Short Shift Adapter Kit - similar to Dave's

Drivetrain problems

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Short Shift Adapter Kit - similar to Dave's

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 09.02.2015, 17:05

Short-Shift Kit prices remain the same as previously posted: $135.00 if included with my Shift Cable Kit or $175.00 if needed for A-B Cables, S2 Cables or Bob B.'s Cables - due to adding the modified bulkhead bracket.
Shipping of the Short-Shift Kit to US buyers is still $10.00 and for those in the UK/Europe, the shipping is $26.00

This is the current price list from the Replacement Cable Kit Posting:

Got the new prices for cables from the manufacturer today and the new price makes the cable kit $445.00.
The Short-Shift Kit price remains the same until I need to get more parts made: $135.00.
Shipping is also the same: $30 for US Buyers and for UK/Europe buyers $64.00 for Cables Only or $70.00 for Cables and Short-Shift Kit.

Prices WITH Postage is:
$460.00 + $40.00 Shipping is $500.00 For US Cables Only
$595.00 + $40.00 Shipping is $635.00 for US Cables and Short-Shift Kit

$460.00 + $74.00 Shipping is $534.00 for UK/Europe Cables Only
$595.00 + $90.00 Shipping is $685.00 for UK/Europe Cables and Short-Shift Kit

The prices assume you will be paying using PayPal's Friends/Family option. If not, you will need to add 4% to cover PayPal's retail fees.

My PayPal ID is john (AT) lotusm100 (DOT) com.

I am ordering the cables as needed so the new price reflects the reduction in bulk order discounts.
It will also add 3 to 4 busines days to the shipping delay while I wait for the cables to be manufactured and shipped to me.

Thank you for your orders.
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Tue 04.10.2016, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 04.05.2015, 18:41

After spending significant time with both SE cables and A-B cables (I don't have a set of S2 cables to test), regardless of what bracket you end up with, the geometry is bad enough that the results are less than what I would call acceptable so I will not offer any of the modified kits any more. A few people with A-B cables bought a modified Short-Shift Kit and were happy with the improvement, but the failure to center was always a problem and we couldn't resolve it, so that is why I have made this decision.

My Short-Shift Kit is available for my cables and I have a version that will work with Bob B.'s cables as well.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby tweetdriver63 » Mon 04.05.2015, 20:40

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:After spending significant time with both SE cables and A-B cables (I don't have a set of S2 cables to test), regardless of what bracket you end up with, the geometry is bad enough that the results are less than what I would call acceptable so I will not offer any of the modified kits any more. A few people with A-B cables bought a modified Short-Shift Kit and were happy with the improvement, but the failure to center was always a problem and we couldn't resolve it, so that is why I have made this decision.

My Short-Shift Kit is available for my cables and I have a version that will work with Bob B.'s cables as well.

Just for info's sake, I installed AB cables several years ago. I don't have any short-shift kit installed. I lost the centering feature of my shifter the moment the AB cables were installed, and it has never returned. It may be that, no matter what you do with your bracket designs, AB simply kill the centering.
Chris

'91 Elan SE
'04 MB C230 Sport Coupe
'08 Mercury Mariner Hybrid
'12 Evora S GP Edition (In my dreams - HA!)
tweetdriver63
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 04.05.2015, 20:49

Thanks for the comment Chris. The big problem is the cables are misaligned no matter what you do and the bushings used by Alan are less fluid than those used by Lotus originally. Opening up the bore of the gearbox end crossgate bushing helps a bit but even by raising the abutment mount and allowing the cables to twist more toward their intended target, the friction is reduced but I just don't like the way they work. I never tried reinstalling the pivot pin from the bottom so the cable is better aligned, but I read a post from LGM stating that this helped her, so next time I have a set of AB cables on hand, I will try that and if it helps enough, I will again offer the modified kit with different instructions.

You might want to try that for your issue and see if it helps. You can contact me by email if you want more specific directions.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby daveiow » Tue 05.05.2015, 21:54

Good news first-
Just had the new BCN cables and Short Shift Kit fitted by Sportomotive and what a transformation :D
As good as everyone has said, thanks John for a great piece of kit!
Passed the MOT with no advisories also, very happy.
Not so good news, the off side headlamp pod has started to make the strange "ratchet" like sound on closure.
This confirms my opinion that the replacement cogs supplied by SJ Sportscars are fractionally too small so the worm does not engage correctly with the teeth on the cog :(
If anyone else has this issue I would be interested to know, anyway back to Rodney Dickman for another correct metal one.
daveiow :m100:
"live long and prosper"
Calypso Red 91se. Hispecs,PNM rear calipers,Samco's & BCN cables & SSK so far!(oh and a new hood and paint) sold
Evora n/a
Alfa Sud 1.5ti long gone!
daveiow
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Transmission, and Clutch