Weeping outer CV Joint boot

Drivetrain problems

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Weeping outer CV Joint boot

Postby danbrown100 » Wed 08.06.2016, 19:23

Hi all,

I was poking around my transmission today and noticed that my outboard CV Joint boot appears to be weeping...

Weeping CV Joint - small.jpg

What do you suggest I do as the boot has not failed? Can I simply tighten up the leeky clamp or do I need to remove it, clean and regrease the CV joint and replace the boot or do I need to do something more drastic?

Ta

Dan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Milford PA - 70 miles NE of NYC
1991 Elan SE, 54k miles, needs some TLC
1995 Audi A6 Avant, will outlive all of us!
1973 BMW 2002 Touring, currently off the road
danbrown100
Tinkerer

Re: Weeping outer CV Joint boot

Postby Giniw » Wed 08.06.2016, 19:57

I would suggest to clean it properly, and check that the boot has really not failed.
Then, check the leak later after a good test drive.

If in a few weeks you spot a new leak, you can try to tighten the clamp further, but it's rather hard: you will need a good set of pliers.
Giniw
God

Postby danbrown100 » Wed 08.06.2016, 20:28

Thanks for the advice... makes sense!

Dan
danbrown100
Tinkerer

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 08.06.2016, 21:17

Doesn't look like much grease has come out and if the boot is Ok just crimp the clamp up a bit more.
I have the 'special pliers' to do it and happy to lend them but you don't say where you are on your profile ... :chair:

The pliers look like this .... sharp jaws and plenty of leverage...

pliers.jpg

Edit - Just noticed your location is on your signature and not in the Location field ... :banghead:
Think you may have to source your own pliers but at least you know what to look for now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby dapinky » Wed 08.06.2016, 21:47

lotusflasherman wrote:
Think you may have to source your own pliers but at least you know what to look for now.

I used an old pair of 'standard' pincers and ground the tips of the jaws to a sharper profile with an angle grinder - didn't think about buying something proper when i could spend 10 minutes adapting something i never used (and I'm a poor pensioner, so can't afford to just buy tools willy-nilly)
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Simon_P » Wed 08.06.2016, 22:53

As above - just crimp a little tighter

Use a blunt pair of cutters or similar.

Failing that add a tie wrap
Simon_P
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Thu 09.06.2016, 10:47

dapinky wrote:
lotusflasherman wrote:

I used an old pair of 'standard' pincers and ground the tips of the jaws to a sharper profile with an angle grinder - didn't think about buying something proper when i could spend 10 minutes adapting something i never used (and I'm a poor pensioner, so can't afford to just buy tools willy-nilly)

Did you think I bought them Dave ? They were issued to Electricity Supply workers for crimping clips on propane bottle hoses. I used to lecture and train staff in the correct use of insulated tools for work on live electricity systems so I booked out a pair to show them an example of something that had a bit of red plastic on but was not an 'insulated tool' suitable for that work. I've found them very useful for lots of other things... and if I lost them might even BUY another! :lol:
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby danbrown100 » Thu 09.06.2016, 13:09

Thanks guys - off to get me some crimping pliers... I thing it could come in useful for other tasks as well!
danbrown100
Tinkerer

Return to Transmission, and Clutch