Gear selector cable gone!

Drivetrain problems

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Gear selector cable gone!

Postby KevB » Wed 30.04.2014, 11:42

Oh yes! Grin all over my face this morning :D as I had forgotten what a thrill it is to drive this car, and yes the cables are working fine!

Many thanks to John for giving good advice as he didn't have to, cheers mate. and too all on LEC who give their advice so freely :bowdown:

Regards kevin
KevB
Tinkerer

Postby JossElan » Thu 29.06.2017, 06:55

Hi all,

Just to add my own experience of SJS selector cables. I managed to get it all connected last night (with supplied bracket and no mods) but have two issues:

1) The gear assembly went back into the hole but it was very hard to bolt back into position - as if the cables were pushing the rear end back up (finally managed to get it bolted in with force).

2) I can select 3rd, 4th, 5th and rev but not 1st or 2nd. I hope that this is just the crossgate that needs to be adjusted at the gearbox endr - tonight's job! And I need to enlist a second party to tell me whether it needs to be longer or shorter. (Any idea of the top of your head?)
JossElan
Tinkerer

Postby John_W » Thu 29.06.2017, 14:19

Joss,

When I fitted new cables last year (see HERE), I found the same as you, that some undue force was needed to get the gear lever assembly back into the hole in the tunnel and bolted down.

The cables seemed to be hitting something, but I could not see any obstruction within the chassis tunnel. Once everything was connected and adjusted, I noticed that the cross-gate cable was hitting the sharp edge of engine where the engine and gearbox join. The outer cable was marked, but not damaged. By shortening the cable slightly, the curve of the cable is now away from the engine, and re-inserting the gear lever assembly into the chassis tunnel was easier (I did not feel as though I was forcing it).

As you say that you have difficulty finding 1st & 2nd because of cross-gate movement, this might be something to check.

John
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby JossElan » Fri 30.06.2017, 00:19

Thanks John,

I've managed to force it back in. Think I'll leave it as it is for now!

I've ended up with the same issue as KevB - the cross gate cable is too short when the bell crank is at maximum extension so I'm unable to select 1st/2nd. I've bought the following m6 standoff bolt which I hope to be a suitable and easy fix...

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/M6-SW10-25mm-M6 ... iid%253A10
JossElan
Tinkerer

Previous

Return to Transmission, and Clutch