Short Shift Adapter Kit - similar to Dave's

Drivetrain problems

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Re: Short Shift Adapter Kit - similar to Dave's

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 20.02.2014, 23:35

Picked up the plating job a short while ago. Everything looks great. I will try to have the two kits out to the post tomorrow.

I am working an an installation guide as well.
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Sat 12.07.2014, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby paulous » Fri 21.02.2014, 00:35

I'm interested in the kit and cables but worried slightly about being able to fit it all myself. Is it fairly easy for a total mechanical novice like me to do everything needed? I don't want to end up breaking anything!
S2 No.285... Then sold it 2014
paulous
Enthusiast

Postby paulous » Fri 21.02.2014, 00:49

P.S. I use an old mx5 ( girlfriends car) for my daily commute and even tho it's as old as my elan the gear change is awesome...short and very precise. By comparison my Elan is very sloppy, vague and the gear stick feels about 3 times longer! It's something I've always wanted to improve so I'm presuming this kit will go a long way to addressing this?
S2 No.285... Then sold it 2014
paulous
Enthusiast

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 21.02.2014, 01:10

paulous wrote:I'm interested in the kit and cables but worried slightly about being able to fit it all myself. Is it fairly easy for a total mechanical novice like me to do everything needed? I don't want to end up breaking anything!

Paul:

It is a bit complicated and frustrating - You need to disassemble the car enough to remove the shifter in the cockpit as well as get to the gearbox shifter end but I think anyone that is somewhat mechanically adept can do an installation. I provide a guide for the cable installation. It would be wise to look at the guide to see if it makes enough sense to you to attempt the project.

For another person's attempt at installing a used set of Bob B. Cables (very similar to my cables), look at the posts from epipete regarding his adventure: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=22817&start=40#p287780

It is carried on starting here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=22784&p=289774#p289518

I am just now working on a guide for installing the short-shift kit and am honestly a long way from completion, but by the end of the weekend, all of the directions and appropriate pictures should be up and running. I am uploading sections as I write them, so the start is viewable. The file naming is a bit slack but they are in process groups starting at the beginning (a?.jpg and progressing b?.jpg and so forth. A few are being grabbed from the cable guide, so the file names are longer. I still need to get some pictures that show a Bob B. cable installation for the disassembly portion. The short-shift kit is all done at the gearbox end but if you are going to consider cables, it would be easier to do them together. I think the cable portion is the hardest because getting the cables through the tunnel is a pain but now that I have done it around 100 times, I find it really easy to put both kits on the test body in around 20 minutes.

The short-shift guide will change a bunch of times before I am finished, but you will get the gist as I make more progress tomorrow after I pack and ship the two kits that were purchased last month.

If you have any questions, you can email me and I will reply as quickly as I can.
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Sun 13.07.2014, 20:40, edited 5 times in total.
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 21.02.2014, 01:14

paulous wrote:P.S. I use an old mx5 ( girlfriends car) for my daily commute and even tho it's as old as my elan the gear change is awesome...short and very precise. By comparison my Elan is very sloppy, vague and the gear stick feels about 3 times longer! It's something I've always wanted to improve so I'm presuming this kit will go a long way to addressing this?

It reduces the travel distance from left to right and front to back by around 25%. I have been shifting the test setup so much recently, I don't remember the original feel but do remember it was really horrible. My friend that has been helping me is really impressed when he gets to install a short-shift kit for a test.
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 23.02.2014, 00:53

I shipped the first two Short-Shift Kits yesterday. Hopefully, we will get some feedback soon. I am working on the installation guide, so it should be finished byt the time the kits arrive at their new homes.

BTW, the SS-Kit on eBay is NOT one of mine OR one of Dave's although he is sending Dave's instructions with it...

Also not one of A-B's, or Bob B.'s (even though we haven't heard of any of those actually being sold)

My kits are currently available for $135.00 + shipping (varies depending on what country you live in.)

Shift Cable sets are also available right now -- if you need them.

asm2a.jpg
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 23.02.2014, 23:13

Please state if it is just the Short-Shift Kit, Just a Cable Kit or a combination package:

1. combination package, M100 Sandra (Payment sent) Payment received, Thanks. shipped, tracking provided
2. shifter kit only l8apex It will be used with the cables I bought from you 2 months ago Payment received, Thanks. shipped, tracking provided
3. combination package, Max-walls (Payment sent) Payment received, Thanks. shipped, tracking provided
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby L8apex » Fri 28.02.2014, 17:33

I received my SS kit this week. The parts quality is splendid. It will be a couple of weeks before I get it installed and I'll post up my thoughts about how it works at that time. If I were to place a bet I would bet that it will work great.
Not that long ago I thought I'd missed the boat in regards to being able to find a short shifter for this older car that had such a small production run. All I can say is that I'm so pleased britcarnut has taken the time and trouble to make such high quality parts available for us. If you need one I would advise you to not miss this boat. It may not ever come again.
1991 red Elan SE
1969 S4 Elan SE coupe
2012 Fiat 500 Abarth
2007 Kubota B21 tractor with backhoe
Yes I know it's a tractor but it's a dam fine tractor
L8apex

Postby Squirtydog » Fri 07.03.2014, 23:37

Short shift kit just paid for. Should be installed along with the cables in the next few weeks. I'll feedback my thoughts once I've been out for a drive. Really looking forward to testing how it feels.
Ian D
Lotus Elan M100
Volvo XC60
Volvo S60
Squirtydog

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 08.03.2014, 16:33

Squirtydog wrote:Short shift kit just paid for. Should be installed along with the cables in the next few weeks. I'll feedback my thoughts once I've been out for a drive. Really looking forward to testing how it feels.

Package ready and will ship today. email sent with tracking details. Thank you.
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby m100sandra » Wed 12.03.2014, 20:36

Shifter kit and cables arrived Today, hopfully fitted in a couple of weeks :-)
m100sandra
Fanatic

Postby ccb056 » Sat 15.03.2014, 14:48

Thanks for the short shift kit John! Came in the other day and will be installing soon.
1991 Lotus Elan Fed, Monaco White
Mobil 1 5w50, PureONE PSL14459, Redline MT-90
Piper 2.5 Resonator PCE; 21mm wastegate; Everest
Quaife ATB LSD, BCN Cables and Short Shift, Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R
ccb056
Enthusiast

Postby Squirtydog » Wed 19.03.2014, 03:33

Short shift fitted.
See Transmission cable thread.

Happy happy happy.
Ian D
Lotus Elan M100
Volvo XC60
Volvo S60
Squirtydog

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 24.03.2014, 16:09

Just wanted to say that I have modified the installation guides to include suggestions from those of you who have installed the Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kits.

I also re-printed the PDF and this time, put the associated reference pages in-line with the instructions - hopefully that makes it easier to find an associated illustration or workshop manual section.
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Sun 13.07.2014, 20:37, edited 2 times in total.
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 29.03.2014, 15:43

These prices ASSUME that payment will be made via PayPal using the Personal Payment, Friend/Family option.
Otherwise, PayPal will charge me 4.3% which I can not absorbe in these prices:

Short-Shift OMLY kits are no longer available for the standard/stock cables. I do offer kits for Bob B's cables and my cables.

If you have either an AB cable kit or STOCK Cables, I will make a special kit for you, but it will take a few days after you order to have it ready to ship.

If you want to buy BOTH the Short-Shift Kit AND a Shift Cable Kit, the total price is $595.00 (cable kit with wrenches AND short shift kit) + $95.00 International Shipping or $40.00 Shipping to the US.
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Tue 04.10.2016, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby m100sandra » Fri 11.04.2014, 16:56

BCN short shift & stainless cables fitted, what a diference!!!! 8)
m100sandra
Fanatic

Postby ccb056 » Sun 20.04.2014, 23:37

Just finished installing the BCN short shift kit, after a ton of help from British Car Nut himself we found out the the previous owner installed the Isuzu zone short shift kit. The new BCN kit fits a lot better, allows for much better feel in the shifting, and overall is much better quality.

Anyone still on the fence should jump off and get one of these!

:burnout:
1991 Lotus Elan Fed, Monaco White
Mobil 1 5w50, PureONE PSL14459, Redline MT-90
Piper 2.5 Resonator PCE; 21mm wastegate; Everest
Quaife ATB LSD, BCN Cables and Short Shift, Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R
ccb056
Enthusiast

Postby L8apex » Thu 15.05.2014, 15:03

I've been working a lot this year and haven't been able to find the time to install the short shift kit and new shift cables I bought from Brit-car-nut. I finally broke down and had my local shop (Brooklands British auto) install them. Good Lord what a transformation! As you all know the stock shiter is kind of a disaster. For me the the way the car shifted really hurt the driving experience of the car. I can't thank Brit-car-nut enough for his fine work and attention to every detail. With the short shift kits I've used on other cars you were not able to really use the setting for the shortest throw. If you did It made the shifting to stiff and "notchy". You had to back off and use a setting more in the middle of the available range. With this kit I was able to use the shortest throw setting and the car shifts like a dream. The transformation is worth double or triple what he is charging.
I think even Colin Chapman would smile about the improvement this setup gives the car (and he was hard to get a smile out of). If the car had been built with this shifter to begin with Lotus might have been able to get the old RWD lotus guys to embrace the car. The M-100 probably would have had a lot better sales numbers and actually made the company some money.
Rating for cables and short shift kit: 10 out of 10 :clap:
1991 red Elan SE
1969 S4 Elan SE coupe
2012 Fiat 500 Abarth
2007 Kubota B21 tractor with backhoe
Yes I know it's a tractor but it's a dam fine tractor
L8apex

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 15.05.2014, 15:27

Thank Mark. I appreciate your comments.

Another selfish plug: I have more of BOTH: Shift Cables and the Short-Shift kits in stock and ready to ship.

They are not that hard to install and really do make a difference.
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Rusty Wishbone » Fri 16.05.2014, 03:47

I'm currently driving about Massachusetts (did I spell that right?) in a brand new Ford Mustang rental car - very nice it is too. However, I was taken aback by the fact that the auto gearbox has a short shift mode for extra performance. Now I thought that short shifting was something racecar drivers do to conserve fuel, not to go faster. Has Ford got it wrong?
Rusty Wishbone
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Transmission, and Clutch