearbox levers, or pull the shifter assembly inside the car and check the cables there.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby KevB » Mon 24.02.2014, 21:57

John, thank you for that clear description of how to check...I will try tomorrow
Kevin
KevB
Tinkerer

Postby epipete » Mon 24.02.2014, 21:59

Like what John says above, but, as he describes, moving the gear lever moves two cables (fore & aft and Crossgate) and so unless both cables have broken (very unlikely) I would have expected some resistance at the gear lever side, either across or up/down but the place to look initially is at the gearbox end!

To move the coolant tank, if needed, remove the rear bolt and slide the tank towards the bulkhead (this releases the slot tab at the front bottom of the tank) you can gently lift the tank up and forwards out of the way bare in mind that there are two coolant pipes attached. Now you should have clear site of the cable runs as they enter the engine bay.
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 24.02.2014, 22:05

Thanks Pete. You have become a master of shift cables!
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby epipete » Mon 24.02.2014, 22:32

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Thanks Pete. You have become a master of shift cables!

Were that true I should be a happy bunny; however, although my cables are now attached I appear to be lacking 1st and 2nd so still some fettling to do, but I am, I'm sure, almost at the end! Tomorrow is another day.
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 24.02.2014, 22:54

Is the crossgate going far enough to select those gears? 1st and 2nd are all the way OUT for the cable. Maybe you are running out of cable before getting the bellcrank into position. Try lengthening the cable (at the gearbox) by loosening the jam nut and threading the rod end out a few turns and then tighten the jam nut. Worst thing that will do is move left/right neutral to the right a little bit. You can always un-do the adjustment if that doesn't help.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Squirtydog » Thu 13.03.2014, 20:04

So, I fitted the cables today.

Firstly, I have only ever changed a set of discs and pads and flushed transmission fluid in the past so I am a novice.

Overall thoughts: fiddly but doable.

I didn't take any pictures as the guide provided by John is spot on. My advice is read it thoroughly in advance.
Took me a couple of hours to strip everything out in preparation a few days ago.
Installation has taken me most of the day. Mainly through taking it slowly and cautiously.

Some thoughts:
Passing the cables is by far the most fiddly bit.
Do follow the instructions.
When preparing the gear stick end, attach only one cable as advised. I didn't read carefully and had to detach one prior to passing them through the tunnel.
I tried the paper sleeve and the string method for passing the cables. This didn't help me. In the end I removed the bracket from the gear box whilst passing the cables. This allowed me to get my left arm through and take hold of the cables at the bulkhead and pull them through. Quite a bit of to and fro before I got them through.

A couple of issues I found and need to resolve...
I don't have enough fore aft movement to fully engage 1st 3rd 5th. This may simply need some adjustment. However, when refitting the stick housing to the centre tunnel, it simply did not like sitting flat. It wanted to sit back from the holes. It took some SERIOUS persuasion for the rear edge to sit flat and get the holes to line up. The reason seems to be that the fore aft cable fouls on the edge where the gearbox meets the engine and is pushing backwards. The cable casing presses hard against this and seems too long. I have adjusted at the abutment bracket a far as I can I think. i.e. Bracket is as far back as possible on the thread, but to no avail. I will try to get a camera in for a pic at the weekend.
Hopefully John will be along to advise.

All in all, if I get this sorted then I am happy. I would not recommend giving this job to a garage unless they have done it before as the labour cost will be crazy.
Ian D
Lotus Elan M100
Volvo XC60
Volvo S60
Squirtydog

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 13.03.2014, 21:15

Replacement Shift Cable Kit - Similar to Bob
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Wed 16.07.2014, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Squirtydog » Thu 13.03.2014, 21:55

Thanks for that.

After further inspection with torch. I had myself mixed up. It is the crossgate cable which touches something (don't know what exactly - starter?) and that cable works fine. I'm sure the fore-aft is just a matter of adjusting correctly.

Sorry for the mixup.
Last edited by Squirtydog on Thu 13.03.2014, 22:45, edited 2 times in total.
Ian D
Lotus Elan M100
Volvo XC60
Volvo S60
Squirtydog

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 13.03.2014, 22:28

Squirtydog wrote:Thanks for that.

Pretty sure cables are the correct way around. I didn't disassemble anything so it is impossible to connect them wrongly at the shifter end is is not? Simplest explanation does seem that I have them swapped however - they definitely do not follow the same course as the diagram. Will recheck on Saturday.

You are correct that if you didn't change the hardware and adapters at the shifter end, the cables will be correct as installed.

Look for the cables getting twisted up in the tunnel or the crossgate cable ending up at the bottom as they exit the tunnel - that would put the cables in bind. I expect it will be a simple issue if you can see what is different from the pictures. I can provide a lot of specific pictures but you will need to ask for whatever view you want me to snap and send.

I changed the install guide to reflect your suggestions. I have NOT updated the PDF yet as that takes a fair amount of time to print each section separate;ly and then assemble the PDF. I will try to get it done later tonight.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Squirtydog » Thu 13.03.2014, 22:33

You were too fast there. I've edited the post. Got myself mixed up. :roll:

Email sent with pics
Ian D
Lotus Elan M100
Volvo XC60
Volvo S60
Squirtydog

Postby Squirtydog » Thu 13.03.2014, 23:10

P.s. Adjustment at the bracket is a proper bugger with a standard wench. I'm not sure how I will tighten things up properly after I've adjusted things properly.

Buy the tool!
Ian D
Lotus Elan M100
Volvo XC60
Volvo S60
Squirtydog

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 14.03.2014, 00:18

I wish you had asked for a set. They could have gone in the short shift package with no increase of the postage.

The kits that went to Sandra (York) and Mark W. (Bucks) both have the wrenches included. Maybe you can coordinate with them to borrow a pair when they are finished?
Brit-Car-Nut
God

PreviousNext

Return to Transmission, and Clutch