Driveshaft repair

Drivetrain problems

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Driveshaft repair

Postby petsin » Mon 12.01.2015, 23:42

Hi people

I'm looking to get my car back on the road this year. One niggle I have with it is a vibration that goes through the car when I hit 70 or when I break anywhere from about 50. It doesn't feel like warped disks and I've check for run out and their within limits. I'm looking at the driveshaft as there's a certain amount of wobble between the drive shaft and the jack shaft. I've replaced the jack shaft bearing but the loose play seems to be more between the splines on the two shafts. I was wondering what kind of play is expected (if any) and what the options are as far as replacement/reverb?

Cheers :D
petsin

Re: Driveshaft repair

Postby Jamie N » Tue 13.01.2015, 16:57

There shouldn't be much noticeable play on the splines, but even if there was a very slight bit I doubt it would have the effect of bad vibration as such, sounds more like something being out of balance, or possibly wheel bearings , slight wheel buckle/unbalanced wheels , driveshaft inner bearings or seized brake carrier sliders, tracking or a host of other possibilities, difficult to diagnose suchlike problems without seeing the car, but they are some of the things I would look at. HTH.
Monaco S2 #406

https://youtu.be/MGiyiIFjUew Rubbery stuff.
Jamie N
Seal God

Postby Ade » Wed 14.01.2015, 22:00

Hi
perhaps a flat spot on the tyre?

Ade
Ade
Fanatic

Postby RichardK » Thu 15.01.2015, 20:17

Similar symptoms - I was convinced it was my CV joints, then Jack shaft bearing, then flat spots on the tyres....it was none of these.

Actually turned out to be worn wheel bearings. I only had 25K Miles on the car, but rather think it was a breakdown in the lub, once it goes then it does not take long for the bearings to fail.

Yes there is a small amount of play in the splines on the drive shaft. I would also check before pulling hubs apart that your wheels are balanced.

Good Luck!
CAPETOWN - RED 92 SE: V5 and LGM Turbo Installed
NEW ORLEANS - YELLOW 91 FED. Stock.
RichardK
Fanatic

Postby petsin » Fri 16.01.2015, 08:14

Thanks for the input guys. Wheel bearings only have about 10k on them. Shall work through all the suggestions!
petsin

Postby norman lovie » Fri 16.01.2015, 21:10

probably not your problem but just for info
rarely is a vibration from the brakes due to warped disc's - although it can feel like it is
it is usually because you don't have an even contamination of the disc all round
this effect can be caused by a few things - two of them are
1) after a hard stop - you sit with your foot on the brake - the heat between the disc and the pad causes a spot change in the disc's surface
2) car been laid up for a while - especially where there's moisture and you've got some road salt on the disc - you create this spot where the pads are sitting over the disc - leaving the hand brake on indefinitely in these conditions is a good one

the fix ? - some say its not fixable unless you skim the disc: i've found if you fit aggressive pads like ferado DS2500 and really belt the crap out of them during the bed in period ( as you should do) you can clear it - or atleast I managed to recover an expensive set of discs on one car doing this
norman lovie
Enthusiast

Return to Transmission, and Clutch