Easy fit outer CV boots

Drivetrain problems

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Easy fit outer CV boots

Postby valimar » Wed 08.10.2014, 11:34

Hello All,
I just finish changing both outer CV boots and would like to share my experience. On the left side I choose a thermoplastic one (Hytrel) because I had to change the wheel bearing and on the right side I went for an easy fitting system from an Italian company called Hippo Red. Thermoplastics are indeed very much reliable than rubber but don’t have almost any elasticity! I took almost a day to fit it. About the easy fit one From Hippo Red it took me no more than 20 minutes and could do it in situ. I am very satisfied about this revolutionary system however I cannot yet say anything about the quality of the product. The price is high: about €44 for 1 piece, including sending from Italy. If you are interested just take look at this YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLrGNU_t83Y
Cheers, Rodrigo
valimar
Enthusiast

Re: Easy fit outer CV boots

Postby Ian T » Tue 14.10.2014, 00:39

Interssting, thanks for sharing the video. :)

Ian.
Ex-happy owner of no 117, built 1st May 1990. :)
Ian T
Fanatic

Postby alan e » Sun 01.03.2015, 11:37

I have just paid for one on amazon less then £10, has anyone fitted one lately and do they last ?
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Postby Andy_J » Sun 01.03.2015, 13:52

Fitted one 2 years ago on my K-plate Elan, Was easy to fit and got it through the MOT that year, didn't last 12 months though, split along the glued seam. Could be I got dirt or grease in the seam when gluing it up. Replaced it with one of the stretch boots, but they require more work to fit
90H BRG SE 48,000 Miles
90H Red SE 161,000 Miles - Breaking
56 Range Rover TDV8 Vogue SE Black 83,000 Miles
Andy_J
Fanatic

Postby Fetnas » Fri 13.03.2015, 01:22

I have one of those stick boots on an inner CV which has lasted well. I mucked up my first attempt of installing one of these due to the grease in that area from the original boot that has been nibbled by a rodent. I tried again with a second boot, the trick I used to keep everything clean was to wrap the drive shaft, and any thing else that could contaminate the boot, in cling film. I also wore nitrile gloves so these was no risk of contaminating the glue joint. I then glued the joint progressively and held each section for a good 30 seconds before moving on.

This seemed to do the job, keep it clean and it should do the trick! That said, I will probably swap it out for a solid boot in the future, but for now, I'm happy.
Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway
Fetnas
Enthusiast

Return to Transmission, and Clutch