Replacement Shift Cable Kit - Similar to Bob B.

Drivetrain problems

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Replacement Shift Cable Kit - Similar to Bob B.

Postby DeeAitch » Sun 25.08.2013, 10:33

John C, you have PM.
For me, group buys were always a concern if you had to pay up front. When I buy something, be it for the car, house, whatever, I expect the vendor to have stock to honour that purchase by return. Therefore I always funded advance stock myself, building in sufficient batches to minimise cost whilst hopefully keeping enough stock to satisfy unexpected demand, as is sure to be the case once people jump on the bandwagon following all the rave :bananasex: reviews you will get :-D
There was a time when I had something like 20 kits gathering dust but that's a risk I decided to take. On the other hand there was also a time when I may have run out and needed to pay premium rates to be sure I had stock.

Now I fully understand why some of the larger projects would struggle for funding. I for one would not be able to fund something like wishbones, but asking folk to fork out 3 or 4 years in advance is not on.
I guess the only way is to either farm designs out as a commercial exercise, driving up the price, or finding a way to fund it without a expecting a few individuals to cough up. Don't see why a few folk should fund development when we all stand to benefit long term.
Just my view on it, not saying everyone must agree!
DeeAitch
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 25.08.2013, 13:31

Dave:

I fully agree with your Group Buy philosophies. If I do this, money will be charged ONLY when I have a kit ready to dispatch. Investment in development and basic stock will be my problem.

On deals like the Outer Door Wiper Strips, prefunding is not a possibility but the supplier has assurred me that they have adequate stocks and will ship as soon as they receive the funds, so we will collect the individual payments from the LEC participants and make one large payment to the supplier (PNM in this case) and forward them to everyone as soon as they arrive.

I fear the shift cables and short shift kits will create lots of enquiries but not sure how many will result in real sales. You provided a large number of short shift kits over the years so I am not thinking of anything as "grand" as that since onece the kit is installed, there won't be a demand for another for that car.

Shift cables will break but the cars are not being driven as much as regular everyday transportation so I don't see a lot of demand for cables either. I have been hoarding spare stock cables for years even though I installed AB cables in my first car and have a set for the second car as well. Most of the LEC members I have worked with seem to have a reasonable stock of spare parts too, so I figure on only keeping a small quantity of complete kits on hand. The adapter parts are not too hard to make and the rod ends can be here in a few days but the cables are too expensive to buy but never sell.

I promise that I will NOT ask for payment before the kit is ready to ship.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby m100sandra » Sun 25.08.2013, 22:17

Short shift kit "Please" :) & cables
Last edited by m100sandra on Wed 28.08.2013, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.
m100sandra
Fanatic

Postby paul27848 » Wed 28.08.2013, 08:13

Cables and short shift please. Only two days ago my S2 decided to stick in 5th gear, may not be a broken cable but if cables were available I'd fit them as part of the fix.

Paul
paul27848
Enthusiast

Postby LotusEnthusiast » Wed 28.08.2013, 17:43

I'm intrested in a short shift kit with cables but I will need to know the price. Luckily we both are in the US so shipping won't be to bad.

Thanks Chris
LotusEnthusiast
Tinkerer

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 28.08.2013, 18:36

Just so there are no misunderstandings: I am working on this and will have cables before short shift kits. I am ready to machine the adapters and will be installing test cables later next week (doing chemo today and tomorrow).

Dave has provided a set of prints for his short shift kit, but I haven't done much more than confirm I can get the raw materials. I will have more details when I get home from treatments.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby LotusEnthusiast » Wed 28.08.2013, 23:23

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Just so there are no misunderstandings: I am working on this and will have cables before short shift kits. I am ready to machine the adapters and will be installing test cables later next week (doing chemo today and tomorrow).

Dave has provided a set of prints for his short shift kit, but I haven't done much more than confirm I can get the raw materials. I will have more details when I get home from treatments.

Okay that's fine with me, I am in no rush at all.

Thanks Chris
LotusEnthusiast
Tinkerer

Postby seaspider » Thu 29.08.2013, 13:55

Hi, I NEED cables ASAP and I'm interested in a short shift kit too, but I'd like to know the price. I live in Tenerife (Canary island, Spain)

Thank you a lot :bowdown:

Giovanni
seaspider

Postby nicowalker1 » Thu 29.08.2013, 15:35

Im interested, very price dependant as skint doesnt cut it!
nicowalker1
God

Postby rip » Thu 29.08.2013, 17:19

I had a set of spare cables once but I gave them to the previous poster :-D
I would quite like another set of spares :smt023
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby dapinky » Thu 29.08.2013, 18:47

rip wrote:I had a set of spare cables once but I gave them to the previous poster :-D

I'm glad you posted that, Ian - I was just going to offer him my spare AB ones - but at this rate he'll have more of my spares than I do :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby nicowalker1 » Thu 29.08.2013, 22:09

They already have play on the ends...
nicowalker1
God

Postby rip » Thu 29.08.2013, 22:40

dapinky wrote:
rip wrote:I had a set of spare cables once but I gave them to the previous poster :-D

I'm glad you posted that, Ian - I was just going to offer him my spare AB ones - but at this rate he'll have more of my spares than I do :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you surprised? He lives near Dico, the forum's #1 spares hoarder. :lol:

They were what I replaced with my ABs. I assumed they were SE cables but Graham identified them as S2s.
BTW, have you seen the dodgy geordie recently? He has a recliner wheel for you.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby dapinky » Thu 29.08.2013, 23:05

rip wrote:BTW, have you seen the dodgy geordie recently? He has a recliner wheel for you.

Ahh, so that's what the reference was to "having Pinkys knob"......

...if it's anything like when he had the hardtop brackets for me from Tony, I'll get them about next April :D
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby rip » Thu 29.08.2013, 23:19

dapinky wrote:
rip wrote:BTW, have you seen the dodgy geordie recently? He has a recliner wheel for you.

Yup. Seat recliner knob. :smt023
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 03.09.2013, 16:30

Back on topic:

I am making good progress on the cable adapter kits and expect my test cables in a few days so I can assemble and test the product. I will figure the best way to ship these around the world and provide prices for complete kits as well as just the adapters (you buy your own cables).

Cables are custom manufactured, so take around 3 weeks to receive from the supplier. They are heavy, unwieldy and hard to ship. Ordering one set is expensive, but might be more affordable if they don't have to be shipped across international borders. I will follow up on cable sources once I am happy with the total project.

Short Shift kits are still on the drawing board but not imminent.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 03.09.2013, 18:25

rip wrote:
dapinky wrote:

Yup. Seat recliner knob. :smt023

Can't you pinch one of a red scrapper? :roll:
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby dapinky » Tue 03.09.2013, 18:38

GeoffSmith wrote:Can't you pinch one of a red scrapper? :roll:

May not need a knob if i can swap the seats over before it goes away (and the new carpets, and Iain has 12 hours to swap his repaired SE wishbones for my SS ones) be just my luck if i did all that for them to decide it's repairable and I've lost all my good bits!!!!
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby lotos » Fri 06.09.2013, 22:11

John,

Drop me a line when you have the completed product and price if you can. I'm not on the forum very often now that I'm home all day with two little kids.
lotos
God

Postby Rusty Wishbone » Wed 11.09.2013, 21:58

Please add me to your list. So long as the cost is not absurd, I would like the cable kit and, later, the short shift. I'm not in any hurry, though. Unless I have a snappage, I will await the short shift before fitting the cable kit.
Rusty Wishbone
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Transmission, and Clutch