Short Shift Adapter Kit - similar to Dave's

Drivetrain problems

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Short Shift Adapter Kit - similar to Dave's

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 22.11.2013, 15:05

The Short Shift Adapter Kit is making progress.

I have what I consider to be "fair" quotes for laser cutting the blanks for both adapters and as soon as my bank account catches up with the shift cable costs, I will get those pieces made and will start to assemble kits.

They will have to be "Special Order" since there will need to be different variations depending on which shift cables you will be using.

I have figured out solutions for Stock, A-B, Bob B. and now my own cables.

I haven't looked at a solution for anyone that converted to GEO Storm cables or any other solutions.
I would be happy to consider any odd cable set-up as long as you can send me specific details and a few pictures.

I am following the plans for Dave's Short Shift Kit version 2. Thank you for the details, Dave.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Re: Short Shift Adapter Kit - similar to Dave's

Postby ovi » Mon 25.11.2013, 14:21

Great news! :clap:
ovi
Enthusiast

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 31.12.2013, 18:41

On a happy note, I finally received the laser cut pieces for the Short Shift Project.

I have a lot of tapping, fitting and welding to do before I can send things out for plating, but I AM making progress.

I am using brass bushings for the test fittings but have ordered some nylon66 bushings for real use.

Here are a couple of pictures with the base parts on display:

This is how the Crossgate Bellcrank will be assembled:

There will be several different cable attachment pin solutions for the Fore-Aft Lever since there are several different types of cables in use.

You might notice the odd group of holes in the Fore-Aft Lever but these are to allow a slight change in the ratio for the shortening. It allows you to use the ratio Dave designated (middle hole), go a little bit shorter or go a little bit longer. This is similar to the options offered by the AB Short Shift Kit.

I wish I could afford to get new fore-aft pivot shaft assemblies made like the AB kit but that isn't practical to keep the system affordable. The overlapping lever works just fine.

Sorry it has taken longer than hoped, but finances have limits and I tried several different options before deciding on this as the final concept.

I will try to have a few pictures of the parts installed on a shift housing right after the New Year festivities wind down.

Happy New Year!

There will also be a counterweight at the other end to smooth out the shifting feel.
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Wed 01.01.2014, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby m100sandra » Tue 31.12.2013, 22:38

:bowdown: i best start saving..... cables & short shift..............
m100sandra
Fanatic

Postby LotusEnthusiast » Tue 31.12.2013, 22:47

m100sandra wrote::bowdown: i best start saving..... cables & short shift..............

:agree:
LotusEnthusiast
Tinkerer

Postby rip » Wed 01.01.2014, 22:55

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:There will also be a counterweight at the other end to smooth out the shifting feel.

I had wondered what that was there for.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby L8apex » Thu 02.01.2014, 16:44

I can hardly wait to get one. I'll be watching this thread and buy one as soon as it becomes available.
Thanks so much for your effort!
1991 red Elan SE
1969 S4 Elan SE coupe
2012 Fiat 500 Abarth
2007 Kubota B21 tractor with backhoe
Yes I know it's a tractor but it's a dam fine tractor
L8apex

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 03.01.2014, 00:01

I decided to take some measurements of the shifter travel using the stock and short shift parts.
All measurements are taken at the top of the THREADED portion of the shifter. The shift knob is not installed and it would add around 2 more inches to the shift lever length (thus even longer throws).

These numbers are the full throw distances ie from 3rd to 4th and from full left to full right

Fore-Aft-0: 5.25" This is using the stock F/A arm.
Fore-Aft-1: 4.10" This is using the #1 hole - longest throw using the sort-shift adapter.
Fore-Aft-2: 3.75" This is using the #2 hole - Dave's original specification.
Fore-Aft-3: 3.40" This is using the #3 hole - shortest adjustment possible.

Crossgate-1: 3.25" This is using the stock bellcrank.
Crossgate-2: 2.50" This is using the short-shift bellcrank.

I thought that those people interested would like to know what to expect.

I am still waiting for the pivot bushings (coming from the UK) for the crossgate bellcrank and then will need to do the final trim on the pivots so they can be welded to the bellcranls. Once that is done, I will get them plated and can offer them for sale.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby L8apex » Mon 06.01.2014, 19:00

As the throw becomes shorter, does the amount of pressure required to shift gears increase a dramatic amount?
1991 red Elan SE
1969 S4 Elan SE coupe
2012 Fiat 500 Abarth
L8apex

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 06.01.2014, 19:16

Not a drastic increase, but it is noticable. A big concern is the new position of the attaching points so the cables end up a bit out of line so stock / AB cables will have a harder time not binding a bit.

I thought about making a completely new cable bracket for the gearbox end, but it would increase the cost enough to discourage sales.

Bob B. cables and those I am offering have a lot of alignment forgiveness since the ends are articulating balls. As soon as I get the pivot bushings in, I will reassemble my car enought to actually drive it a bit and see if there are any other observations.

People with stock cables will face the probablilty that their cables will fail either by complete cable breakage or the mounting flanges will break due to the heavier effort required to move the gearbox levers.

The counterweight provides that little bit of energy to make the fore-aft shifts feel very solid and secure. You will have a short learning curve to adjust to the shorter throws to get the car into the different gears. Old habits die hard and the numbers don't seem to be a huge difference, but at the shifter, you are in gear much sooner than you expect.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby DeeAitch » Mon 06.01.2014, 22:50

Just like to point out that I've been running my shortshift for over 6 years now, circa 40k miles and still have the SE cables that were in the car when I bought it 10 years ago.
Really depends how vigorously you like to thrust :bananasex:
Bound to fail now!

It is also worth cutting around one inch from the lever, shortens the throw even more and makes it look like it belongs in a sports car!
DeeAitch
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 06.01.2014, 23:01

Thanks Dave.

As the original designer, you have more real world knowlege as to the day to day concerns. I am still considering getting a new gearbox bracket made that will re-align the cable paths, but won't make any decisions until the nylon bushings show up.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 28.01.2014, 18:34

I ordered the lower clip for the fore-aft adapter of the Short-Shift-Kit yesterday and expect to see them in a couple of weeks.
I dropped off 15 Crossgate Bellcranks at the welder and will have them back later today.
The nylon bushings finally arrived.
Once I get the outstanding lower clip, everything has to go out for plating but that just takes 2 days.

If all goes as planned, I will have 15 kits available in 2 to 3 weeks.

I will be able to include it in the same box as a shift cable kit but the extra weight will affect the shipping price, but not as much as sending them as separate parcels.

I would like to have an idea who is interested in buying these when they become available in 3 weeks.
Please state if it is just the Short-Shift Kit, Just a Cable Kit or a combination package:

Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Tue 04.10.2016, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby m100sandra » Wed 29.01.2014, 12:00

1. combination package, M100 Sandra (Payment sent)
Last edited by m100sandra on Thu 30.01.2014, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
m100sandra
Fanatic

Postby L8apex » Wed 29.01.2014, 16:55

m100sandra wrote:1. combination package, M100 Sandra
2. shifter kit only l8apex It will be used with the cables I bought from you 2 months ago
1991 red Elan SE
1969 S4 Elan SE coupe
2012 Fiat 500 Abarth
L8apex

Postby L8apex » Wed 29.01.2014, 16:58

Do I make payment to the same paypal account that I made payment to for the shift cables I bought from you?
1991 red Elan SE
1969 S4 Elan SE coupe
2012 Fiat 500 Abarth
L8apex

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 29.01.2014, 17:09

L8apex wrote:Do I make payment to the same paypal account that I made payment to for the shift cables I bought from you?

Yes, that is fine. Remember to subtract the $10.00 if you order before Feb 7.

Thanks.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 12.02.2014, 19:34

I picked up the last component of the kit and once the blizzard finishes screwing up the local businesses, I will get the parts out to be plated.

I am still hoping to meet my Feb 18 ish goal for shipment, but I might have to wait a day or two longer for the plating to be finished. Right now, driving is not an option, so MAYBE, the roads will open again on Friday. I will get out as soon as it is safe.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 12.02.2014, 19:37

Please state if it is just the Short-Shift Kit, Just a Cable Kit or a combination package:

1. combination package, M100 Sandra (Payment sent) Payment received, Thanks.
2. shifter kit only l8apex It will be used with the cables I bought from you 2 months ago Payment received, Thanks.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 17.02.2014, 22:51

Good and not so good news (not really bad)

The roads were cleared and I was able to drop off all of the pieces of the short-shift kit for yellow zinc plating. The not so good news is the plating company is a few days behind due to the snow storms last week so I won''t have the parts back until Thursday. I will get the two kits packed along with Sandra's cables and get them into the post on Friday.

Anyone else looking for either heavy duty replacement shift cables or a short-shift kit, I have stock of both available after Friday of this week 21/2/14.

Installation of the short-shift kit is really pretty easy. I will get full instructions with pictures written up over the weekend when I have the actual parts to photograph. Shift cable installation instructions are already available on the web. I will get a complete site built up for cables, short shift kits and all of the necessary instructions.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Next

Return to Transmission, and Clutch