Shift Cables

Drivetrain problems

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Replacement Shift Cable Kit for ALL versions

Postby enrimoore » Fri 08.01.2016, 14:18

I am new in this excellent forum, so hello and happy new year everybody

I just purchased an m100 with a lot of issues, even if I drove the car
just few kms.

One may be gearchange: it seems good, but a couple of times the lever
seemed to "get lost nowhere" and it took some work to get it back in position.
And a couple of times the lever seemed to be in the correct position for
reverse, but it seemed to me the car was not moving, so gears not engaged.

It might be the levers/forks inside the gearbox, or it might be the shift cables.

Maybe some of you experts could suggest an easy test for the cables, by simply
moving the shift lever in certain ways and positions.

In case, I might need new cables perhaps by BCN, if possible

Best to every one in the forum
enri
enrimoore

Re: shift cables

Postby HJ2 » Sun 10.01.2016, 10:31

Ciao And welcome aboard!

Perhaps it helps to do a search on the forum about cable failure. Your symptoms point in that direction anyway.
If you have an S2, then it is possible that a crimp has failed, you can repair it for free. (i will try to post the link as soon as LEC works fine again on my laptop...) If you have an SE, there are several other options to repair your's as a temp. fix. Also i have some used but good OEM SE cables for sale if you'd like.
The best option if you still have the SE OEM cables however, is to replace them with good quality and well engineered after market cables before the OEM ones give you more troubles as they will probably all fail in the end.
Forum member Britt-Car-Nut has a couple in stock.

As for a test: Have somebody sit in the car and engaging the gears whilst you have a look with a flashlight under the bonnet to see what happens at the selector box on the gearbox. One cable is for the fore/aft movement and the other for side movement. If you know what gears could not be selected, it's easy to determine which goes wrong :-D Perhaps it is handy to remove the silicon pipe between intake manifold and the pipe that come from the intercooler on the side of the car so you have a better view

Good luck!

Edit: Here you go:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=18246&p=238690&hilit=Cable+crimp#p238690
& more info here:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=14821&hilit=Cable+crimp
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Postby clemo » Sun 10.01.2016, 17:22

enrimoore wrote:I am new in this excellent forum, so hello and happy new year everybody

I just purchased an m100 with a lot of issues, even if I drove the car
just few kms.

One may be gearchange: it seems good, but a couple of times the lever
seemed to "get lost nowhere" and it took some work to get it back in position.
And a couple of times the lever seemed to be in the correct position for
reverse, but it seemed to me the car was not moving, so gears not engaged.

It might be the levers/forks inside the gearbox, or it might be the shift cables.

Maybe some of you experts could suggest an easy test for the cables, by simply
moving the shift lever in certain ways and positions.

In case, I might need new cables perhaps by BCN, if possible

Best to every one in the forum
enri

Hello and welcome to elan ownership .
Our cars have a few issues with gear section .
thinking back to mine . i lifted the gear stick out from above and saw that the split pin had broken off .
it can be bodged with a re drill and a new split pin put through , That said all faults are not the same .

the `wiki might help
As will others that pop along .

All the best

Clemo

http://wikilec.9600.org/index.php/Gears ... eplacement

http://wikilec.9600.org/index.php/Gears ... eplacement
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby HJ2 » Sun 10.01.2016, 17:38

Hi Enri,

You now have posted the same post in 2 topics. Perhaps it would be handy to keep it to just one :wink:
HJ2

Re: Shift Cables

Postby Enright » Thu 14.01.2016, 15:01

I've done a bit of housekeeping, removed the duplicate and put the responses here until Enri decides whether or not he really needs new cables.
Striking fear into the hearts of duplicate posts everywhere...! :P

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
Enright
Modificator

Postby SteveMac » Fri 25.11.2016, 12:29

Hi all,

I am a new user to this forum and have recently acquired a 1990 M100 with gearshift problems. I have a pair of the later S2 cables to replace the old ones which are prone to failure on several counts on reading the topics here. Apologies to all who may have seen this topic covered many times before. I am not new to Lotus, having rebuilt 2 S3s many moons ago but the M100 is new to me.

Some of the forum users here have replaced many of such cables, HJ2 seems to be one such person! I would like some step by step instructions please, along with pics if possible?

Many thanks
SteveMac

Postby clemo » Fri 25.11.2016, 20:45

SteveMac wrote:Hi all,

I am a new user to this forum and have recently acquired a 1990 M100 with gearshift problems. I have a pair of the later S2 cables to replace the old ones which are prone to failure on several counts on reading the topics here. Apologies to all who may have seen this topic covered many times before. I am not new to Lotus, having rebuilt 2 S3s many moons ago but the M100 is new to me.

Some of the forum users here have replaced many of such cables, HJ2 seems to be one such person! I would like some step by step instructions please, along with pics if possible?

Many thanks

Hi steve ..
Welcome to Lec ..
Pop yourself a "hello" up in new members so you can get the full hello's back and if you are lucky the very knowledgeable HJ2 may pop along quicker than HS2.
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby HJ2 » Fri 25.11.2016, 21:37

You rang?

If you look at the links as per above and replace 'wikilec.9600.org.' for 'wikilec.com' You have 99% of the requested info :-)
@housekeeping: Will the original wikiLEC dress be restored? :poke: :bowdown: :cheers:
HJ2

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 25.11.2016, 22:23

The factory workshop manual gives the basic instructions for the cables change.

See page PDF Page 340 in the Workshop Manual v.6 found in the list of available manuals at the manuals link below this post.

Not many pictures possible since a lot goes on getting the cables thru the chassis and into the engine bay and then there is no room for a camera to show the details. The pictures from the manual are actually pretty good.

I have pre-installed around 60 sets of the uprated cables I offer and I used the workshop manual to get started.

Please be aware that the newer, S2 cables require a bulkhead attachment bracket that is different from the one used on the early SE (pre S2) versions.

Make sure you have that before jumping into the fray.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Saltire » Fri 25.11.2016, 23:49

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Please be aware that the newer, S2 cables require a bulkhead attachment bracket that is different from the one used on the early SE (pre S2) versions.

Make sure you have that before jumping into the fray.

John, just a quick question (I can't get into the garage at present because it's full of flowers ready for the wedding my wife is doing arrangements for next week). When you sent me my set of gear cables earlier this year, did it include the aforementioned S2 bracket? I know we discussed the fact that I have an S2 before I ordered, but I don't remember a special bracket being mentioned. Or do your cables fit either style of bracket?

Thanks and regards
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
Mrs Saltire’s 2022 Mini Countryman Cooper S
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 26.11.2016, 00:13

The cable kit comes with the modified version bracket: raised cable holes and slotted to allow for better alignment.

The bracket, wrenches and extra mounting bolt are taped together in the white box with the short-shift kit in the center of the cables.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby HJ2 » Sat 26.11.2016, 09:30

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:The cable kit comes with the modified version bracket: raised cable holes and slotted to allow for better alignment.

The bracket, wrenches and extra mounting bolt are taped together in the white box with the short-shift kit in the center of the cables.

... And everything looks beautiful too !

If you need certain pictures or get stuck with a certain step, please post it here.
We will guide you home to get the job finished.
HJ2

Postby Jamie N » Sat 26.11.2016, 10:07

Luckily I've never had any issues with mine, but if i do i will be adapting the EP Honda ones to fit the Elan, already had a good examination of them and they are pretty similar designs, quite certain they can be used, and the EP has a really nice gearchange as well. If it works it would be a high quality but very low cost option. :wink:
Monaco S2 #406

https://youtu.be/MGiyiIFjUew Rubbery stuff.
Jamie N
Seal God

Postby HJ2 » Sat 26.11.2016, 10:08

Hahaha, ANOTHER original Jamie product in the pipeline.
Keep us posted! 8)
HJ2

Postby Saltire » Sat 26.11.2016, 18:51

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:The cable kit comes with the modified version bracket: raised cable holes and slotted to allow for better alignment.

Brilliant, thanks. I can SEE the white box on the garage shelf, and as soon as I'm allowed back in there, I'll be straight onto it.

I have decided that my wife's use of the garage for flower arranging clearly means there's too much space in there - I need another car at once :lol: Now where did I put that advert for a nice S4S?
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby Saltire » Sat 26.11.2016, 18:56

HJ2 wrote:

... And everything looks beautiful too !

If you need certain pictures or get stuck with a certain step, please post it here.
We will guide you home to get the job finished.

Thanks, HJ - I must confess to being a little intimidated by such jobs. The electrical stuff is very straightforward, but I'm a bit lacking in confidence with the mechanicals, in spite of having worked on cars for 45 years. I think I've become more cautious as I've got older :wink:
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
Saltire
God

Postby SteveMac » Sat 26.11.2016, 20:24

Thanks to all who replied to me on this, excellent! Nice to see a happy to help bunch of Lotus owners
SteveMac

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 26.11.2016, 20:59

Saltire wrote: I think I've become more cautious as I've got older :wink:

That's not rational... When you're over 60 anything you do hasn't got to last as long as something you did at 30... by about 30 years! :lol:
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Return to Transmission, and Clutch